Profile Picture

GPU rendering on Indigo 4.x beta. Anyone got it to work?

Posted By pmaina 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

GPU rendering on Indigo 4.x beta. Anyone got it to work?

Author
pmaina
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Was testing indigo 4.0.31 beta and can't seem to get GPU rendering to work even on the simplest single object ic6 scene with no background.

Am I missing anything?

CPU rendering is working but since I don't have 200+ core blade  servers at my disposal am not seeing any difference in performance.

Please post your test results & render times here...
Edited
8 Years Ago by pmaina
gcowan7
gcowan7
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I got it to work last night .it was strange though . I tried several older projects and the application hung for 3 minutes ( build core kernel ) I also had problems with iclone directional lights or key light . But after a bunch of tries i loaded simple animation and 1 character and it it started going fast. I did a still and was happy with 14 sec so i ran an image sequence . i was hoping the update solved another problem i was having with the image sequence syncing to hitfilm . It didn`t i found a post in hitfilm forum something about 0000 0001 0002 iclones built in render for image sequence works but through indigo 0 1 2 doesnt act so nice with large files .010 020 start messing up the order .When i renamed files it puts a hyphen which gave me the same result .

I have a 6 gig nvidia  and my cpu and dgpu were running at 90%. Like i said though simple scene 14 sec . Before the update i  was going for 70 sec per image and would have rather let it go 120 sec. i was set at 1080p leaving iclone . 

I am a total noob so maybe that is over kill . I had really given up on the plugin because of the sequence problem . and the long wait to load large scene . Then i read about animating character in alpha and and put it together in video editor > Just not working out so good .

sorry i will post some results and speeds when i get a chance if your interested . I did do the fancy red car mclaren forgot the time so im running it again. Once  again the camera setting distance seems to hang on my computer auto focus .  Its been like 3 minutes and nothing is happening . The same thing happened last night. After i ran the program a little while it was fine i had to select my cpu and gpu manually. It remembers the settings > i closed it and reoppened it and flying along again .The time is in the pichttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/54e0a129-4a6d-41d6-8c8b-079b.png

gcowan7
gcowan7
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)

Sorry cant see the times in the pic 

2m 22secs 869.06 s/px 4.597 M s/sec hope that helps. 
gcowan7
gcowan7
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

this is the only thing i got gpu to work on the test with watermark sorry 
Attachments
McLaren_P1_Benchmark_Optimised2.png (320 views, 741.00 KB)
Edited
8 Years Ago by gcowan7
gcowan7
gcowan7
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

seems i can`t get alpha foreground to work with gpu acceleration . . Iclone light only give a black screen with gpu acceleration. .Indigo  sun and sky i must have selected disable gpu in indigo  because its the only way i could get it to work today .

Dont know if it was a placebo effect but i dont recall the quality being this fast on cpu only with indigo .

this is the reason i barely post on forums hehe 

sorry to steal your thread.

Dam i did get my image sequence to play in vegas so i assume it is a problem with hitfilm . 
pmaina
pmaina
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Thanks for your comments gcowan7... I also got stuck there - blank screen with GPU for an ic6 scene. It renders with CPU but completely refuses to use the GPU for iClone scenes.
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 minutes ago
I guess a ran into that as well. The benchmark scenes worked with GPU acceleration, but I was unable to render an iClone scene with GPU acceleration that rendered before with Indigo 3. I didn't try the same scene with CPU only yet.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

pmaina
pmaina
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Quick Benchmarks:
Below: OpenCL GPU render of indigo supplied optimized template Mclaren (not from iClone) with NVIDIA GTX750ti (not overclocked). Ran for 12m 50seconds.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/76d0e2fe-142f-4c1b-9758-e829.png

Pure CPU render of the same template with an old intel Quad core 2.5Ghz. Ran for 13m 57seconds.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8f420671-e3ce-4ba1-8370-dea6.png

1. I would like to render this same temple using CUDA on the same machine to see if there is meaningful difference. Indigo vendor blurb claims the renderer supports CUDA (is it true?), any ideas how to enable this?
2. For animation it means 5 days non stop GPU rendering for 30 seconds of a fairly acceptable clip. Not bad at all - as in its doable if needed. I wonder if CUDA can give better rresults.
3. Can RL advise if they intend to support indigo 4.x and whether they can release an update plugin soon? I need to know if i am wasting time. BigGrin
4. Would love to hear RL's views regarding the tech strategy incompatibility.. for example RL's use of Physx in ic6 means we have to us e NVIDIA cards for best results (otherwise it runs off CPU for AMD). NVIDIA support for OpenCL is half hearted at best (understandable as it offers them no unique advantage) and indigo vendor is betting heavily on OpenCL. This incompatibility is important because it will lead to many problems for users down the road.

Thanks all & good day.
pmaina
pmaina
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Indogo RT will not render the Mclaren scene (it switches to trial mode, tries to render then crashes) so there is no objective comparison of CPU rendering performance improvements. I could use a basic iclone cene for CPU render on both RT & 4.0 but the argument against results, if they dissappoint, would be that maybe 4.0 isn't fully compatible with or optimized for iclone scenes. So I'll leave that for now.
Edited
8 Years Ago by pmaina
gcowan7
gcowan7
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

So i guess the real question should be is reallusion going to patch our plugin so it is compatible with 4 and when ? 

Reading This Topic