Profile Picture

Flicker lighting feature - with shadows?

Posted By thebiz.movies 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
thebiz.movies
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 hours ago
Hi all, 
I love the flicker feature from the point light tool.  However, as point lights do not generate shadows the light goes through surfaces such as a table that the candle sits on and illuminates the space under the table.  Any thoughts on how to remedy this aside from adjusting the effective distance of the light?  Could a spotlight be rigged to have the flicker feature? 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
This might be a *little* OT, but I much prefer using the new GI with Popvideo (or any video billboard) that does the flickering for you (and more realistically than anything).  Will respect everything and does shadows as well.

I'd post an example but I'm out the door for tennis (so when I get back if you don't figure it out on your own).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
Interesting.  So many new lighting techniques... I will give this a shot soon.  Thanks!

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

Edited
7 Years Ago by thebiz.movies
Skuzzlebutt
Skuzzlebutt
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
keyframe the intensity of a spot or directional (randomly)
optionally animate the rotation,
copy the keys over the entire timeline, (again randomly)
then attach it to a dummy and save as a prop,
this way you can change out the lights/atmosphere in a scene and not lose the flickering one.

you can go the extra mile and add a animated prop in front of the light to project shadows
and add more life to the flicker
the fan prop that was included in iclone 6 work wells for this.

Edited
7 Years Ago by budbundy

Reading This Topic