Posted By rampart 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
QuestionMark
rampart
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I've been trying to figure out why 3DS Max is associated with iCLone.
The developer section in iCLone discusses and provides some interface tools for iClone and 3dS Max.

It would seem to me from what I've read the Maya makes sense for iClone not 3DS max.

I would be very interested to read about the reasoning for iClone and 3DS max, over Maya.

Article starts here:

The first thing you must take note of is that these two softwares were created for two different sets of graphic artists in mind. 3DS Max was designed for architectural and visualization artists while Maya was created for film and TV animators. Consistent with their target audience, 3DS Max has good modeling tools and it is possible to conceptualize, model and render very large scale environments such as buildings, indoor environments, structures etc. very easily. 3DS Max is also compatible with other Autdesk tools such as AutoCAD so it is possible to seamlessly export models from 3DS Max to AutoCAD to add finer touches.

Maya is a popular tool in entertainment industry and is used to create surreal environments, special effects and characters for movies, TV shows and video games. Maya offers great capabilities in character rigging, animation layering and motion capturing that are not present in 3DS Max. Maya is also the better choice for Nurbs modeling which are complex surfaces that are used to create animation characters and environments. Using this feature, it is possible to create amazing effects in fluid mediums such as liquid and gas environments, so it is relatively easy to create realistic looking underwater animation. In addition, Maya also offers free hand draw and 3D paint effects to have more control over the final render outcome.

The next thing you must consider is the environment in which you wish to operate the software. Maya requires a more powerful computer but is more versatile since it can run on Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems. 3DS Max, on the other hand, requires a less powerful computer but it can run only on a Windows operating system. Finally when you compare price of two softwares, 3DS Max works out to be cheaper than Maya.

So, you need to keep in mind the primary purpose for which you are going to use the software. If you are into architecture or engineering and wish to use the software for conceptualizing and modeling structures, then 3DS Max is the ideal software for you. On the other hand, if you are an animator working for the entertainment industry, then you should go for Maya.

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 18 minutes ago
It's very simple really. Since iClone's original release the Reallusion Developers have used 3DS Max to create the avatars, iProps and other content found in iClone. This is why the plugin and avatar templates are always available in Max format first. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

animagic
animagic
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 20 minutes ago
I wonder when that article was written and who wrote it. 3D Max has been used in game development, for example, since time immemorial. It seems the writer confuses 3DS Max with other Autodesk products that are aimed at Architecture and Engineering, in particular AutoCad.

My first encounter with 3DS Max was over ten years ago and even back then it was very capable to create animations with.

From iClone's and RL's perspective the main purpose of the pipeline is content development and 3DS Max is a very capable modeler.

It takes time and effort to develop and maintain an interface with another 3D program, and since it is provided for free it wouldn't make economic sense to also develop interfaces to a host of other 3D programs, how useful in itself that may be. But, the good news is that every iteration of 3DXchange brings us closer to a more capable bridge between iClone and external programs.

I'm trying to remember what program I used before 3DXchange 2 (the first release)... I still have it actually: Effect3D Studio... 3DXChange was a quantum leap compared to that!

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

fablefox
fablefox
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (549 reputation)Veteran Member (549 reputation)Veteran Member (549 reputation)Veteran Member (549 reputation)Veteran Member (549 reputation)Veteran Member (549 reputation)Veteran Member (549 reputation)Veteran Member (549 reputation)Veteran Member (549 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
No matter who wrote the articles, it was that ever since Maya 1 came out, and even more obvious ever since AD bought Maya.

I think the reason why the plug-ins is for MAX is simple, back then Maya grab the film market, while MAX grab the gaming market. And as we all know, machinima came from gaming. MAX is good for low poly, Maya is good for high poly. MAX polygon modelling is awesome, Maya spline modelling is awesome. That was the main reason Maya grab the film market - it has to be high poly. Long long time ago, even game engines only have plug-ins for MAX.

To cut things short, that was long long time ago. Why Reallusion only have plug-ins for MAX in this day is mind boggling (here we go again, me complaining Reallusion business sense).

But these days, RL seriously need to move to Maya. Ever since AD bought Maya, MAX is slowly moving to arch-vis. People can make movies with it, sure, but with openess of maya, and the tools available for it, even AD knows it. There is a reason AD came up with MAX Design version.

http://www.fablefoxisstronger.com
rampart
rampart
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

My friend, an architect doesn't use 3dS max with Autocad for rendering.  He uses Google sketchup, much cheaper and gets the job done fast and adequate for his clients.

Edited
12 Years Ago by rampart
animagic
animagic
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

... not worth it ...

Edited
12 Years Ago by animagic
rampart
rampart
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Here is the article I quoted from above.

http://voices.yahoo.com/3ds-max-vs-maya-3d-animation-rendering-software-comparison-3871516.html?cat=15

I wasn't trying to make any kind of statement of value about either software.  I have been  looking into future software purchases, and this one purchase is very big regardless of the program chosen.

My interest is in video production only and iClone does that very well.  I wouldn't want to spend that much money on somthing that doesn't have adequate flexibility, import and export ability to work with other software that may become a factor in the future.

Yes, and I'm not forgetting how long it will take to learn the programs either.  LOL

In other words, a purchase of either is a big decision.

Edited
12 Years Ago by rampart
animagic
animagic
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Very well put, sw00000p. I'm glad you chimed in... I was getting upset...

Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
animagic (1/10/2012)
Very well put, sw00000p. I'm glad you chimed in... I was getting upset...

;={> Exclamation Mark

General Picture - animating now to life itself(tm)
Member of Content Wizards

Reading This Topic