Profile Picture

Does anyone know how to insert text into Iclone?

Posted By aaarodriguez2011 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
aaarodriguez2011
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Id like these really cool 3-d '3000' numbers to be smashed apart actually.
First Id like to know how to insert #'s into Iclone

Next, does anyone know a free way to make the numbers breakable.
I want a guy with a sledgehammer I created to swing and bust the numbers.

Any/all input is greatly appreciated.

Smile
Peter.n
Peter.n
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
there are more possibilities
first you can make text in google scetchup and import via 3dxchange
or you do it like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QHhXEZffU8

Peter

rrrodriguez2011
rrrodriguez2011
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (480 reputation)Senior Member (480 reputation)Senior Member (480 reputation)Senior Member (480 reputation)Senior Member (480 reputation)Senior Member (480 reputation)Senior Member (480 reputation)Senior Member (480 reputation)Senior Member (480 reputation)

Nice try peter, but thta doesnt really help me much since I dont have photoshop.

I could import the #'s from Google Sketchup no problem, but my concern comes when having to break apart the object.

Anyone have any good ideas of how to break apart the "3-d number 3000"?

Thanks
Emerald Animation...
Emerald Animation...
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I can show you, I've done it myself.

In Sketchup, use the 3-D text tool to enter your text, but uncheck the "extrude" option -- don't make it 3-D, just put the text in flat. You will extrude it in a moment. Right click on your new text and explode it.

Next, draw some lines through your text so it gets broken up into the fragments you want.

Next, double-click on the face of a fragment -- if you do it correctly, it will select the face and the surrounding edges. Right click on this selection and make it a group (not a component).

Then edit the group and extrude the face to your desired thickness. Repeat this process for each fragment. Save your work.

Now when you import into 3DXChange, you will see each fragment as a separate line item. Exclude the SKP back faces, then click on each front face and select "make sub-prop." When you've done this, export the whole thing to IClone.

If you are in IClone 5, you can now select each part of the new prop and assign it the proper physics properties, and voila!

Hope this helps -- feel free to ping me if anything was unclear.
rrrodriguez2011
rrrodriguez2011
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (480 reputation)Senior Member (480 reputation)Senior Member (480 reputation)Senior Member (480 reputation)Senior Member (480 reputation)Senior Member (480 reputation)Senior Member (480 reputation)Senior Member (480 reputation)Senior Member (480 reputation)

Thank you so much for that...Im going to try it.
After an exhaustive search with no results, I decided to do it another way.
Which might end up being better than breaking the text.

go figure that huh.

But I think its still going to be very useful to learn how to do that, so thank you very much for taking the time to help out.

Truly appreciate this
MrStockboto
MrStockboto
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
rrrodriguez2011 (11/22/2011)
Nice try peter, but thta doesnt really help me much since I dont have photoshop.

Just speaking for my own situation, I haven't found it necessary to invest in Photoshop for iClone. I tried using GIMP for a while, which is basically a freeware version of Photoshop with a more UNIX'esq interface. But the learning curve wasn't worth it for me. Thankfully I came across Paint.Net. It's not nearly a robust as Photoshop or GIMP but it does everything I've needed it to do.

If it'll help here's a link to the website: http://www.getpaint.net/features.html

Support your fellow enthusiasts by visiting:

Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Emerald Animation (formerly reelcheapfilms) (11/22/2011)
I can show you, I've done it myself.

In Sketchup, use the 3-D text tool to enter your text, but uncheck the "extrude" option -- don't make it 3-D, just put the text in flat. You will extrude it in a moment. Right click on your new text and explode it.

Next, draw some lines through your text so it gets broken up into the fragments you want.

Next, double-click on the face of a fragment -- if you do it correctly, it will select the face and the surrounding edges. Right click on this selection and make it a group (not a component).

Then edit the group and extrude the face to your desired thickness. Repeat this process for each fragment. Save your work.

Now when you import into 3DXChange, you will see each fragment as a separate line item. Exclude the SKP back faces, then click on each front face and select "make sub-prop." When you've done this, export the whole thing to IClone.

If you are in IClone 5, you can now select each part of the new prop and assign it the proper physics properties, and voila!

Hope this helps -- feel free to ping me if anything was unclear.

This is an 8 year old thread, so the odds of you still being alive is about 89%, but if yes I need a similar feature and I just happen to have activated my 30 day trial of Sketch Up a few days ago (it is no longer free), so this seems like serendipity. 

My question is, when you said right click the text and select Explode, does Explode mean the same thing as in demolitions, or is that some graphics term?  If Sketch Up has this built in that could help me justify $25 per month; I just hate subscriptions because if I am too busy or just don't feel like working on something it just wastes money.

And to the other person who recommended Paint.Net, I have used it for 10+ years and it is awesome. I have even made a video about it I like it so much.

Creator of the free website:
PixelDatabase.Net
A Free Online Text Based Image Editor
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e6663e2-0ecf-447a-ab3d-d49d.png

Edited
5 Years Ago by Data Juggler
wires
wires
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
When you create text in SketchUp it is considered to be a single object. "Exploding" the item in SketchUp will create a series of individual items - in this case letters - that can now be edited on their own.

The term has nothing to do with Gunpowder, Explosions etc.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

vidi
vidi
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I think it is a mistake in term ,  and should mean extrude and not explode. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Actually I had the trial of Sketch Up on my machine until yesterday, and there was an Explode menu option.

I clicked it and didn't blow up, so it doesn't do what I thought it meant.

Sketch Up seems 2D to me, even though you can view things from different angles it doesn't look as realistic as IClone to me.

There was also an extrude option, but I didn't know how to do anything and still have lots of IClone features to learn. Baby steps.

Thanks for the reply though.

Creator of the free website:
PixelDatabase.Net
A Free Online Text Based Image Editor
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e6663e2-0ecf-447a-ab3d-d49d.png

Reading This Topic