Profile Picture

Create a new or modifying an existing persona?

Posted By Snarp Farkle 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
QuestionMark
Snarp Farkle
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
Hi everyone,

I've been searching for hours on the forums for an answer to this. There used to be a Reallusion Persona Generator page that allowed you to modify or create your own persona, that link no longer works.

Is there a way in iclone 5.5 to do this? Unsure

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

rampart
rampart
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Try these links

http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/help/iclone5/PRO/

In the search box upper left corner enter "new for 5.5"

When page pops up you will see persona in bold letters

http://developer.reallusion.com/amleditor.aspx

Edited
10 Years Ago by rampart
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Try these links

http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/help/iclone5/PRO/

In the search box upper left corner enter "new for 5.5"

When page pops up you will see persona in bold letters

http://developer.reallusion.com/amleditor.aspx

Thanks @rampart for your reply and pointing me to the training page, I hadn't seen that page before and will refer to it from time to time for more insight, nice to have them all in one place for easy reference! I've run across a few of your posts along the way too and appreciate you taking the time to look into this. Smile

I followed the links you provided and found a wealth of information, but there still isn't anything there that tells me how to create or modify a persona so that I can have quick access to the animations right there in the avatar instead of having to stop everything to go get the animation when I need it. The links there just led me back to where I started. Sad

What started me on this quest is when I ran across an old iClone 4 training page I believe. That's where I first learned about the Reallusion Persona Generator and Googling that term led me to this page; (http://iclone-wiki.wikispaces.com/AML), which had this link when doing a search for 'persona'; Reallusion Persona Generator (http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/ic_scriptgenerator.aspx) WHOOHOO I thought! w00t

All this link does though is take me to a Reallusion 404 not found page. I've spent the better part of a day looking into this and maybe I missed something, but it has just been a full circle of one link leading to several other links then almost all of them leading back to the Wiki which isn't there anymore, then follow all the links on the lost and found page for the Wiki which finally leads you to the Wiki which just starts the full circle again! lol, I'm getting dizzy! Hehe

This might sound trivial to some but that's what I'm looking for, a way to create a new or modify an existing persona file. There's got to be a way, there was one for earlier versions and I don't mind doing it myself, I just need to know how!

Exclamation MarkHOLD ON... !!!

I just clicked on the links you provided one more time just for the heck of it and this time this link; (http://developer.reallusion.com/amleditor.aspx) led me to a different page and I'm not kidding either! Hahaha! BigGrin This page has a download link to the AML Script Editor so I'm going to try this out and will report back if I'm successful, as soon as I nail my eyelids open so I can keep going that is! Wink

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

Edited
10 Years Ago by giarbi
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Oh poo... The AML Editor requires iClone 3 to be installed, I don't have that one damnit! Ermm

Oh well on we go, I will figure this out!

Exclamation MarkJUST IN...

I've now come across this forum post that describes how to modify a .lua or .aml file using a text editor. (https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic112702-14-1.aspx)

These files hold the persona for the character, so now I'll try that! Smile

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 27 minutes ago
The AML editor is a stand alone. I recommend associating your.aml with Textedit or some such editor, as you will need to edit the file paths in the final section of the AML. The editor assumes your paths start from a different place, and adds a "wildcard". The final section of the AML file is pointers to where all the animations are on your hard drive. It'll throw in a lot "$" at the beginning. This was a "wildcard" for iClone to know to start looking in the "Template" folder. It's far easier to just use complete path names and get rid of the "$$" it sticks in front of "C:\etc. Then it works fine.

Its help file works (online documentation), but is by odd examples more than a user manual. There are also tool tips if you hover over words in the editor window.

You can start from scratch or open existing AML files. Not all of them are compatible. Also, save your AML files into your "Persona" directory and add them by double click to your character, as they will not import.

If you only need items under the "Perform", then you can send your avatar to 3DXchange, add motions to the library in 3DXchange, and then export your avatar (from the file menu). There is a RL tutorial somewhere for this I think.
Edited
10 Years Ago by rampa
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The AML editor is a stand alone. I recommend associating your.aml with Textedit or some such editor, as you will need to edit the file paths in the final section of the AML. The editor assumes your paths start from a different place, and adds a "wildcard". The final section of the AML file is pointers to where all the animations are on your hard drive. It'll throw in a lot "$" at the beginning. This was a "wildcard" for iClone to know to start looking in the "Template" folder. It's far easier to just use complete path names and get rid of the "$$" it sticks in front of "C:\etc. Then it works fine.

Thanks again rampa for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it alot. Smile

I couldn't even get the AML Editor to start up, I got an error box with an OK button stating that there was some .dll files missing and clicking OK just closed the interface. From what it was looking for I assume it was an iClone 3 library file of some sort.

You can start from scratch or open existing AML files. Not all of them are compatible. Also, save your AML files into your "Persona" directory and add them by double click to your character, as they will not import.

If you only need items under the "Perform", then you can send your avatar to 3DXchange, add motions to the library in 3DXchange, and then export your avatar (from the file menu). There is a RL tutorial somewhere for this I think.

I did try opening the 'Benny.aml' file found in the persona folder with NotePad++ to see what needed changed to do what I wanted. I use NotePad++ as an editor because it puts everything nice and neat with indentations and such, and the search/replace function really helps a lot. The only success with this method so far is when I first just saved a copy of the file as '0Benny.aml', as an example, this shows up in the persona list and I can load it to my avatar and all the Benny functions work. However, I tried changing the various lines for the 'Sit' file with a short 'dance' one, for instance, following the paths and changing file names and so on, but when saved and then double clicking to load it to my avatar, I don't get any perform menu at all! Sad

I think it would help if I new the hierarchy a little better so I knew for sure what lines needed to be changed, or what lines I needed to copy from to just write my own file.

As for using 3Dxchange, I have been down that road too, several times, and so far not able to right click on my avatar after exporting from 3Dxchange and find the saved animations there at all, this would do for me if I could get it to work. I follow the tutorials and videos as best that I can but I guess I will need to spend more precious time researching how to do these seemingly simple tasks!

For now I'm just going to pry the nails out of my forehead that are holding my eyelids up so I can close my eyes and get some rest! Wink

Edited
10 Years Ago by giarbi
Cricky
Cricky
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Skype ID= learn.iclone

Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
giarbi (10/7/2014)
[quote]

As for using 3Dxchange, I have been down that road too, several times, and so far not able to right click on my avatar after exporting from 3Dxchange and find the saved animations there at all, this would do for me if I could get it to work. I follow the tutorials and videos as best that I can but I guess I will need to spend more precious time researching how to do these seemingly simple tasks!

For now I'm just going to pry the nails out of my forehead that are holding my eyelids up so I can close my eyes and get some rest! Wink

I have been down that road too, several times, and so far not able to right click on my avatar after exporting from 3Dxchange

To add (RIGHT-CLICK) performs to a character from 3DXchange, you just have to ensure the motions are not only in the Motion Library portion, but also applied to the Perform Editor section below it.. (Shortcut "M"). If you do that the Right-Click performs are added to the persona of the avatar. Then you have to EXPORT them to iClone, NOT APPLY them.

Applying them back to iClone does not write the persona, only exporting them.

Edit to clarify..

The character is exported back to iClone as a NEW Avatar, not the motions themselves, as they are only linked in through the Motion Library. The persona can then be applied to other characters once in iClone by saving it and then importing to other characters. It also pays to keep the motions used in the location where the persona was based on, or it will fail; so keep your organization of directories consistent or you would have to rebuild the persona again based on new locations of the motions applied to it..

SKYPE ID: rc.650

http://city.reallusion.com/store/ModuleExpand.aspx?id=GS634545170497417354&mdid=18866

http://city.reallusion.com/ContentTag.aspx?tagname=Cricky&AuthorID=20081020688550191201#]Reallusion Store Content

" If I had Alzheimer's (Old Timers), would I know it? "
Edited
10 Years Ago by Cricky
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

(From Cricky) Applying them back to iClone does not write the persona, only exporting them.

Edit to clarify..

The character is exported back to iClone as a NEW Avatar, not the motions themselves, as they are only linked in through the Motion Library. The persona can then be applied to other characters once in iClone by saving it and then importing to other characters. It also pays to keep the motions used in the location where the persona was based on, or it will fail; so keep your organization of directories consistent or you would have to rebuild the persona again based on new locations of the motions applied to it..

AH-HAA!! SUCCESS!! w00t

Thanks Cricky, It took me a while but I understand it now!

Exporting the geometry and animations as a new avatar has solved the persona creation mystery for me! I knew it had to be simple... somehow.

So if I have a motion that I got from another bvh source and exported that as an iMotion in 3dxchange, I will have to save it to the same location as the motions stored in the persona profile, as an example. That would explain why I couldn't get them to work before, they were in the custom template folder, not the standard template folder!

Ok so I'm going to play around with this a bit and add/delete parts of the persona so that it will fit my avatar's moods and such. I'm using an avatar that I created out of chuck and his persona for this example. What I was wanting to do is to have all the motions in the persona for the particular character that I was working with, and by jimminy I can do that now!

Thanks again for your valuable input Cricky and rampa! Maybe I'll post a step by step procedure in case some other noob is looking to do the same thing and I can save them the hours upon hours of searching for an answer to this as I have. Smile

sparkzhouyuan
sparkzhouyuan
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Congratulation Farkle!I'm looking to do the same thing,if you could do a step by step procedure ,that would help me a lot,thanks!

Reading This Topic