Merging Multiple Props???

Posted By OldNoob 11 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
OldNoob
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I am building a kitchen scene and am using several different props to accomplish this. I would like to merge all of the props into a single prop...can this be done in iClone 5?

As a sloppy work around, I have linked all of the props to a dummy object and that kind of works in the event I need to change something, but if I can merge all of the props into a single prop, would I be able to un-merge them later for any editing needs?

Thanks for any help BigGrin

www.youtube.com/user/MyCloneMovies

Never argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
wires
wires
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
It is possible to make one prop from several.

Select a prop in your scene and click on "Pick Parent" under Attach:

Select a prop that you want to use as your "main" prop either on the screen, or better in the scenr manager. Repeat this for every other prop that you want included and then save the "main" prop.

A word of caution when saving, make sure that the "main" prop is selected in the scene manager before saving - otherwise you will only save a sub-prop.

Sub-props can be detached later if you want.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

OldNoob
OldNoob
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Thanks a bunch, I'll give that a go. It will make things nice and neat.

Thanks again,

www.youtube.com/user/MyCloneMovies

Never argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Edited
11 Years Ago by OldNoob
animagic
animagic
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
You can do a true merge after following the steps above. Select the parent prop and you should see a Merge option. However, this merge cannot be undone, so working with subprops gives more flexibility.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
OldNoob: Smile

I first save my prop unmerged and then merge it and save the merged version. I repeat the process if I have to change something. I change the unmerged one, save it, and then merge it and save it. Saves me alot of frustration when I find a mistake I didn't see before I merged. Whistling

Wink I do all prop building in a project entitled "Prop Development". It has only one frame and only one purpose. As a safe place to build. Nothing ever goes wrong there that I can't instantly fix. I resist the temptation to build a suddenly needed prop in scene. It can lead to wasted time for me.

Cool pete

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee

Edited
11 Years Ago by peterblood
Christy0
Christy0
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
A quick tip. Smile

You can load a merged prop into exchange, and have access to the individual parts, then turn each part into a sub_object and you can work on these individual parts again in iClone.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e9080617-e063-46e7-ad69-a9c8.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f125ca23-2f9f-40dc-b6cd-d1a8.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d5dd533e-e6d4-4ee9-9a17-91da.png

SpiderTec
SpiderTec
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago

I am trying to merge a tree into a dummy prop so I can use a bunch of them together to form an object but I can only "link" them and not "attach" them to get 1 or any of them to merge into an object to save as a prop .  I get re-directed to the tree link section when attempting to attach the dummy prop and it wont allow me to attach so I can merge them at all..  am I missing a step to save a bunch into a prop ? where is the "merge" option for trees? why is there no "attach" option in the plants section? can they not be used as props and I also noticed absolutely no texture options when it comes to plants? what if I wanted to use my own leaves (video or jpeg) or bark? but my main focus is on making them into something like letters out of bushes and save as a prop..  I can always chroma-key the textures with other editing software, please help me try to go green and show me a direction I might be missing thanx

Cricky
Cricky
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Skype ID= learn.iclone

Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)

Trees are not a mesh item.  You can only LINK them, attachment is not possible unless you use dummy objects that they are linked to, and then attach the dummies as an array.  

Have you tried Planting them using the brush Option and then linking?

If you want the Letter Option you mentioned, you have to either Buy Speedtree and create the text with the options in that program, and importing them.  Then you can change the materials as desired.  
You can create actual trees outside Speedtree that have a mesh to be attached, but you may or may not have the Wind options available, dependent on how well you can design soft cloth or spring reactive leaves and limbs.  

You can also create Particle or Billboard trees, but you may be disappointed in their looks.  Lots of work regardless. You do have the alternative to Speedtree purchase to make your own, as it stands today.

Now, that you are fully confused, think about it.  

phantasma8 (3/14/2016)

I am trying to merge a tree into a dummy prop so I can use a bunch of them together to form an object but I can only "link" them and not "attach" them to get 1 or any of them to merge into an object to save as a prop .  I get re-directed to the tree link section when attempting to attach the dummy prop and it wont allow me to attach so I can merge them at all..  am I missing a step to save a bunch into a prop ? where is the "merge" option for trees? why is there no "attach" option in the plants section? can they not be used as props and I also noticed absolutely no texture options when it comes to plants? what if I wanted to use my own leaves (video or jpeg) or bark? but my main focus is on making them into something like letters out of bushes and save as a prop..  I can always chroma-key the textures with other editing software, please help me try to go green and show me a direction I might be missing thanx

SKYPE ID: rc.650

http://city.reallusion.com/store/ModuleExpand.aspx?id=GS634545170497417354&mdid=18866

http://city.reallusion.com/ContentTag.aspx?tagname=Cricky&AuthorID=20081020688550191201#]Reallusion Store Content

" If I had Alzheimer's (Old Timers), would I know it? "

Reading This Topic