Adding a hat - shadow problems

Posted By esemgee 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
esemgee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Trying to add a fedora (from, I believe, 'Party' accessories) to a CC2 character. Luckily I want him bald but still having problems. If I lower the hat onto the head a shadow correctly appears over the face, but once in place a band of light appears where hat meets forehead - where it should actually be the darkest place. I can only change angle and size of hat - there seems to be no other editable areas - I actually want to add some wear and tear. Any ideas?  
TheOldBuffer
TheOldBuffer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
The band of light can be adjusted by altering the shadow bias.  Edit the texture in appearance editor to add wear n tear. You may need to make a colour ID map for this using the uv map as a guide for more precise editing.

Homebuilt computer - Windoze 10, INTEL i9 9900 k @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC ULTRA, 16GB 3100 MHz RAM, Asus  Maximus Hero XI motherboard, Sound blaster Z series. iClone6 & 7 Pipeline, Crazytalk 8, Crazytalk Animator 2, Facefilter, Pop video 3, Hitfilm 4Pro, Cubase 8.5 Pro,

esemgee
esemgee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Many thanks but no joy. Can't find anything that would change the shadow bias - nothing named as such.
TheOldBuffer
TheOldBuffer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)

Adjust shadow bias in iclone in the visual settings pane.

Homebuilt computer - Windoze 10, INTEL i9 9900 k @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC ULTRA, 16GB 3100 MHz RAM, Asus  Maximus Hero XI motherboard, Sound blaster Z series. iClone6 & 7 Pipeline, Crazytalk 8, Crazytalk Animator 2, Facefilter, Pop video 3, Hitfilm 4Pro, Cubase 8.5 Pro,

esemgee
esemgee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Ah! OK - so not in CC2! Had sort of movement using 'conform' but didn't work 100%.

esemgee
esemgee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yep! That worked. Thanks. As a newbie though I have just seen the next problem - the time spent on creating in CC2 seems to be wasted - in iClone 7 the character now looks really plastic!  
TheOldBuffer
TheOldBuffer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Assuming your character has pbr textures, adjust the roughness value until it isnt plastic looking.

Hang in there, its a steep learning curve but it soon starts to make sense.

esemgee
esemgee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

It does seem to make sense. As you have just shown; elements are not really completed until they get to iClone, I feel this could be a weakness overall, but I sort of get the same with After Effects - you do the clever, tricky bits then have put them together in Premiere or another editor - however, they are complete and don't need re-tweaking. What doesn't make sense, and I think I have muttered about this elsewhere on the forum, is trying to find things! I am sure I have bought 'T-shirts', in fact have an 'essentials' collection somewhere, but can I find them? No! I see repeated files and folders as I wade through past and present versions of iClone... ho hum. back to 'downloads' and see where they went! 
I digress: thank you so much for solving my immediate problem!

animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 16 minutes ago
garry: Also make sure that in iClone the project is set to PBR and that all materials are set to PBR as well.

To be compatible with earlier versions of iClone, there is a Traditional shader system, besides the new PBR system. This can be confusing even for long-time users...Unsure

So if things don't look right it's good to check the PBR settings.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
garry.smout (8/18/2017)
trying to find things! I am sure I have bought 'T-shirts', in fact have an 'essentials' collection somewhere, but can I find them? No! I see repeated files and folders as I wade through past and present versions of iClone... ho hum. back to 'downloads' and see where they went! 

I went through and completely reorganized my CC and iClone stuff precisely because of this.  Now when I go to Clothing/Shirts I have a folder that says "Long Sleeve" and "Short Sleeve" and the T-shirts are in the short sleeve folder (along with a lot of other short sleeve shirts).  Did the same ALL across all of my various purchases and now I can actually find what I want quickly and easily.

Even better, I did this across iClone because a lot of content gets added in very odd places.  If you buy the UN Pack, for example, the hats (backwards caps, but they can be used forward by just rotating) don't show up in CC (other stuff does, but not those hats, as they are ONLY installed in iClone).  So I went to iClone, moved them over to my "Hats" folder in CC and renamed them ccAcc (from iAcc).  Now I only have one place to look for hats, thank God.

Everyone needs to decide what their workflow is (some folks like to add accessories to their characters in iClone, kind of like you'd dress someone up after they "woke up", but I like my characters to be fully rigged in CC and I can always change the clothes by just sending them back to edit them there -- much easier to only have one place to look for all the accessories I have).  But once you decide how you want to work, just go through and organize and you'll be SO much happier.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic