Looping Texture Animations

Posted By Delerna 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Delerna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
iClone 4 used to have texture animations which were great for creating props that you could drag into your scene and they would just automatically animate for as long as the time line ran.
iClone5 saw the removal of animated textures in favour of using video's as the texture instead.
The only problem with that for me is that the animation will only run for as long as the video runs.
If you want the video to loop you have to go into the timeline and duplicate the video in order to make it run longer.
That's a pain when you have several props with video textures or you adjust the length of the timeline
I would like to see iClone have some way to make texture animations, be they videos or textures like iClone4 had or something else, automatically loop over and over for as long as the timeline runs.

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Texture animation works fine in iClone 5 but you cant create new ones. They have to be created in iClone 4.
I would continue creating them in iClone4 except the animation does not loop in iClone6.
In iClone6 the animation plays once and then stops. At least that is what it does in mine

But even if texture animations from iClone4 did still loop in iClone6 I would still like to see creation of automated looping texture animation within iClone6.

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
8 Years Ago by Delerna
Skuzzlebutt
Skuzzlebutt
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
just a note on this:
you can open the timeline, grab the end of the texture(s) and drag them
to the end so they play thoughout the scene

http://i64.tinypic.com/2nvartc.jpg

Edited
8 Years Ago by budbundy
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for the suggestion and yes you can do that which is not really time consuming or annoying when you only have one.
But like i said in my orriginl post i think thats a pain to do when you know it used to loop them automatically regardless of how long the time loop is and you have to go into, say 20 or 30 of them .... one after the other and do that.....Every time you use them in another project.....everytime you re-adjust the timeline length to fit the scene im working on

Anyway, this was just a suggestion for what i thought would be an improvement to iClone 6's animation abilities.
There are lots of different ways to achieve a particular animation in iClone.
Maybe i am the only one who still uses texture animations (at least I used to in iClone5)

Among other things I have been busy for a while leaning to use iClone6's new features and I
have recently started getting back into doing story telling projects.
Thats when I found the texture animations dont work like they used to.
But if no one uses them any more then this suggestion was pointless

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I used to use texture animations, but one problem I always found is that it only works for fairly low resolutions because all frames have to be spread out on a single image. So it doesn't really work that well for things like animated video screens.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Delerna
Delerna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

that is where using video as texture was a great improvement. I just wish i could make them loop automatically.
I found texture animation perfect for creating props where the animation was important and the resolution wasn't so much.
Things like animated neon light images on buildings etc. flowing water and lava streams........

Maybe i will start using particles and/or the new lighting system instead.

Its Just that i found animated texture was easiiest and looked good enough in many cases.
I use images instead of models for a lot of things especially when i am constructing scenes to see ihow they work for the story.
But i also find images and animated textures good enough for the final scene in many cases.
Especially now that we have tessellation

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
In iClone 6, under Props, is an Animated Textures category with one prop, Ani_Cube_01. It's similar to what you had in iClone 4 with multiple frames in one image. But instead of the .INI file, the effect is accomplished by animating the UV coordinates, so that just one frame is visible at the time. I had hoped that you could perhaps do a Collect Motion so that you could repeat the animation using a Perform option, but that doesn't seem to work. So you can sort of get the same functionality, but not in a convenient way.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic