Exactly what is "Speed Tree"?

Posted By rcsinger29 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
rcsinger29
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I am uncertain about exactly what "speed tree" means. I have seen the video where they show the level of detail change but this can be enabled on props as well. What is it about the new "speed tree" that is so great? Run time was effected by large tree scenes in IC 5. Is there something about the new "Speed Tree" that makes it so much better than the previous iteration?

jann
jann
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I was wondering about the same.

Seems to be a totally new kind of virtual plants that are adjustable in many ways?
www.speedtree.com
http://youtu.be/eHlKRU5D6Z8

Don't know if Reallusions SpeedTree is the same product?

That new "Total Plants 2 - Botanical World" seems interesting. But it's bit difficult to figure out if this a genuine SpeedTree collection, or some kind of Reallusions version of that? Description talks about "...new amazing iTree system". I must admit that i'm tempted. But i already have "Total Plants-Biosphere Collection", and although it's quite old (wasn't it made for iClone3?), the quality is still acceptable for my needs.
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
IC5 and before had a simple version of Speed Tree, which is indeed from the same source as Speed Tree. I assume RL just licensed the technology.

The "old" speed tree you could apply wind to but that could not be animated. There were also artifacts if you had a whole bunch of then and were to zoom out.

The new speed tree has a number of improvements (it is still licensed from Speed Tree).

There is a wind tool, such that wind can be made varying between values, which gives a more natural effect. You can also animate those values, as well as the number of gusts.

You can now plant trees using a planter (as you could with grass), so it's easier to create a wooded area.

I thought you could also do something with the textures, but I don't see that.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

colour
colour
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
"You can now plant trees using a planter (as you could with grass), so it's easier to create a wooded area."

That was a new Feature (Tree Brush) in iC5, Job. See Screenshot. So nothing new there, then.......Just saying Wink

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited
10 Years Ago by colour
4413Media
4413Media
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
I was curious about that, so I just decided to go ahead and try out the entire pack. You need to have the patience, the download takes a long time firsthand, so that's a big disadvantage.

I'll show you the difference between the two through photos.

Both are katsura, the left is G5 and the right is the new G6.

Comparison of leaves

Katsura G6

Katsura G5

I tried the LOD thing too side by side. G5 on left and G6 on right.

Hopefully it helps.

iClone Certified Director and makes miserable Westerns.
Edited
10 Years Ago by BenjaminTuttle
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Months Ago
Forgive me for being a bit slow, but is everything on this page the "G6 Speedtree"?

http://www.reallusion.com/ContentStore/iClone/pack/Botanical_World/default.aspx

Thank you SO much for the side-by-side comparison.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

RB3006
RB3006
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Yes ........... I bought the pack ... looking really great . I regret nothing w00t
Robert

Gruß
Robert

DANKE für Haare und Kleidung:, die nicht durch den Avatar geht !!! Rolleyes

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Months Ago
Thanks.  It's on my list.  Smile

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (37.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.2K reputation)

Last Active: 28 minutes ago
These new Speedtree iTrees are much nicer. Some of the old one's have rendering issues in iC6, but many are fine. As Animagic said, the wind control is quite good. The old ones just kind of shake, but the new ones sway. The texturing and modeling is superior. There seems to be much more variety of each species as well.

The materials cannot be edited, and that is because of the special format they are in that allows for the high-performance in real-time engines. Other game engines use Speedtree as well.

The intro price is actually pretty good, especially when you throw your best coupon at it.
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
colour (12/24/2014)
"You can now plant trees using a planter (as you could with grass), so it's easier to create a wooded area."

That was a new Feature (Tree Brush) in iC5, Job. See Screenshot. So nothing new there, then.......Just saying Wink

Well, what do you know, I never noticed that...Blush

But, other improvements have already been pointed out, by more eloquent and knowledgeable members...w00t

I have the old biosphere bundle and treated myself to this new edition.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic