IC 5 resource hog

Posted By Corvega 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Corvega
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Ive noticed for a while now that when I open my project I can hear my hard drive spinning.
I can just have the project open and I will hear the drive spinning at a fast pace.

As soon as I click on the 'Preferences' tab the drives returns to normal until I close the Preferences. It will again start spinning.

I even have the project as Quick Shader. Now granted the face count is 368,120 but should the drive be spinning at such a high rate with only the project being open?

Under task manager its using 72% of my CPU and 685k of RAM as Im writing this

Anything I can do to improve performance?

https://www.youtube.com/user/wcthrill
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
hard to say, what are your current computer stats ?

Corvega
Corvega
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)

Win7 64bit
HP AMD Phenom 2.8 GHZ
12G RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6670

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

seems you have 2 issues there imo

first your video card is low in power http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

it came in with a 1,044 in performance, you should at least be in the 2500+ area to start...fastest card today being in the 9200 range.

that alone will stress out your computer ...

then you have your amd cpu - amd's are known to be slower than intel in single thread performance, and this is very important to real time rendering. Multi core performance is more important to things like servers - where the amd can be overclocked into a high powered workhorse.... then further I don't know where your particular cpu ranks on this chart as there are a variety of models. My cpu is coming in at a rating of 10,000 and it runs nice with iclone - the highest the phenom is coming in at is 5.9k http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

the cpu does matter to iclone, I would imagine even more so when iclone 6 comes out as it will be using dirx 11 and have lots of new features. My hp 3.2ghz computer was choking with my same gtx 460 card ...when i got the new cpu - i haven't had a need for a new video card, the gtx 460 was running great.

i'm guessing that you are putting your overall system under a lot of stress and it's trying to compensate for it. Thus you are hearing it work harder.

I would suggest that if you want to try and get a little more performance, try using the 64 bit iclone so you can utilize more of your cores on your cpu to maybe ease the stress some.

Amd is also known for being good overclockers, last I heard, they held the world record, so if you aren't ready to buy a new pc, you may consider doing a little research on overclocking your system - you have to make sure you have a good cooling system for that though as you can burn out your system if you push it too hard under the wrong conditions. further it should also be disclaimed that overclocking your system does shorten it's life - basically your motherboard will die first from the constant extra heat that comes with overclocking.

I hope this helps.

Edited
10 Years Ago by planetstardragon
Corvega
Corvega
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for the info. Do you of any sites I where I can find compatible CPU's for my current system?

I was thinking bout getting an SSD which should help in performance

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

the options that are available are limited to what is compatible with your motherboard socket -

2 sites that i like -

if you are in the US - http://www.newegg.com

outside if the US I'd check - http://pcpartpicker.com/

while pc partpicker is not a supply shop - it will do a comparative pricing on any parts you are interested in with your local shops

which btw - don't take 'rebate' offers seriously. most of the time they lure you to buy, then find some reason to not honor the rebate or send you some prepaid card that doesn't work or doesn't have a number you can reach. some are legit - but for the most part most rebates are not honored - from my own - and others experience on the net. combo deals are better as you get the discount on the spot

colour
colour
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
"HP AMD Phenom 2.8 GHZ"

Your PC's performance is restricted to it's lowest performing part which is your CPU, IMO. There's nothing you can do about that.

However, regular PC Housekeeping can improve matters.

Plus

1) Disabling Windows Indexing Service

2) Disabling Automatic Virus/Malware scans. Do them manually.

3) Check your Startup Programs List. Disablng those that aren't necessary for basic functionality.

4) Check Taskmanager for any Processes that are easily identifiable as not needed & end their processes. That being said, your System RAM is sufficient.

Video Editing Programs per se , are usually Developed around Intel CPUs & nVidia GPUS.

Rather than letting Windows decide, you "Could" try giving iClone Priority. But only if you know what you're doing. 

BTW - Preferences Pop-up has always taken a long time to Close with a number of Objects loaded into the Viewport, here.

After a while, you get to know iClone's limitations & Edit within those limitations. Eg; depending upon the complexity of an Edit, I'll Save that Edit immediately.

I have Diskeeper Defragmenting Program that's superior to Windows Defragmenter, which Defragments my HDD when it's idle. I also manually Defragment after/before each iClone Editing session, to ensure that large Projects load. Eg; a current one Scene Project has 1.5 Million Faces. That Will Load with Quick Shader. Then I apply Pixel Shader, IBL & HDR/Tone Map, to Continue Editing.  Deselecting all of those when Closing iClone.

ETC..........

ADDED - All Posting @ same time - Simple minds think alike Wink

..................CPU - You need to check your MOBO'S CPU Socket Type/Number, before you select a new CPU.

SSDs are only good for faster OS & Application load times. They can screw-up the Editing process, though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited
10 Years Ago by colour
Colonel_Klink
Colonel_Klink
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (17.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.2K reputation)

Also try not to run an internet browser at the same time, particularly Chrome or Comodo Dragon IF you have several browser extensions running. These will eat up memory quicker than most applications running side by side.

See all my content in one place
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a5008f7f-0e1f-4504-bcf8-f262.png
Facebook Page: CWK3D Game and Film Content
Cancer Survivor - Retired Teacher - Geriatric Icloner still learning
Hardware: ZX80; Operating System- ZX80 Basic; CPU - ZX80 @ 3.25 MHz; Memory - 1KB; Hard Drive - N/A; Storage - Cassette; Monitor: Any old CRT TV

Corvega
Corvega
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for all the tips. I have stopped several useless services. I think I may have had Firefox open when using IC.

rcsinger29
rcsinger29
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)

Last Active: 11 days ago
I am running the FX black 8 core AMD and 8g ram. I too was having overheating issues using a radeon 6570. I picked up a GeForce 760 and with no other changes, rendered about 15 segments and angles while making all my edits in pixel shader mode without even the slightest bit of fan speed change.

FYI, the higher end video cards require more power and you may have to buy a 500W or higher power supply. Some of them require power connectors in addition to the power the pci-e slot provides.

Reading This Topic