Physics Toolbox

Posted By gcshep 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
gcshep
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Hi I ‘am trying at the moment to do a video of Thomas the tank engine for my grandson.

I have been trying to use the transforming linear movement to rotational power – piston in the physics toolbox instructional page and I have given I have followed the instructions to the letter and still cannot complete as per the demo.

So I was wondering does anyone know of good video tutorial please.

I have posted the link below as to what I am talking about.

http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/help/plug-in/Physics_Toolbox/Advanced/04_Sliders/Transforming_Linear_Movement_to_Rotation_Power%20_Piston.htm

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to one and all.

George

colour
colour
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
See Screenshot:

I've quickly Imported a Google 3D Warehouse SKP Model into 3DXChange.

IMO, you would need to separate the top from the base/pistons & wheels by adding them as Sub-Props in 3DXchang, First.

Have you done that yet?

Mark is the expert & has a Tut for 4 Wheel drive that could be used as an example.

Mark's Tuts are here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB19A9CF2BCAE5FAF. Scroll through them.

ADDED - Can't see it @ first glance. But he deffo did one.

Screenshot:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited
10 Years Ago by colour
gcshep
gcshep
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)

Thanks for the info had a look but could not find anythink

Regards

George
colour
colour
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

gcshep (12/5/2014)
Thanks for the info had a look but could not find anythink

Regards

George

Ok - Looked @ TUT. Complete Gobble-de-Gook to me. As are all Reallusion's Tuts & Use(less)er Manual. Ermm

However; Tut is using Dummies. IMO, Those Dummies need to be Attached to Tank Engine Sub-Props, as per my first Post.

Try Sending Mark a PM, Linking to your Thread.

He might show-up anyway.

Good luckSmile

In the meantime - Anyone-else?

mark
mark
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Sorry that's a physics prop that I haven't worked with. Are you trying to just make it "look" like it's driving the wheels (I assume that's what you're after) or do you really want it to move the train along the tracks with real physics?

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

gcshep
gcshep
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi Mark
You are right in assuming I would like to just make it “look” like they are driving the wheels.

Regards

George
colour
colour
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I've made a start (See Screenshot), 'cos I like the idea of Pinhead driving Thomas The Tank Engine BigGrin

Tank Engine is Hidden, showing Wheels & Pistons Sub-Props.

This is primarily for my own education & done in my own time. Finish date prob after Xmas. Don't know.

If it works (Which it prob won't), I could prob eventually get the working Prop to you, if you still want it by then.

BTW - It's over 30,000 polys. But no prob here.

In the meantime - I expect Mark's producing a nice Video TUT, to put Thomas on the right track for youWink

gcshep
gcshep
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I have got as far as you but still keep tackling those instructions will let you know it I get anywhere with it if not then yes please on the offer.
Best Regards
George
colour
colour
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

gcshep (12/6/2014)
I have got as far as you but still keep tackling those instructions will let you know it I get anywhere with it if not then yes please on the offer.
Best Regards
George

Just a quickie observation, looking @ my Screenshot & not even looking @ TUT @ the moment.

1) Wheels need to be Linked to Tank Engine body.

2) Pistons (Which don't show as "Pistons"), need to be Attached to wheels.

3) All Wheel Pivot Points need to be same @ centre of "Axle" (Edit Pivot may be needed)

4) All "Pistons" need to do, is "Rotate" along X Axis?, with their own Pivot Points (Edit Pivot Point may be needed)

5) Not too sure that Physics Toolbox is even needed. I'll test with 1st wheel & "Piston", keyframing Rotation, to suss-out the Motion. It maybe that Attaching 2nd & 3rd "Piston" to first, is all that's needed. Don't know. Initially "Trial & Error". 

Won't Post-again until I've sussed it.

Reading This Topic