Profile Picture

For Iclone, can we ditch the "creating Thumbnail" part of the save?

Posted By Jeffster The Mighty 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

For Iclone, can we ditch the "creating Thumbnail" part of the save?

Author
Jeffster The Mighty
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 days ago
I never need the Thumbnail and it takes SO MUCH time. My SSD saves a 700 MB scene in about four seconds. That encourages me to save often -- BUT -- it takes 30 seconds to create the thumbnail every time. Maddening.
Bigus
Bigus
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 days ago
I thought the same thing.
Thanks!

Embrace simplicity
Reduce selfishness
Have few desires
(Lao Tzu) 

animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I have reported the slowness in creating the thumbnail as an issue/bug, and I'm glad to see it confirmed.

Thumbnails used to not take any time in previous versions and even earlier releases of iClone 6, so something is obviously wrong. The solution is to fix this. I would be against "ditching" the thumbnail.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I need the thumbnail to figure out what is in the scene lol so please dont ditch it.   Otherwise everyone is going to be manually making thumbnails which takes a whole lot longer then 30 seconds Smile

I only have this  issue is whatever i am saving is very very large.   If its a single item the thumbnail is done in the blink of an eye.  If its a 700kb scene understandably things take longer so although i do find the time to create the thumbnail for large scenes to be exessively long .. I am in the habit of going and doing something else while it saves because it causes "blocking" of use of the software (which by the way is a software designer no no lol) while you wait. 

this issue with blocking needs to be fixed its true and fixing it should not mean ditching the thumbnail creation function in the codebase it should mean fixing the codebase so the software is usable while the thumbnail is being created ^^

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Jeffster The Mighty
Jeffster The Mighty
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

A thumbnail is a tiny graphic. They could just do a snapshot of the viewport and be done! Whatever they are doing now isn't worth the wait because I could care less about the thumbnail. I go by the filename. In fact,  I can't use a thumbnail from the taskbar.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/61e30385-ac61-4e36-a6fe-64ea.jpg
Edited
8 Years Ago by jjdigitalgraphics
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

I never use the taskbar option... I must have hundreds of projects by now, so the thumbnails are important to me.

IC does actually take a snapshot of the viewport to create the thumbnail. Like Urbanlamb says, it needs to be fixed, not ditched. The functionality has been around since time immemorial and has even worked properly in earlier releases of iClone 6. In fact, when IC6 just came out I was delighted because to me saving was much faster than in IC5.

Jeffster The Mighty
Jeffster The Mighty
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Like I said, there is no need to devote such time to rendering a thumbnail. It's like commissioning Rembrandt to paint an emoticon. I have no problem with a thumbnail as long as it's quick. It would be useful if the thumbnail were a snapshot of the viewport at the time of save. Not an preview render. Just a snapshot of the viewport. At thumbnail size, who will complain about the quality?
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

jjdigitalgraphics (2/21/2016)
Like I said, there is no need to devote such time to rendering a thumbnail. It's like commissioning Rembrandt to paint an emoticon. I have no problem with a thumbnail as long as it's quick. It would be useful if the thumbnail were a snapshot of the viewport at the time of save. Not an preview render. Just a snapshot of the viewport. At thumbnail size, who will complain about the quality?

What I'm trying to explain, but fail to be doing, is that it IS a snapshot of the preview window. And, even if it was a render, which it isn't AFAIK, it would be quick at this size, so the time is definitely not spent rendering. We just want RL to fix functionality that is currently broken. It doesn't belong here as a wishful feature, but you could enter it as a bug report, because it is a bug.

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

yeah its a bug that needs fixing cause its annoying.    This is a case of not requesting throwing out the baby with the bathwater.  We need thumbnails on our things the solution here is to fix the issue not delete anything or request it be deleted cause its annoying    The more things you make in iclone the more sets.props etc you have those thumbnails are valuable.    

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Edited
8 Years Ago by urbanlamb
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

urbanlamb (2/22/2016)
yeah its a bug that needs fixing cause its annoying.    This is a case of not requesting throwing out the baby with the bathwater.  We need thumbnails on our things the solution here is to fix the issue not delete anything or request it be deleted cause its annoying    The more things you make in iclone the more sets.props etc you have those thumbnails are valuable.    

Here here....a picture is worth a thousand words. I have so much stuff i would be totally lost without thumbnails.
File names will never say as much as a thumbnail does

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Reading This Topic