Directory Structure Clarification

Posted By sterlingy 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
sterlingy
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Howdy Cloners,

I've been wondering since I started using iClone (about a week ago) if I did something wrong when I installed iClone. Subsequent installations of add-ons seem to show up in the right place, but I've been wondering if some things don't. Tonight, proved to me that maybe not everything is being seen by iClone.

I installed iClone in:
D:programs/reallusion/iClone 6

I installed the assets in:
D:programs/reallusion/DataContent

A bizarre directory structure was created; something like this:
D:\Programs\Reallusion\DataContent\Template\iClone 6 Template\iClone Template\

That path leads to just about everything. There's so much in there that I don't know what iClone program sees and what it doesn't. Tonight, I installed the iCar_Tool_Kit, which was placed further into the depth of the folders at .../iAnimation/iCar_Tool_Kit

I don't see any motions in the Content Browser.

Side note, I'm not asked where to install the content, that only happened when I installed iClone.

Is it typical that things aren't automatically recognized?
Do I have to manually import them
Can I simplify this horrific, holy-hell, of a directory structure? If so, how?

I also notice that on the rare occasion that I do have to import or load something mostly with textures, the default directory it opens is in another city. In the case of textures, one would think it would at least open to the directory of a texture that you might be replacing.

Am I nuts and alone on this?

~Sterling

Stick with the flock, end up a lamb chop!

--------------------- GEAR --------------------
MSI G60 Ghost
AMD 2700X 8 Core @ 4.3GHz Asus Astrix RTX 2080Ti 32GB Ram Samsung 21:9 3440x1440 Monitor
Perception Neuron Mocap (2)

Reallusion Pipeline Suite 3D Studio Max Modo 901 Unreal Engine 4 Zbrush Allegorithmic Substance LIVE Adobe CC

wires
wires
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
What you describe is correct.

During installation you can select the path for both your default and custom folders. If you choose the same path for both then you end up with:

Drive:\Folder\Custom\iClone 6 Custom\containing over 40 sub-folders

Drive:\Folder\Shared Custom\

Drive\Folder\Template\iClone 6 Template\Content Readme\

Drive\Folder\Template\iClone 6 Template\DefAvatar\

Drive\Folder\Template\iClone 6 Template\iClone Template\containing over 40 sub-folders

Motions can be found under the Animation Tab in the iClone Content Manager. Textures can be stored in several different places, depending on the type of texture being used. iClone will always open the last texture folder accessed by the user, and this may not always be the right one needed for the current operation.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Thanks for the info, but can I change the root folder for the directory structure, after it's been installed?

Why do you think the iCar_Tool_Kit motions aren't showing up in my content explorer?

-Sterling

MSI G60 Ghost
AMD 2700X 8 Core @ 4.3GHz Asus Astrix RTX 2080Ti 32GB Ram Samsung 21:9 3440x1440 Monitor

Reallusion Pipeline Suite 3D Studio Max Modo 901 Unreal Engine 4 Zbrush Allegorithmic Substance LIVE Adobe CC

wires
wires
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
The directory structure for content can only be changed after installing by making modifications to the Windows Registry. Since I don't have the Car Tool kit I can't answer your question regarding the motions.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

wires (9/3/2015)
The directory structure for content can only be changed after installing by making modifications to the Windows Registry. Since I don't have the Car Tool kit I can't answer your question regarding the motions.

WOW!!!! Talk about a design flaw!

-Sterling

MSI G60 Ghost

Reading This Topic