how to export head in iclone

Posted By musicaz 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
musicaz
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
how or where do i export head in iclone 5 so i can use it in zbrush please ?
animagic
animagic
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
You have to this via 3DXchange. Unfortunately, 3DXchange is not compatible with the new G5 characters, so until 3DX v5 comes out, you will not be able to change the heads of those characters.

To change G4 heads, you would do the following:

1. Load the full character in 3DXchange.
  2. In the tree on the left, select Face.
  3. On the right, click Export Mesh.
  4. You will be prompted to save the head as an OBJ file.
  5. Make your changes in Z-brush (I don't have Z-brush, but the procedure would be the same).
  6. When making changes, make sure not to add any polygons. Also, make sure not to deform the neck area where it attaches to the body. Finally, do not reposition the head, as it will no longer fit properly.
  7. Save the changed mesh back as OBJ file. Make sure that the export does not reposition or resize the head.
  8. In 3DXchange, reimport the mesh by clicking Replace Mesh and then selecting the modified OBJ file.
  9. The head will be replaced.
  10. Save the character with modified head back to iClone.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

sharad.inc
sharad.inc
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
[b].
  • When making changes, make sure not to add any polygons. Also, make sure not to deform the neck area where it attaches to the body. Finally, do not reposition the head, as it will no longer fit properly.
  • Save the changed mesh back as OBJ file. Make sure that the export does not reposition or resize the head.

• Dear Animagic and other experts,
    Can you please confirm that it is not possible to add any polygons to an iClone standard face exported from 3dX into Zbrush? I was under the impression that as long as the neck vertices are unchanged in number/shape(12) - then one could change the face mesh in Zbrush (or any other modelling tool).
    We are only changing the skin/mesh and not the rig/bone of the face - so it should be okay - right? Please clarify!

My confusion stems from this other old post which says hI-resolution heads are possible in iClone. https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic61068-14-3.aspx

Regards
    Sharad
    Edited
    13 Years Ago by sharad.inc
    animagic
    animagic
    Posted 13 Years Ago
    View Quick Profile
    Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Sharad, that's right, you should not add (or remove) any vertices in order for this procedure to work.

Also, something that came up in recent discussions is that 3DXchange 4 will not allow importing any characters from iClone 5, so for now you will need to use IC4, or wait until 3DX 5 comes out. 

Note that iClone 5 will be able to accept the heads modifed through the 3DXchange 4/iClone 4 pipeline. Simply copy them to your custom Face folder (...Reallusion\Custom\iClone 5 Custom\Face).

sharad.inc
    sharad.inc
    Posted 13 Years Ago
    View Quick Profile
    Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Thanks for the reply. And honestly, I dont mean to bug you, but I wish to just double confirm and hence this post.

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic61068-14-3.aspx
    In this post it says - instead of exporting just the head, if one were to export the entire avatar into 3ds Max (or use the 3ds max plugin) and then make a higher resolution mesh for the head and import it back into iClone, it would work. May be I have misunderstood the above post - but then BigBoss has apparently got some characters that have a higher resolution/mesh head in the content store.

Would Peter or someone from RL please confirm the possibilities and close this issue once for all? (until the new 3dx5 is released) Wink

Regards
    Sharad
    sharad.inc
    sharad.inc
    Posted 13 Years Ago
    View Quick Profile
    Distinguished Member

Thanks sw00000p.
    I dont know 3ds Max, but a friend does, and he had offered to help, but after reading your post, I guess I should, for the moment, just be content with the fact that it is possible, and that there are geniuses in the iClone community who know what has to be done and have done it.

I am working on the toon shading feature in the new iClone, and wanted to create anime like characters and was hoping to add some polygons to the head before taking it to Zbrush (to make round eyes like the eyes of Studio Ghibli characters and also the line/2d mouth).

Thanks again for confirming!

Regards
    Sharad
    Sen
    Sen
    Posted 13 Years Ago
    View Quick Profile
    Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
    Hi ,

there is no problem with UV in Zbrush . Just flip V . If you use 3dsmax via Goz , no problem .

CGTRADER

Edited
    13 Years Ago by Sen
    animagic
    animagic
    Posted 13 Years Ago
    View Quick Profile
    Distinguished Member

@sharad: No worries about bugging, clarity is important! If you have 3DMax (which I don't) more is possible, because of the 3DMax plugin, which gives you a different pipeline. People have been able to create higher-poly meshes that work in iClone.

What I described is the "poor-men's route" using 3DXchange 4. Replace Mesh will not accept meshes when the polygon count has changed. That said, there is still a lot you can do and I look forward applying it the G5 heads.

sjonesdc
    sjonesdc
    Posted 13 Years Ago
    View Quick Profile
    Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
    animagic (10/6/2011)
    You have to this via 3DXchange. Unfortunately, 3DXchange is not compatible with the new G5 characters, so until 3DX v5 comes out, you will not be able to change the heads of those characters.

To change G4 heads, you would do the following:
    1. Load the full character in 3DXchange.
    2. In the tree on the left, select Face.
    3. On the right, click Export Mesh.
    4. You will be prompted to save the head as an OBJ file.
    5. Make your changes in Z-brush (I don't have Z-brush, but the procedure would be the same).
    6. When making changes, make sure not to add any polygons. Also, make sure not to deform the neck area where it attaches to the body. Finally, do not reposition the head, as it will no longer fit properly.
    7. Save the changed mesh back as OBJ file. Make sure that the export does not reposition or resize the head.
    8. In 3DXchange, reimport the mesh by clicking Replace Mesh and then selecting themodified OBJ file.
    9. The head will be replaced.
    10. Save the character with modified head back to iClone.

animagic,

Will this work using Sculptris???

sjonesdc Hehe

STILL LEARNING!!!

animagic
    animagic
    Posted 13 Years Ago
    View Quick Profile
    Distinguished Member

Sharon, it should, but I've had trouble making it work with the latest versions. Whenever I sculpt, it subdivides as well, adding polygons to the mesh, which is what you don't want.

EDIT: OK, it's been a while...Blush There is a Detail slider, which should be moved all the way to the left, in which case you can sculpt without adding polygons... After that I was able to do a Replace Mesh without problems (using alpha 6).

When importing, I have "Facing camera" checked and "Don't resize" unchecked. That last setting doesn't make sense to me, but it works...

Edited
    13 Years Ago by animagic

Reading This Topic