Motion Blur?

Posted By Foxstep 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Foxstep
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (597 reputation)Veteran Member (597 reputation)Veteran Member (597 reputation)Veteran Member (597 reputation)Veteran Member (597 reputation)Veteran Member (597 reputation)Veteran Member (597 reputation)Veteran Member (597 reputation)Veteran Member (597 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hi,

I am working on an animation and have a good amount of fast motions and spinning/rotations with props. I really like how it's turning out...except that it comes off rather hard on the eyes as-is.

Any tricks or tips on getting a motion blur? Or if CrazyTalk Animator 3 cannot do anything itself to help, what would be some options with the footage it creates?
Kevin.S
Kevin.S
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
You can always use Hitfilm express after you render out for effects like motion blur and many more its free and a great program you should have ..

Hitfilm express

Freelance Artist Kevin.S

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/57cedd8e-58c4-42ce-b2f4-9646.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5a59e070-66a0-4914-b0a5-b2dc.png 

Email: animatemyart@gmail.com - Web Site:  www.animatemyart.com
garylearntech
garylearntech
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Are you sure about that Kevin?  I'm no expert but I was under the impression (from work with other apps) that motion blur was something that was produced when rendering out the scene to your video file – and not something which could be added retrospectively.

Foxstep – I've not done any before/after testing (not made enough progress with any projects yet), but would enabling the Super Sampling option in the export window not contribute to your improved quality?  (Apparently it should be used in conjunction with the Anti-alias option being turned on in CTA3's Preferences.)

---
Cartoon Animator 4 Pipeline (always the current production version, unless otherwise stated)
Mac mini M1, macOS Big Sur (11.6.5)
Signature data last updated 2022-05-15

Foxstep
Foxstep
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (597 reputation)Veteran Member (597 reputation)Veteran Member (597 reputation)Veteran Member (597 reputation)Veteran Member (597 reputation)Veteran Member (597 reputation)Veteran Member (597 reputation)Veteran Member (597 reputation)Veteran Member (597 reputation)

Thank you, Kevin.S and garylearntech, for your input. Smile 

I've been playing with Hitfilm Express for about a week now (Pretty cool stuff!) and it seems to be making things better, though there are many artifacts popping up.

I gave Super Sampling a try, making sure Anti-Aliasing was selected. I think it's as smooth as ever, if not more, which is kind of the problem. Fast moving things naturally have some sort of blur, like when you wave your hand in front of your face quickly. It's just kind of...ow to watch what I have without.

My current idea is to try to create a "green screen" within CTA for separate parts. Basically, throw in a green background and export separate videos of the different moving bits of the animation. Then hopefully, I can apply motion blur individually and just stack everything together as one video, all without the extra mess. I am thinking just applying it to the full screen is just not good and may be why what's happening is happening.

If anyone has any extra input or any different ideas, I am all ears! I think Hitfilm and the Super Sampling will prove useful, so I appreciate the input so far very much.
garylearntech
garylearntech
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Sorry super sampling didn't solve your problem.  I can offer you a suggestion for your current compromise however - and this is one I have tested and used.
Instead of adding a green background in CTA3 and then removing it in post, simply hide your background layers/objects and export as Apple ProRes 4444.  The 4444 format includes an alpha channel which can be empty.  In the Scene Manager, temporarily hide the components you want to omit:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e37c3d57-9d41-474e-8a49-6b84.png

As long as you deselect the Render Hidden Objects checkbox (see blue arrow below) you'll get just your isolated objects in each of your output files.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c9db2965-b083-4821-9321-bc0f.png

I'm on a Mac and this worked fine when I produced a short prop animation which I added over the top of a real-life video, doing the assembly in Final Cut Pro.  I'm not sure if there's an equivalent WMV or AVI mode if you're on Windows…  Maybe you can still use the ProRes 4444 option if you have the Windows version of QuickTime installed?  Hope this helps…

Gary

---
Cartoon Animator 4 Pipeline (always the current production version, unless otherwise stated)
Mac mini M1, macOS Big Sur (11.6.5)
Signature data last updated 2022-05-15

Foxstep
Foxstep
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Thanks Gary! I will have to play with that. That sounds like it will make things easier to deal with, for sure! Fortunately, I am on a Mac, so lucky me, haha.

Something else I played with in the meantime was inspired by these tips for stop-motion motion blur. The main problematic piece spins while zipping across the screen, being followed by the camera for a bit. So I duplicated it a few times, adjusting each piece to have the rotation be slightly more off and have a low opacity. It looked pretty good at a particular part, but while moving in a straight line with the camera kind of following it, not so much. I think the sort of cheesiness of the trick shows through there more.

But it's good to know I've got some different options to play with. Thanks again! BigGrin
Edited
7 Years Ago by Foxstep
seabat7
seabat7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)

Is rendering out separate layers still the best method to simulate DOF? Is there a way to add blue to a layer that can be key framed? That would seem to make more sense than ha I gotta to pre- render each layer and assemble it all in something like After Effects.
Ibis Fernandez
Ibis Fernandez
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
motion blur can only be done in post using a NLE or FX tool.  You will not be able to do it natively in CTA.

You can simulate motion blur selectively either by using traditional animation techniques or flat out blurring out sprites using an outside program like photoshop. Just select the sprite you want to blur, export to editor, edit it, save and re-import. Not most efficient but it might work. for small selected stuff.

Simulating DOF from within CTA is also pretty eazy. Just a matter of exporting your BG elements to photoshop, apply gaussian blurr and reimport. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ad51c90b-00a8-459d-8ca4-2136.gif
Ibis Fernandez   |   (available for hire)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Professional Animator, Filmmaker | Creator of the highest quality (modular) G2 rigs for cartoon animator and developer of Toon Titan and Puppet Producer 
Author of Flash Animation and Cartooning: A Creative Guide
>>> be sure to check out http://toontitan.com for professional grade assets, templates, and custom tools for Cartoon Animator and more.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Ibis Fernandez
Ibis Fernandez
Ibis Fernandez
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Here's a tutorial on doing DOF inside of CTA.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ad51c90b-00a8-459d-8ca4-2136.gif
Ibis Fernandez   |   (available for hire)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Professional Animator, Filmmaker | Creator of the highest quality (modular) G2 rigs for cartoon animator and developer of Toon Titan and Puppet Producer 
Author of Flash Animation and Cartooning: A Creative Guide
>>> be sure to check out http://toontitan.com for professional grade assets, templates, and custom tools for Cartoon Animator and more.

Reading This Topic