iClone Body Morphs - A Great But Underused Power

Posted By Lord Ashes 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
One of the staples of the DAZ Studio software is the multitude of body morphs available for the DAZ figures. Not just the large volume of morphs that come with the DAZ software but the millions of morphs that are available, in many cases free, for use in DAZ. You can get free packs with literally over a hundred different body morph adjustments.

This is why it is so strange to me that there does not seem to be a lot of custom morphs available among the iClone software. Although iClone does not make it as easy to add morphs as DAZ, iClone does support full body morphs. With G5 characters it was a little bit of a pain because of the upper and lower meshes...if you wanted an full body morph you needed to sync the upper and lower morphs. However, with G6 characters the whole body is one mesh and thus it is even easier to create full body morphs. Consider a character that can change from Nathan to a werewolf right before your eyes. Or character changing from a average build to a over-muscled build (try to describe a common superhero transformation without infringing on any copyrights). How about a zombie skull that caves in as it is hit by a baseball bat. How about a creature extracting its claws? Or a nose actually being flattened when it is punched? All these are just one mesh away from being reality in iClone.

Take a character mesh, export the G6_Body mesh or CC_Body mesh, modify it in your 3D editing program, load as a Expression Morph to your original character, and assign the morph to one of the 6x4 custom slots. Now, in iClone, you can use Face Puppet to apply the morph. Best of all you can either apply the morph instantly or over time (thus allowing iClone to show the transformation from one state to the other).

I am surprised that RL has not promoted this development more. In my opinion it is a very powerful option and I hope we see more Morph content in the future. I have even used this technique for Morph Props (props which can be animated or changed by using provided morphs). My Shoe Construction Set Base allows the morphing of a running shoe into all kinds of shoes (such as high heel, hiking, boot, dress and slippers). My Real Wear corset provides a morph so that it can be opened and closed (which would have been very hard to do using ordinary position/rotate functions) and so on.

However, it appears that RL does not think that Morphs are all that important. As of now, there isn't even any support in Marketplace to sell morphs. Yes, you can sell a avatar with morphs attached but this limits the number of morphs provided to 24 because 3DXchange only supports (6x4) 24 custom slots. What if I want to create a bunch of custom morphs, for example that add various monster features, and the set includes more than 24 morphs? I have been told that Marketplace prohibits the distribution of OBJ files in a ZIP (the method that I used to sell my morphs previously). This means if I have more than 24 morphs I need to provide multiple avatars with the morphs applied. But now, in order to mix and match the morphs, the customer needs to extract the morphs into OBJ him/herself and then apply the desired ones to his/her character. How cumbersome!

So I say...

RL: Please provide us a proper way for us to sell Morph packs which have more than 24 morphs (without having to spread them over multiple avatars).

Users: Get morphing! It is easy and can be very powerful! 

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
vidi
vidi
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Peter now has several times announced that will come a CC Pipeline version and that is certainly the possibility that you want here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)

Vidi, I think you missed my point. iClone already has support for full body morphs (which work on G5, G6 and CC characters). CC PIPELINE is needed for modifying any of the CC meshes such as the CC clothing or CC eye (but the CC character mesh is not a CC mesh...it can be modified using the Replace Mesh function in 3DXChange without needing CC PIPELINE). What I was saying is that unlike DAZ Studio where Body Morphs are one of the reasons that DAZ is so successful, the exposure of morphs in iClone (even though they are supported) has been minimal. A quick check of the Marketplace shows that very few products use dynamic morphs (morphs that can be applied in iClone using Face Puppet). Most contents just provide a static morphed base (e.g. my Buff Chuck, Athletic Chuck and so on) but very few actually using dynamic morphing. For example, we can use iClone and 3DXChange (as is) to create a character that can turn into a werewolf, hunchback, robot, rockman, whatever. And I don't mean just a base that looks like that, I mean a normal base that changes into the morphed base.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
vidi
vidi
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

iClone already has support for full body morphs 
Not realy . that is only  a side effekt of the Facial Morph Feature . more bad than good

to create a character that can turn into a werewolf, hunchback, robot, rockman, whatever

But the skeleton will not fit with extreme shapes 

Also You can not combine morphs . I think for that is now the CC the Tool in the Future and with the Pipeline we can create such morphs for CC. 

liebe Grüße vidi

Edited
9 Years Ago by vidi
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
yes what vidi said the facial morph although it can be done doesn't work well and its just a side effect of it.   Usually the hands get mangled for instance.    The other thing is the G5 skeleton never accomodated extreme shapes this is something they have been working on for G6 is the ability to accomodate more extreme shapes and it was announced as a feature.  I am reasonably certain this stuff will be present in the pipeline CC/exchange combo when its done.    

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

vidi (9/15/2015)
Not really . that is only  a side effekt of the Facial Morph Feature . more bad than good

That was my point. It actually works really great but because it was intended for Expressions it does not get recognition that it could.

vidi (9/15/2015)
But the skeleton will not fit with extreme shapes

You can do quite a bit without changing the skeleton. The same limitation applies to most other software morphs.
Also, if you need a different skeleton you can do that...but that has nothing to do with morphing.

vidi (9/15/2015)
Also You can not combine morphs.

As far as I know this is not true. You cannot combine conflicting morphs. But just like you can make your character raise an eyebrow and talk at the same time (i.e. using 2 or more morphs) you can do the same for custom morphs. Obviously if you get two morphs that try to modify the same part of the character then you may get some interesting result but you an apply multiple morphs. 3DXChange even lets you apply multiple morphs, at the same time, using a single Face Puppet movement.

vidi (9/15/2015)
I think for that is now the CC the Tool in the Future and with the Pipeline we can create such morphs for CC.

I think that Morphs and CC PIPELINE will be two different, yet somewhat overlapping things. CC PIPELINE, I am guessing, will be geared at creating things like CCCloth, CCEye, iHair and iAcc. From the fact that they made CC an external program, I am guessing that CC inside iClone is not coming any time soon. Which means if you are looking for a character transition inside iClone then you still won't be able to use CC. Just my guess. Besides CC seems to be geared at characters but Morphs have huge potential outside characters. Look at my Shoe Construction Set Base (http://city.reallusion.com/ContentPreview.aspx?i=JIC839c70afb08665d61) for example. One shoe base allows you to create an almost unlimited number of different shaped shoes by leveraging iClone morphs. My Real Wear Corset (http://city.reallusion.com/ContentPreview.aspx?i=JICe9a705bee243cd130) can be opened and slipped off even though the shape is contoured because of a Morph. By Bow (http://city.reallusion.com/ContentPreview.aspx?i=JICb963e6b8629b3c856) can bend and release because of Morphs. Sure the you might be able to reproduce these same effects by creating a complex bone structure to manipulate the objects but using a Morph is so much easier.

Just my opinion.

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

urbanlamb (9/15/2015)
yes what vidi said the facial morph although it can be done doesn't work well and its just a side effect of it.   Usually the hands get mangled for instance.    The other thing is the G5 skeleton never accomodated extreme shapes this is something they have been working on for G6 is the ability to accommodate more extreme shapes and it was announced as a feature.  I am reasonably certain this stuff will be present in the pipeline CC/exchange combo when its done.    

Content developers seem to be confused about G6 characters vs CC characters. These are two different types of characters and their meshes and content is not compatible. Both G6 and CC character meshes are (what I call) G6 meshes meaning they can be extracted via 3DXChange, modified and then applied using Replace Mesh. However, the clothing layer is different. G6 character have their clothing in the character mesh in the form of a G6 mesh (like the rest of the character). CC character, on the other hand, have a CC clothing mesh. Although you can export CC meshes, modify them and use the Replace Mesh on them, they will only show the modification in 3DXchange but not in iClone. This is what the CC Pipeline will allow us to do (among other things). The important conclusion from this is that G6 characters have their clothing made by editing the meshes of existing G6 clothing or by replacing the clothing mesh completely. Typically these complete replacements of the mesh are sold as G6 Cloth bases. You buy the G6 Cloth base that you like and then can apply textures/opacity to fine tune the clothing item. You cannot apply G6 Clothing to CC characters because the clothing is part of the G6 base. Clothing for CC characters, on the other hand, is based on CC bases (either the few free ones from CC or ones that you can buy from the CC Essentials clock). At this time the CC bases cannot be edited by you can apply textures/opacity to fine tune the bases. CC clothing will not work on G6 characters.

So as I see it, even when CC PIPELINE comes out, I doubt there will be any support for G6 characters in it. I also doubt that they will put direct integration into iClone so that you can record appearance transformations. I extracted a number of the morphs from CC and applied them to my CC as Expression morphs to allow me to transition the appearance within iClone. Previous I was even selling this morph set but the new CC EULA prohibits this so I took down the content from my store. However, as far as I understand, the issue was not with the process but the fact that I was selling unmodified CC morphs. This means anyone with 3DXChange can export the morphs (i.e. apply single morph, export Avatar, export to OBJ in 3DXChange) and then attach them (up to 24 of them at a time) to their CC character to allow them to perform the morph transition directly in iClone.

vidi
vidi
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

All is  to speculate of course .  we'll see what we get with CC pipeline.
I think  custom Morphs is the very first  main feature of CC Pipe. 

The same limitation applies to most other software morphs.

No,  that regulate ERC and a adjusting to shape action.

You cannot combine conflicting morphs.

Never hear the term conflicting morhs.
Fact,  You can not have more dials for mixing  morphs in iClone at the moment.
The Puppet Thing is crap for a serious body morphing system .
If you like it, OK, but I not.BigGrin

Also I think "G6" characters was the Alternativ Figure for iC at the beginning and now with CC obsolete. Yes we can still use it, but CC will be the standard base. 

What I want ?  create custom Morphs,  for a wide variety of Body Parts , mix and match. 
Additional  I want create Mesh(cloth, shoes ) that will conformed with the morphs .

And the realy burner would be for me ,  I can import my own figures and connect  it with the CC system . So that a User can customize and dress my Models. 
It need  not be fits with the another CC Character, but I want the same system.  

I can that all do already within Poser and DAZ,  so why not CC  for my favor App iC ?
e.g. I have create many dresses for my Cherry, but if I want to sell , I can only offer a ready dressed figure for now. The User can not choose self .
Except he would use DAZ Studio,  because all  works in DAZ  in the same manner for my Character too.
Of course, not all User would it do.  Therefore I would love a CC system for any kind of rigged biped mesh.. 

liebe Grüße vidi

Edited
9 Years Ago by vidi
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
yup time to wait and see the two original avatars were put out like that until they could prepare others this is what reallussion said.   G6 bone structure seems to have a few extra twist bones I see no difference between any of the new guys really.      I am quite sure we wont be waiting much longer and I think by christmas we will have all the new bits to work with to make neat characters.   Meanwhile I continue to have fun and enrolled in a clay sculpting course that looked interesting as the techniques as far as basic rules of certain things like human anatomy apply regardless if i am using voxel clay or real live wet clay.  I spend a good 6 months of the year taking courses in various interesting things either in 3d stuff or an art course because i find it fun ^^

CC is G6 and so where the two original all one needs to do is look at the labels in the 3dexchange to see this.  They are the same they simply completed work on the CC to make the original 2 morphable and gave them each a new name.   

I dont speculate there is not much point to it.   They are soon going to be releasing details on the cc pipeline which will remove the need for any further speculation Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Edited
9 Years Ago by urbanlamb
vidi
vidi
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Meanwhile I continue to have fun and enrolled in a clay sculpting course did Looked interesting as the techniques as far as basic rules of Certain things like human anatomy apply Regardless if i am using voxel clay or real live wet clay.
<
 Often I think we are very similar urbanlamb BigGrin 
Yes that will help you difinitiv
Bevore I began wit all this  3D stuff,  I have teached me self in Clay sculpting with Books, Internet, and many trial and error  * LOL *

I have still a old site of my sculptings  online, but now I' love 3D and all this RL stuff so much more.Smile

liebe Grüße vidi

Reading This Topic