Profile Picture

I need help to understand the iClone TTS voice license

Posted By JimmyK 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
JimmyK
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 14 Years Ago
Hi,

I'd like to use iClone to produce movies to go on YouTube etc. And I'd like to use the voices that are bundled with iClone such as Serena.

Can you please tell me where to find the license agreement?

I can see on the Voices Add-on page that there is a "Special License" but I can't actually see it.

Am I allowed to use the voices in YouTube videos? Can I sell videos using the voices?

Thanks
animagic
animagic
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
The TTS voices you see in iClone are those that are installed on your PC independent of your iClone installation. For example, I don't have a Serena voice, but I see it is a RealSpeak voice. The use of TTS voices is governed by a license outside of iClone and depends on the specific vendor.

The special license link on the iClone page is for Cepstral voices, and, I admit, is extremely confusing. Now, since they are sold through RL for animation purposes I would think that you should be allowed to show films that use them on YouTube.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

JimmyK
JimmyK
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)

Thanks zuijlen for clarifying the situation.

I remember now I think I got those voices with Oddcast or a similar app I installed before finding iClone.

The "Special license applies." on this page has me stumped. I can't find a link to it at all.

Anyone know where this license can be viewed before purchasing? Support?

Thanks

Edited
14 Years Ago by JimmyK
animagic
animagic
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

I went to the Cepstral website directly, but that wasn't much help either. A clarification from RL would be most welcome... Ermm

Jedar
Jedar
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (282 reputation)Senior Member (282 reputation)Senior Member (282 reputation)Senior Member (282 reputation)Senior Member (282 reputation)Senior Member (282 reputation)Senior Member (282 reputation)Senior Member (282 reputation)Senior Member (282 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Why there aren't Italian voices? Smile
animagic
animagic
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Cepstral (and others) have Italian voices so you can buy them directly.  If you are registered with Reallusion as Premium Member, you can get 20% off any Cepstral purchase. I'm not sure, it may only apply if you have CrazyTalk; you will have to check by logging in.

JimmyK
JimmyK
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

I have contacted support and will loet you know what they say.

BTW I installed the xtranormal State application - I think that is the source of the voices on my computer.
JimmyK
JimmyK
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Well they got back to me but there was a misunderstanding.

Thank you for contacting Reallusion.

You can find this special offers at http://www.reallusion.com/creative/creative_cepstral.aspx#special. And if you want to hear its demo, you can visit Cepstral site: http://www.cepstral.com/demos/.

I've replied and pointed out that I was asking about the 'Special license applies' and not the 'Special Offer'.

We'll see what happens.
abelmj_201005161926193
abelmj_201005161926193
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)

Did you ever get clarifiycation on the licensing of TTS for use in iClonde movies. I am similarly confused. When I ask NaturalSoft and Cepstral, they tell me that I may NOT use their voices to create derivative works without obtaining a license from them to do so. They say this because of restrictions placed on using the voices by AT&T.  I do not know if Reallusion has obtained this license on the behalf of iClone users to allow them to create derivative works and Cepstral has not been at all helpful in providing that information - their responce seems to be to leave it to Reallusion to answer.

So, can someone with Reallusion please clearly articulate to us, are we allowed to use the TTS feature and voices that come with iClone or CrazyTalk to create derivative works without acquiring any additional licensing from Cepstral, AT&T, etc?  I have a feeling that what Reallusion may be saying is "You can use whatever voices you are licensed to use because Reallusion does not provide those voices - they simply make use of the TTS engines installed on your machine. Since Reallusion has not been clear on this, the statements they do make can make one believe Reallusion is providing all necessary TTS technology and licensing to make derivitive works, but you note they do not every say that.  It's it bit deceptive I think. I really wish they would just make it perfectly clear one way or the other so that no one runs the risk of being sued by AT&T or Cepstral for using voices in a movie.

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
abelmj_201005161926193 (5/16/2010)
Did you ever get clarifiycation on the licensing of TTS for use in iClonde movies. I am similarly confused. When I ask NaturalSoft and Cepstral, they tell me that I may NOT use their voices to create derivative works without obtaining a license from them to do so. They say this because of restrictions placed on using the voices by AT&T.  I do not know if Reallusion has obtained this license on the behalf of iClone users to allow them to create derivative works and Cepstral has not been at all helpful in providing that information - their responce seems to be to leave it to Reallusion to answer.

So, can someone with Reallusion please clearly articulate to us, are we allowed to use the TTS feature and voices that come with iClone or CrazyTalk to create derivative works without acquiring any additional licensing from Cepstral, AT&T, etc?  I have a feeling that what Reallusion may be saying is "You can use whatever voices you are licensed to use because Reallusion does not provide those voices - they simply make use of the TTS engines installed on your machine. Since Reallusion has not been clear on this, the statements they do make can make one believe Reallusion is providing all necessary TTS technology and licensing to make derivitive works, but you note they do not every say that.  It's it bit deceptive I think. I really wish they would just make it perfectly clear one way or the other so that no one runs the risk of being sued by AT&T or Cepstral for using voices in a movie.

Hi,

Reallusion doesn't supply the voices themselves so the license agreement is with the company you purchased the voices from. You would need to abide by the terms of the license agreement if you plan on using the voices in a commercial enviroment.

With all purchased text to speech voices you should have a EULA which which will explain the terms of that agreement. Sadly if you unsure of what you can and can't do legally with the voices, you will need to seek clarification from them. This isn't something Reallusion has any control over sadly. 

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic