Character Creator -> ZBrush -> Character Creator pipeline errors

Posted By polaroid29 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Character Creator -> ZBrush -> Character Creator pipeline errors

Author
polaroid29
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (235 reputation)Junior Member (235 reputation)Junior Member (235 reputation)Junior Member (235 reputation)Junior Member (235 reputation)Junior Member (235 reputation)Junior Member (235 reputation)Junior Member (235 reputation)Junior Member (235 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Hi guys, 

I am using a special version of iClone & Character Creator for the current event going on, and I am having some issues with the pipeline as my first time using these programs. 

Ideally, what I'm looking to do is: 

1.) Make a quick ready to sculpt on base mesh inside of Character Creator
2.) Export OBJ from Character Creator
3.) Import OBJ into Maya, fix UVs, export for ZBrush
4.) Import OBJ into ZBrush, fix proportions, sculpt in details, etc.
5.) Export OBJ from ZBrush and bring it back into Character Creator to reapply the model's rig and get it ready for iClone. 

My problem is between step 4 and 5. When I try to bring my newly fixed model back into Character Creator via the "Create Morph Slider" option I keep reading about, the program either crashes, or gives me a "Base and Target are incompatible" error. 

Here's my model in Character Creator:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/bfd4e365-bc35-4af7-af4d-3c2e.jpg

Here's what I did to it in ZBrush:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ba9ddd5e-8b11-4ef1-8486-04b3.jpg

Here's the error I get when I try to bring it back into Character Creator:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/01fdda1d-721c-4073-8cb1-0826.jpg

Any ideas on A.) What the problem is and how to fix it or B.) what a better method to do this is? 
The programs seem like they have a lot of potential, but this pipeline is quite frustrating so far. 

Thank you for any help!

Best, 
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
First thing that comes to mind is that there has been a change in vertex count or order. Also, what do you mean by fixing the UVs? If the UVs are different from the original, CC will most likely not accept that.

I think you should start simple and eliminate the Maya stage so that you have a clean OBJ file to work with in ZBrush.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

polaroid29
polaroid29
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (235 reputation)Junior Member (235 reputation)Junior Member (235 reputation)Junior Member (235 reputation)Junior Member (235 reputation)Junior Member (235 reputation)Junior Member (235 reputation)Junior Member (235 reputation)Junior Member (235 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
animagic (8/18/2016)
First thing that comes to mind is that there has been a change in vertex count or order. Also, what do you mean by fixing the UVs? If the UVs are different from the original, CC will most likely not accept that.

I think you should start simple and eliminate the Maya stage so that you have a clean OBJ file to work with in ZBrush.

Thanks for the reply! The vertex count is the same since it is the exact same mesh, but yeah proportions have been fleshed out a bit and tweaks here and there. As far as the UVs go, the only thing I did was take the existing UVs and lay them out in one UV space, instead of each part having its' own UV space. 

That being said.. Let's say I do something as simple as take an OBJ made with Character Creator, take it into ZBrush, and change it from being a T-posed mesh to an A-posed mesh. Would that freak Character Creator out when I try to bring that model back in?
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
polaroid29 (8/18/2016)
That being said.. Let's say I do something as simple as take an OBJ made with Character Creator, take it into ZBrush, and change it from being a T-posed mesh to an A-posed mesh. Would that freak Character Creator out when I try to bring that model back in?

That shouldn't give problems, although I don't know if the bones would adjust properly. I haven't done much with custom morphs myself, so I'm not the greatest expert (far from it...Unsure ). Hopefully someone can provide a more definite answer.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

mrmdesign
mrmdesign
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I can confirm that it is probably an issue with the UVs.
I tried altering the UVs on a cc mesh and it stopped it from working.

I do get another strange issue in Zbrush though. Sometimes the mesh plays up on export without altering the UVs. I have found that working on layers and re-importing the unmodified cc mesh fixes it.

----
Designer, Illustrator, Artist, Developer, Modeller - Augmented Reality : Instagram and Facebook Camera Effects
www.realityaugmented.co.uk

Reading This Topic