Whats new in CC3 for average hobby users?

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic381093.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By swordflasher - 6 Years Ago
Hi, I'm really enjoying Character Creator 2. I am considering pre-ordering the new Character Creator 3 before the end of the month to take advantage of a discount . However I am a hobby user, not a professional, so I don't see anything in the advertising that I understand the need for or that tempts me to upgrade. Is there anything in the new version in terms of new functions or content that would be useful to an average user like me that will improve my ability to make new and unusual characters, such as new content - head and body morphs, sliders, cc cloth bases, substances etc., or is CC 3 more geared towards game designers moving files and characters between programs or who want improved game character functionality?  Thanks in advance for any advice.
By Kelleytoons - 6 Years Ago
Do you have or do you ever intend to buy Daz content?  (Many reasons to do so -- it's cheaper than RL's stuff in general (particularly if you become a Platinum Club member), it's usually far more inclusive of styles and types -- you can find any historical period you want and almost any type of character you'd like).  Then you want the paid version of CC3, without a doubt.  Even if all you want to do is take the very many free files out there that can be used for clothing the paid version will pay for itself.

It will also allow you to generate low poly figures for use in crowds, backgrounds, etc. -- almost indispensable unless the only animation you are going to do will only involve one or two characters at most.

My personal advice would be to pre-order -- RL gives you 14 days to try their software and you can return for a full refund during that period.  You may well find you can't live without it (or you return it with no harm, no foul).
By akuei2 - 6 Years Ago
As a IClone user, CC3 pipeline are charming us import outside content(especially DAZ outfit & morph)to RL CC3 characters.
IMHO, DAZ Genesis 8 character  not performance as well as RL CC3 characters in IClone environment.
This means , "DAZ outfit + RL CC3 characters" are better than " DAZ outfit + DAZ Genesis 8  character " working in IClone environment.

Daz characters are not imported directly into CC3 but converted to CC3 avatars (remapped).  So it's still a CC3 character (which is improved over the CC2 avatars).
Thanks for your helpful reply, Mike. Do I also need to get 3DXchange pipeline to take advantage of these features? Thanks.
By propose - 6 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (9/19/2018)
Daz characters are not imported directly into CC3 but converted to CC3 avatars (remapped).  So it's still a CC3 character (which is improved over the CC2 avatars).

Would a round trip be possible?  ie:  DAZ to CC3 and back to DAZ?
Or would I export DAZ to 3dx pipeline and back to DAZ.  I'm mostly concerned with animation in iClone and exporting the anim as bvh to use in DAZ, or Carrara for that matter.
swordflasher (9/19/2018)
Thanks for your helpful reply, Mike. Do I also need to get 3DXchange pipeline to take advantage of these features? Thanks.

Not if you buy the standalone version of CC3.
propose (9/19/2018)
Kelleytoons (9/19/2018)

Would a round trip be possible?  ie:  DAZ to CC3 and back to DAZ?
Or would I export DAZ to 3dx pipeline and back to DAZ.  I'm mostly concerned with animation in iClone and exporting the anim as bvh to use in DAZ, or Carrara for that matter.

The standalone version will allow you to export an FBX file, which you can use in whatever software you want.  Be aware though that not all software handles FBX properly (or the same).  Bringing it back in to Daz wouldn't be something *I'd* want to do (for that I'd question why in heck are you leaving Daz in the first place?)  In any case, you cannot export animation from CC3.  You *can* do that from iClone, but then you *will* need XChange as I understand it.

I've now pre-ordered/ bought Character Creator 3 pipeline on your advice - I'm guessing that's the standalone version? Thanks for your help Mike.
By propose - 6 Years Ago
I use DAZ to get content into Carrara.  I use iClone to animate DAZ figures, and that animation is transferred over to Carrara.  I mainly use Carrara with Octane Render.  FBX out of 3DX is not fun in Carrara, but bvh works well via Daz.  I like iClone motions.  If I like what I see from CC3 using Genesis 1,2,3,8 than it will be a useful tool, just wondering what the export capabilities are in CC3.  will I be able to export bvh as in 3DX.  That would really simplify things.
CC3 cannot export animation.

Remember that only the standalone version of CC3 will be able to import Daz stuff.  The free one cannot.
By justaviking - 6 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (9/21/2018)
CC3 cannot export animation.

I'm going to have to go back and review some of the original announcements (in my "spare time" - yeah, right).  I thought it was either directly stated or strongly implied that you'd be able to make "short animations" to showcase your CC3 creations.  I and a couple other pople sort of scratched our heads over how that would be accomplished.  Or maybe I'm dreaming or suffering from "false memories."
By sonic7 - 6 Years Ago

Yeah - Mike's correct. Here's Peter's axact words:

" You will be able to transfer characters freely between iClone 7.3 and Character Creator 3. If you are using Character Creator 3 Pipeline then you will be able to export characters directly without requiring any other software. However CC3 Pipeline only exports the character itself it doesn't export animations. So if you wish to export the animations, then you will need to use iClone 7 and 3DXchange 7 Pipeline for this purpose.

Note: If you use Character Creator 3 For iClone (the FREE version), then you will need 3DXchange 7 Pipeline to be able to export your characters. "

Source: 
https://forum.reallusion.com/375015/Character-Creator-3-WorkInProgress-2-PreOrder-Now?PageIndex=34
Yes, I was going strictly by Peter's words.