Alternative download sites?

Posted By OldNick 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
OldNick
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I have just had an email about the latest iClone update. IT takes me to CNet. CNet is bad:
- it insists on using a download installer
- you do not have the file if you want to reinstall
- it's as slow as a wet week (about 45k compared to 320k possible for me)because you can't use a download manager of your own to multi-stream
- it wants to install some (UNWANTED!) search bar unless you ask for "advanced" install.
- my Security suite pops up warnings every 5 seconds because as it downloads it tries to fire up all sorts of things.
- This may happens during the install of a downloaded install.exe, but it happens over the space of a couple of minutes, not over the next hour while I wait for the 45k download of 350MB.

--------------------------------------------------------
Nick
Still stumbling about
colour
colour
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
OldNick (8/11/2013)
I have just had an email about the latest iClone update. IT takes me to CNet. CNet is bad:
- it's as slow as a wet week (about 45k compared to 320k possible for me)because you can't use a download manager of your own to multi-stream
- it wants to install some (UNWANTED!) search bar unless you ask for "advanced" install.
- my Security suite pops up warnings every 5 seconds because as it downloads it tries to fire up all sorts of things.
- This may happens during the install of a downloaded install.exe, but it happens over the space of a couple of minutes, not over the next hour while I wait for the 45k download of 350MB.

When you Launch iClone Program, you get a Taskbar RL Downloader Update notification when an Update is available. Select that. RL Downloader is automatically Installed with the Program. No need to use CNet.

If you have iC5 64Bit, the Downloader Notification only appears with 32Bit Version, but will also Update the 64 Bit Version which is in a Bin 64 Sub-Folder in iClone 32Bit x86 Program Folder.

iC5 64 Bit isn't a Native 64Bit, but  functions as if it were. One reason being that some purchased Content might not work in Native 64Bit. 

Or - You can go to your Reallusion Account / Select Product / Bonus & Upgrade & Download Updates from there to your Desktop, Running the SETUP EXE File from there. Then you can Copy the Download SETUP EXE File to any Downloaded Programs Setup Files Folder you might have & Delete the Desktop File, after you've Installed the Update.. .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited
11 Years Ago by colour
OldNick
OldNick
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Thanks for that.

I can't use any of the4 iClone stuff to check/download, as I have it installed on one machine and all my internet, email etc on another. I posted about this a while back, and the fact that it is made difficult by Reallusion.

But your other ideas are great to look at.

I found that softpedia had a "proper" download...mind you _they_ may be the source of all the updater.exe stuff. Sad

The Cnet version is a real PITA. I now have something called updater.exe that keeps triggering my security, even though I aborted installation. Apparently all those warnings while installing had nothing to do with iClone, but were CNet adding "features" even tough I had tried to avoid that.

To the people who run all this. Please stop using CNet. They are being VERY invasive.

--------------------------------------------------------
Nick
Still stumbling about
colour
colour
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
OldNick (8/11/2013)
Thanks for that.

I can't use any of the4 iClone stuff to check/download, as I have it installed on one machine and all my internet, email etc on another. I posted about this a while back, and the fact that it is made difficult by Reallusion.

But your other ideas are great to look at.

I found that softpedia had a "proper" download...mind you _they_ may be the source of all the updater.exe stuff. Sad

The Cnet version is a real PITA. I now have something called updater.exe that keeps triggering my security, even though I aborted installation. Apparently all those warnings while installing had nothing to do with iClone, but were CNet adding "features" even tough I had tried to avoid that.

To the people who run all this. Please stop using CNet. They are being VERY invasive.

Most of the Free Programs & Downloader Programs, will try & "trick" you into Downloading Trial Programs & Installing Browser Add-ons etc,. It's those that "pay" for the Free stuff.

If you've Downloaded from Cnet or Softpedia, you need to go through your ADD/REMOVE Programs List & Remove any unrecognised Programs. You also need to check Windows Start / All Programs. Programs (64Bit) & x86 Programs & Common Files for both, for any left-over Folders after Removing a Program. You also need to Run a Registry Cleaner, to Remove any left-over Registry entries.

Have you tried Downloading to a USB Thumb Drive on your Internet PC & then transferring that to your non-internet PC's HDD?

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
OldNick (8/11/2013)

You should not be being sent to CNet from our emails. All links should bring you back to our website. Please let us know which email you are referring to. Was it the Reality Check email? I would also check that you don't have a virus or some malware that that is redirecting your links.

If you want to get any update for Reallusion products just go into Help > Check For Update. Then on the update page that opens, click the "Download" button to get the latest update.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic