Profile Picture

Is there a way to make a character bodypart to follow a specific path?

Posted By thanosxanderian 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Is there a way to make a character bodypart to follow a specific path?...

Author
thanosxanderian
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Hello, I was wondering if there is way to make a character's bodypart, for example its hands, to follow a custom defined path. For example, if I want to make the character's hand follow a circular motion, I will create a circular path around its hands and subject the hands to follow that path. Is this possible to do in iClone? I have seen tutorials about path animation and all of them are about making a character walk along a path. How about for animations that doesn't involve walking? Is that achievable?
Thanks.
Am7add9
Am7add9
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
animate a dummy object  along the path
and use the reach target function in the motion section

thanosxanderian
thanosxanderian
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)

Thanks for the reply. But since I am a newbie to iClone, could you elaborate your answer a bit more?
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
thanosxanderian (4/24/2017)
Thanks for the reply. But since I am a newbie to iClone, could you elaborate your answer a bit more?

This is how I do a follow path reach target.

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

thanosxanderian
thanosxanderian
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Thank you very much for taking the time to make this video, I really appreciate it! I will try your suggestion and let you know if I face any problem.
thanosxanderian
thanosxanderian
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

I was hoping to create something like animating a sign along a path. Like in this gif, where her hand moves in a specific path with out her needing to stretch her hands? Is that possible? Or do I need to animate each step in a keyframe?https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e49c5663-57b3-45a2-8d80-2637.gif
Am7add9
Am7add9
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
if i was doing this
i would forget the path and just keyframe poses.
when your animating make sure to use at least 2 views
and have the timeline open.
(search youtube for tuts on iclone animation to get comfortable with controls)
use your gif for reference on timing and rotation-move-position(translation)

shortcut keys for views are {ASDFGHJKL}

Edited
7 Years Ago by maxae
michael7
michael7
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
thanosxanderian (4/25/2017)
I was hoping to create something like animating a sign along a path. Like in this gif, where her hand moves in a specific path with out her needing to stretch her hands? Is that possible? Or do I need to animate each step in a keyframe?https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e49c5663-57b3-45a2-8d80-2637.gif

If you follow Snarp Farkle's steps and have the path really close to her arm you'll get what you need.

Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
There's one free download on ShareCG that might help, There are others out there but I'd have to dig for them after I'm done with my magazine article.  I've had them for a while and they work best with the Genesis character to bring them into iClone from 3DxChange.  There's a lot of clean up to do but I found that moving the left hand out of the way on words that don't require it helps.

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

Reading This Topic