By Frame | v.s. | Realtime

Posted By Alon Dan 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Alon Dan
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hello All,
Before I'll try to explain my confusion, I must mention that I'm new to iClone and still learning.

OK, so... originally I came from 2D Animation (I'm a professional 2D Animator for many years), why I'm telling you this?
Simple, because in most cases I animate in 24 FPS (frame by frame... ) for the correct timing, sometimes in 25 or 30 if the client ask for it.

In my first attempt of animating a character in iClone 6 (using Character Creator), while the default settings are on realtime, everything works nice and smooth the FPS is always on 60 even when I attached so many props to the character while it's on the move.

I've noticed when I change:  "Realtime" to  "By Frame" everything still shows 60FPS but it moves much slower.
To my understanding "By Frame" is much more precise and recommended to physics calculations such as Hair, Cloth, and Dynamics in general...  and I'm planing to use all these.

Why am I confused?
I want my final render on 24fps, consider lipsync effects on specific parts on the timeline and more stuff I can't think about... but just think about a complete scene to render. so I'm not sure if the final render will look exactly like the Realtime mode (inside preview) or the By Frame...  since in preview they both show FPS: 60  which is realtime and not a final indication, I understand it just let me know that what I see as preview is not skipping frames, but it's confusing me which one to use to look EXACTLY like the final render?

My question is:
Should I work ONLY on "By Frame" mode in order to get the exact timing I see in iClone's preview?
or should I work with the "Realtime" mode? 

Can somebody explain me how should I "look" on the situation to get my 24fps run inside iClone exactly as it will be in the final render?

Thanks ahead for your patience and sorry about my bad English.

justaviking
This post has been flagged as an answer
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago

Hi Alon Dan,

In our eagerness to help, I hope you don't suffer from "too much" help.  Pinch

If an animated event happens at 37 1/2 SECONDS on the TIMELINE, it will occur at precisely 37 1/2 seconds in your rendered output.
That is what you should focus on.

I'll add some babbling in a second post in a few minutes...  But what I said in this post has been stated in various ways already, and that should be your primary concern.

P.S
Why does this post have a strangely-colored background?

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
9 Years Ago by justaviking
justaviking
This post has been flagged as an answer
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
INSERTED...
Responding to your question... iClone will not lie to you.  If an action (running, lifting a prop, falling down, etc.) takes 2 seconds on the timeline, it will take you 2 seconds to watch it if you are in "realtime" mode.

Ah... I got distracted while writing my previous little post, which gave Rampa time to cross-posted a very similar message.  "Hi, Rampa."  <waves>
Oh well... on with the real message...

REALTIME...

It's sort of weird, because you're monitor also refreshes at a certain rate (typically 60 Hz, or 60 fps).  A game or iClone might "compute" an image faster or slower than that.  So the "realtime fps" reported by iClone is simply telling you how quickly your system is able to process your scene.  In a way, it's sort of meaningless.

If you have a really slow scene, it will look choppy.  I had a very complex scene that crushed my computer, and it ran as slow as 3 fps.  Ugh.  It was hard to even edit.  But if something was supposed to happen a 37-seconds, that's when it happened.

In an effort to display events at the right TIME, iClone may skip some frames.  So it will only take you one minute to watch a one-minute animation, but iClone might have to "compute" only 60% of the frames in order to show that one-minute animation in one minute.  Otherwise it might take a minute-and-a-half to watch your one-minute video.  In that case, it would be really hard to animate motions that don't turn out to be too slow or too fast.  So once again, focus on the "time," not the fps.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH REALTIME?

People have mentioned "physics."    Suppose a ball is supposed to bounce on the floor.  If iClone skips (avoids computing) several frames in a valiant effort to play your animation at the proper speed, the ball might "fall through the floor" during the skipped frames.  At frame 110 it's above the floor, and at frame 115 it's below the floor.  It doesn't bounce, and you scratch your head wondering what went wrong.

BY-FRAME TO THE RESCUE...

If you switch to "By Frame" rendering, it will take as much time as needed to fully compute each-and-every frame.  So in the case of the bouncing ball, the ball will properly bounce because the collision between the ball and the floor will not be skipped.

As has been pointed out already, when you render your output (either to video or to a sequence of images), it will use a "by frame" method anyway.  So again, it doesn't really matter.

(In that system-crushing project I mentioned, it took me about 25 seconds to render each frame.  Don't worry, that is abnormal, and I was purposely doing a stress-test.  But the point is the resulting animation played at the proper speed.)

HOW TO USE "BY-FRAME"...

The term is "baking" physics.

I'll skip a couple of details, but if you have physics turned on (such as between the ball and the floor), you can play the scene "by frame" to ensure the bounce happens.  Then you turn physics off (on the ball), and iClone "remembers" the path that was computed when physics was active.  Now you can switch back to realtime display, and the ball will bounce even if a lot of frames get skipped.

Whether you "bake" physics or not, you'll still get the correct result when you produce your final animation.

CLOSING...

I hope this addition helped more than it hurt.  Be persistent, continue to ask questions, good luck, and have fun.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
9 Years Ago by justaviking

Reading This Topic