How do I set a desired specular value from Maya to 3DX

Posted By Dragonskunk 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Dragonskunk
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I decided to see what material values translate to iClone values. The only value I cannot control is the specular values seems to stay at 100 no matter what.
Any suggestions?

Thinking of getting Hexagon to model for iClone, not just because of that, but maybe the specular materials might be adjustable in Hexagon? 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f0d5a6aa-f907-4e06-b7ab-3cc3.jpg
Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

In other words leave the specular at 100 and use the specular color instead for control.

Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yes! It was useful.
Thanks for that.
Sorry, I was thinking about how to use it for myself.
I just want the solid colors for my toon characters to look the same from Maya to 3DX. Before, every time I would bring in a new character or adjust an existing one all materials look OK till it arrived in 3DX and all textures look like they were dipped in varnish and I would need to change all the specular values. So changing the specular color achieves the same result for me.    

prabhatM
prabhatM
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Dragonskunk (6/28/2015)

I just want the solid colors for my toon characters to look the same from Maya to 3DX. Before, every time I would bring in a new character or adjust an existing one all materials look OK till it arrived in 3DX and all textures look like they were dipped in varnish and I would need to change all the specular values. So changing the specular color achieves the same result for me.    

I have personal interest in Toon Shaders and I use solid colours for all my characters.
While experimenting with DAZ-ICLONE I had faced the same problem. The Specular value would always be at 100 and I had to set it to 0 manually for the materials. I had also notified RL regarding this.
While importing the models, RL should set the specular value to 0 by default. If somebody wants a glossy material, he could increase the specular value.
I guess RL never bothered about this issue even after getting the report. So you have to do it manually every time you import a character till the time somebody at RL takes note of it.

I had also noticed the saturation level of the solid colours were a little low in ICLONE.

ALTERNATIVE : Select "ALL COLOUR OPTION / AFFECT ALL MATERIALS OPTION" ( not sure at this moment) and change the specular value. If you are using it for skin, then EYES too will get affected with the skin colours. You have to change the colour of the eyes. This reduces the steps a little, but this is no less irritating.

Edited
9 Years Ago by prabhatM

Reading This Topic