Camera choices for video work

Posted By theschemer 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
theschemer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
This is in reference to Marks post on keying video in iClone or using green screen video. I have almost all the pieces to make this film making a one man show but I do not have a video camera other than a GoPro. I am not yet ready to spend a small fortune on a camera and I am guessing a Sony Video Camera would be the way to go, but I need some help on choosing a camera for this type of work. How many of you have cameras for this and what is the least expensive options that works good, without a bunch of never used bells and whistles?
Thanks,
TS
mark
mark
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I have no idea what your budget is or what you expect "image-wise" but I've really been happy lately with my Panasonic GH3 DSLR.

There are a lot of "reasonably" priced DSLR's out there CANON's, NIKON's and PANASONIC's... and used ones are available now too.....if you could find a used GH2 you might have a pretty cheap option. And these camera's have a wonderful cinematic look to the footage shot with them. BigGrin

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

theschemer
theschemer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

Thanks Mark. So figure around $1000 for a decent camera. How many MP (megapixels) is your camera?
RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
One word of advice...

1. buy a camcorder that can shoot in progressive mode (I believe most of modern camcorders can do this)
2. also, make sure it has a remote controller (same as above... I guess it is almost always included)
3. make sure you have enough lights: there is no way to have a good green-screening if you do not have lights
4. make sure you have a proper chroma keying filter. Latest Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Suite 13 includes the Boris keying filters that works quite well.
5. help us to push Reallusion to improve the very-limited number of video formats that can be imported Wink

Also, the MPixel is an important factor but not the only one: for example the number of sensors per pixel make a great difference...

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

Edited
10 Years Ago by RobertoColombo
mark
mark
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Price may be a bit too high for your budget at about 1,300.00. But that does include a decent lens I think.

Stills with the GH3 are 12 megapixels.

Video is standard HD at 1920x1080. But the size of the files can be very large and much better to work with in post because of their "beefy" nature. Frames rates can be 60p, 30p. and 24p in
MOV, MP4, AVCHD flavors a lot of control for sure and audio is decent with a dedicated manual input and headphone output. Though I still use a "double-system" for sound in most cases.

Now the new GH4 is a 4k system but will be a bit more cost-wise...but not too bad for what I'm seeing Wink

PROMO-BACK2

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

theschemer
theschemer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

RobertoColombo (6/5/2014)
One word of advice...

1. buy a camcorder that can shoot in progressive mode (I believe most of modern camcorders can do this)
2. also, make sure it has a remote controller (same as above... I guess it is almost always included)
3. make sure you have enough lights: there is no way to have a good green-screening if you do not have lights
4. make sure you have a proper chroma keying filter. Latest Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Suite 13 includes the Boris keying filters that works quite well.
5. help us to push Reallusion to improve the very-limited number of video formats that can be imported Wink

Also, the MPixel is an important factor but not the only one: for example the number of sensors per pixel make a great difference...

Roberto,
Thanks for the added info. I have Vegas Pro 13 so I should be good there. I bought the upgrade and it arrived in the mail a few days ago as I got the discount on the upgrade of V12. I just need to install it. Tongue I also have HitFilm Ultimate 1 and 2 and PhotoKey 6 Pro. I definitely would like to see more importable video formats. I noticed that issue the first time I imported a video. w00t
TS
theschemer
theschemer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

mark (6/5/2014)
Price may be a bit too high for your budget at about 1,300.00. But that does include a decent lens I think.

Stills with the GH3 are 12 megapixels.

Video is standard HD at 1920x1080. But the size of the files can be very large and much better to work with in post because of their "beefy" nature. Frames rates can be 60p, 30p. and 24p in
MOV, MP4, AVCHD flavors a lot of control for sure and audio is decent with a dedicated manual input and headphone output. Though I still use a "double-system" for sound in most cases.

Now the new GH4 is a 4k system but will be a bit more cost-wise...but not too bad for what I'm seeing Wink

Thanks Mark,
Well whats $300 more when you are spending $1,000. BigGrin I didn't set a budget yet but don't want to spend more than necessary at first. Then if I am doing good things I can upgrade the camera later. I need to research the GH4 now. Tongue
TS
theschemer
theschemer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I forgot to add, I have a ZOOM H2n Handy recorder that I am learning to use so I have the double sound idea too. Smile
TS
mark
mark
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Well looks like you're well on your way...just remember DSLR's are not good for "run-&-gun" type shooting. They're good for "film-style" stuff where you have time to plan a set-up your shots pick you lens and all. And it's all about getting a "rig" to hold the camera, audio recorder, monitor and shoulder mounts for handheld shots....etc. etc....

PROMO-BACK2

theschemer
theschemer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

mark (6/6/2014)
Well looks like you're well on your way...just remember DSLR's are not good for "run-&-gun" type shooting. They're good for "film-style" stuff where you have time to plan a set-up your shots pick you lens and all. And it's all about getting a "rig" to hold the camera, audio recorder, monitor and shoulder mounts for handheld shots....etc. etc....

Mark,
Not looking for "run-&-gun" type shooting. But being you mentioned it, what camera(s) are good for that type of shooting and will they work for everything? And I bet they are expensive too. I am just needing a good camera for green screen filming. And you mentioned lenses. With a DSLR will I have to spend a bunch more $$ on lenses? I think I was looking at a new one that has a sensor for the camera that eliminates the need for lenses??
Thanks,
TS

p.s. My bad. It was a mirrorless camera and said "no lense" in the description so I think they meant it does not come with any lense.
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-GH3KBODY?cm_sp=lumix-icl-gh3_footer_GH3-12112012
Edited
10 Years Ago by theschemer

Reading This Topic