Profile Picture

Mixamo to Unreal Characters

Posted By stingray666 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
stingray666
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (333 reputation)Senior Member (333 reputation)Senior Member (333 reputation)Senior Member (333 reputation)Senior Member (333 reputation)Senior Member (333 reputation)Senior Member (333 reputation)Senior Member (333 reputation)Senior Member (333 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Since Mixamo has stopped supporting Unreal, I just got Character Creator and Pipeline, but cant seem to get my character into Unreal properly.  I am NOT making my charater in Character Creator.  I have an unrigged character in 3D Studio, which I export to FBX 2015 format with smoothing groups turned on, then I import and rig it in Mixamo and export as standard FBX, then I import that into Pipeline and Export to Other FBX and select Unreal Engine.  When I import that file to Unreal (whether using ToA or not) I get an error about no smoothing groups and/or bones missing - then when I try to open the character it creates errors about the skeleton and the skeleton wants to be rebuilt and the animation stops working.  I cant import any of these F BX files into Character Creator either, even using the standard fbxkey files.  They will import into iClone 7 but an Unreal FBX export produces the same result when I import it to Unreal.

Does anyone know of a pathway to get from a Mixamo FBX to Unreal standard skeleton?  Is there a way to re-rig in iClone somewhere?
Thx in advance
- Scott
but0fc0ursee
but0fc0ursee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
stingray666 (8/27/2017)
Since Mixamo has stopped supporting Unreal, I just got Character Creator and Pipeline, but cant seem to get my character into Unreal properly.  I am NOT making my charater in Character Creator.  I have an unrigged character in 3D Studio, which I export to FBX 2015 format with smoothing groups turned on, then I import and rig it in Mixamo and export as standard FBX, then I import that into Pipeline and Export to Other FBX and select Unreal Engine.  When I import that file to Unreal (whether using ToA or not) I get an error about no smoothing groups and/or bones missing - then when I try to open the character it creates errors about the skeleton and the skeleton wants to be rebuilt and the animation stops working.  I cant import any of these F BX files into Character Creator either, even using the standard fbxkey files.  They will import into iClone 7 but an Unreal FBX export produces the same result when I import it to Unreal.

Does anyone know of a pathway to get from a Mixamo FBX to Unreal standard skeleton?  Is there a way to re-rig in iClone somewhere?
Thx in advance
- Scott

Hello,

I've done this many times and will share what I've learned.

Smooth Exporting to Unreal:
"MATCH your skeleton to Unreal's Skeleton."
~ Retarget your skeleton from mixammo to Unreal using Unreal's Retargetting.
(Many have problems understanding how to do this.) Youtube

Note: I do not use Unreal, but I learned how to rig for games.
This is how I (flawlessly do it). "Create a Rig Template for Unreal"

Forget smoothing groups for now...
~ Import Unreal's (TPose or APose) to 3ds Max.
~ Import Mixammo character to 3ds Max

Mixammo:
"Clone / Copy the Mixammo Character"
~ Save the Skin.

Unreal:
1. Create a new skeleton.... using Max Bones. (MATCHING Unreal's Bones)
2. Name your bones using Unreal's bone naming convention.
3. Skin your Mixammo character to your new skeleton.
"Simply add your SAVED SKIN."

Now your mixammo character has the Unreal Skeleton.
Poof! 

I don't want to upset, nor frustrate you...
But...

I skip mixammo and rig and skin it in 3ds Max.... One Time.
It's NOT complicated.
1. You create and "FK" skeleton.... NO IK .... simple skeleton.
2. You COPY a mesh and Save it's SKIN.
3. Add the saved skin to your new skeleton.

You can use this "Unreal Bone Template" for ALL humanoid characters.
Practice Rigging.
You can do it.Smile

Edited
7 Years Ago by but0fc0ursee
but0fc0ursee
but0fc0ursee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
@stingray666,

Please understand that the method shown works best using... properly prepared "Game Characters."
You are aware of "Optimized Mesh's" for EVERY game character, right?

If you do NOT use properly prepared "Game Mesh's"...
Disregard everything I've said and....

Good Luck

Reading This Topic