Profile Picture

How much Hard Drive space are you using?

Posted By KenCoon 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
KenCoon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I am getting my new computer this week and am wondering if I should go with the 500GB Hard Drive. I have one on the present computer and the other one my son uses and they are no way close to being full. I am just wondering if the Hard Drive would still be less than half full when the computer is outdated later if i went with a 1TB Drive. Seems like a waste of money to get something I may never use.
KenSmile
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
the more the better. consider your 3D library will be 3 parts - assets and projects, audio, and final video / renders .... then there's everything else you do on your computer and virtual memory, and the fact that you are like me and like to always play with new software is going to eat up your drive, and what about backups ?

once your drive starts getting full your virtual memory will shrink and adversely affect performance.

Funny thing about computers, you can never have too much of everything. plus drives are much cheaper these days

Edited
9 Years Ago by planetstardragon
KenCoon
KenCoon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
With all the crazy stuff I have on my hard drive now including IC5.51 and all the stuff I have with it, running windows 7 with service pack1 and everything that goes with it including all those other programs I have on here, I am only using 271GB out of 410Gb. I also have Linux Ubuntu on here though I don't use it much.
The other computer will not have all of this stuff on it. I am keeping this one with 5.51 on it.
Of course, you know I will probably just add the other 500GB and make it 1TB. Then I can always add a second 1TB if I need it later. Not real expensive right now.
KenSmile
colour
colour
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
KenCoon (1/11/2015)
I am getting my new computer this week and am wondering if I should go with the 500GB Hard Drive. I have one on the present computer and the other one my son uses and they are no way close to being full. I am just wondering if the Hard Drive would still be less than half full when the computer is outdated later if i went with a 1TB Drive. Seems like a waste of money to get something I may never use.
KenSmile

1) I have 2 x 500GB Internal HDDS & 1 x 500GB USB External Drive for System Backups, Ken

2) 2nd Internal HDD is infrequently used, these days.

3) If you're not also an NLE Program Editor, Capturing a lot of Video, you don't need a 2nd Internal HDD.

4) 500GB is more than sufficient for Running iClone & storing a fair-amount of Content, purchased since iC1.5, here.

5) IMO, an External Hard Drive is essential for System Backups. Connect / Backup & then disconnect. If kept connected, it "can" become infected with Malware, as well as your Internal Drive.. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

animagic
animagic
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I just checked, and I have about 125 GB for iClone 5 content, which also includes content from previous versions that I copied over. I also took advantage of some recent sales of old content, which is still quite useable. I use the same drive for video editing and that takes up a lot of space.

Currently I have a pair of 1 TB drives for data. It is best to make sure drives don't get overly full, because it hurts efficiency and reliability. About 80% is the max I would say, less is better.

In the US technology is cheap, so I went with 1 TB drives at the time. Today I would select at least 2 TB. I also have an external 3TB drive for nightly back-ups. Backups of iClone projects have saved me occasionally when I accidentally overwrote a project...Blush

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic