Profile Picture

Iclone 6.5 Timeline Curve Linear Ignored?

Posted By Alon Dan 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Problem.png
Alon Dan
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hey All,
I'm trying to animate some simple actions, in this example:
I posed the character manually with the Edit Motion Layer (which is fun and I LOVE IT!)
But as you can see on the video, after I set 2 simple keyframes, even with Transition Curve Linear
The animation still acting the same... like it's none linear.

I don't want to compare it, but I have no other example, when I do such thing in Blender's Dope Sheet and a Linear Curve it should Slide the foot in a very straight linear movement.... I thought it should work the same in Iclone but I guess I'm doing something wrong?  

So... can you help me out here guys because I don't understand what am I doing wrong.

Sorry about my bad English and thanks ahead!
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
The "curves" only adjust the timing, not the movement. So a linear curve transitions at a constant speed from one key to another. The other curves, like "ease in" change how the transition speed changes as it happens. So, the "ease in" makes the transition start out out slow, and then get faster.
Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

rampa (1/5/2017)
The "curves" only adjust the timing, not the movement. So a linear curve transitions at a constant speed from one key to another. The other curves, like "ease in" change how the transition speed changes as it happens. So, the "ease in" makes the transition start out out slow, and then get faster.

Thanks for the info Rampa!  I didn't know it's only adjusting the timing.
So... how can I fix this?
I will ran into these issues more and more as I will animate more complicated motions manually.
Is there a secret graph editor or a workflow you can share with me? Smile
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

The iC7 page mentions that the graph editor plugin will be available with 7.1 release. It will a purchase, unless you already bought the "iC7/3DX7  Pipeline" bundle before January 2nd.
Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks guys! Smile

I didn't realize such basic animation task isn't possible in Iclone 6.5 
I just start animating manually and I found it really fun, but this might slow me down.

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Until it comes along, you might just want to add a few keyframes during the transition to position the body parts as the move. It'll be XYZ combined, but you can still get some improvement. It is a good idea to select "body part" when your doing that. Then it only adds keys on the body parts that move.
Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

rampa (1/5/2017)
Until it comes along, you might just want to add a few keyframes during the transition to position the body parts as the move. It'll be XYZ combined, but you can still get some improvement. It is a good idea to select "body part" when your doing that. Then it only adds keys on the body parts that move.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing... it's still not very stable nevermind how many keys I'll add inbetween the keys... ehhh
oh well, I'll do my best. Smile
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

It can be quite tricky, as the transition between keys/clips is linear (the motion this time, not the time Wink ). If your using motion clips, try and overlap them at good points, and then adjust the blend. Smooth curves with keys are "challenging" as it is now. But try adding a little rotation in the joint above the body part that is translating. Maybe?
Edited
7 Years Ago by rampa
Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

rampa (1/5/2017)
It can be quite tricky, as the transition between keys/clips is linear (the motion this time, not the time Wink ). If your using motion clips, try and overlap them at good points, and then adjust the blend. Smooth curves with keys are "challenging" as it is now. But try adding a little rotation in the joint above the body part that is translating. Maybe?

Yes, I did all these many tweaking in order to make a very simple motion to look... decent but, oh well, it's not what I'm looking for I'll just keep tweak and tweak animations I make manually until it will look decent enough to my taste.

Since originally I'm a professional 2D Animator, timing was never an issue for me actually it's very fun to animate in 3D using the keys based on what I know from traditional animation, but still... I can animate much faster in Blender for now with the dope sheet but as I said before I don't want to compare because the Graph Editor will be a huge improvement in Iclone 7.

The thing is that I must use what I got right now which is Iclone 6.5 and yup, I'm doing much more keyframes in-between to balance some "wavy" motions but it can't look good as it should, it's also a huge time consuming but I don't want to sound like I'm complaining because I actually enjoy using Iclone 6.5 and I managed to "fix" the animation but I can't say that I'll be happy with it as I'm a perfectionist and know what I want lol. BigGrin

Sorry about my bad English and thank you for your supportive spirit, I appreciate it alot!
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

That has not changed from the version you use. Still can't.

Reading This Topic