Windows 10 update nightmare

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic348049.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By esemgee - 7 Years Ago
Now not sure of the sequence of events but updated iClone7 to 7.1 then Windows practically forced its upgrade. All Reallusion products are on drive D as C is a 250GB SSD. Since both upgrades happened pretty much at the same time I am uncertain if there were problems before OS change. Now I have no link from Content Manager to anything - just an .ink. My previous desktop shortcuts say that x -which related to iClone 6 - can't be found, it should be in C:, it also asked if the program was mine! (I moved said file from D to C and it now works but this is NOT what I want!).
Unless there is a simple way round this, do I need to reinstall everything? From 6 on or is iClone 7 now reasonably independent?
Usual annoying, frustrating, time wasting chaos after a Microsoft upgrade!
Thanks in advance for any advice - tips - solutions...
By wires - 7 Years Ago
All iClone versions are independent of each other, with the exception of some files stored in the "Shared Templates" folder. If you have iClone 6 working OK then try and uninstall iClone 7 - while connected to the internet - and then do a reinstall. The reinstall should read the path to the existing Shared Templates folder and everything should work.
By esemgee - 7 Years Ago
Thanks. It seems I don't have iClone 6 working either. See image. The 'custom' folder asked for is in drive D, move it to C and it will work - but I don't want any files in C, only have 100GB left there!! Somehow the path has been rewritten. I noticed that the downloader is now pointing to C but can't reinstall it as version I have is older and can't find where the newer version is to delete it! 
By esemgee - 7 Years Ago
I could find no logical way of re-setting the path so uninstalled and then reinstalled iClone7 then the 7.1 update. Everything now seems to be linked correctly. Fingers crossed! It would be nice to know if there is a quick way to reset the path as I can see this being a regular event with Windows update!!! 
By animagic - 7 Years Ago
garry.smout (11/19/2017)
I could find no logical way of re-setting the path so uninstalled and then reinstalled iClone7 then the 7.1 update. Everything now seems to be linked correctly. Fingers crossed! It would be nice to know if there is a quick way to reset the path as I can see this being a regular event with Windows update!!! 

Your approach is surely the safest.

There is an alternative method that involves editing the registry as discussed here: https://forum.reallusion.com/220315/Relocate-document-and-contents-for-Iclone. It's a hassle though, as it involves making quite some changes.

That a Windows update would cause those changes is a scary thought...Crazy
By esemgee - 7 Years Ago
The Windows upgrade also messed with other shortcuts to other programs and doubled up the shortcuts, some with icons but others without. It really didn't like the apps being on D: 
By gcshep - 7 Years Ago
Hi Garry I have had the same problem and my programs are all on my C drive so I not sure that is the your problem i.e. different drive because I had the same issue also with iClone 7 and Allegorithmic - Painter and then to add insult to injury I had a blue screen crash after installing Curve Editor had the following error Stop Code: DPC _Watchdog_Violation which completely corrupted my whole system and had to do a complete re-install and all this after a Microsoft Windows Update.I did try cleaning but it didn't cure the problems and advise the best thing to do is complete re-instal hence this reply is from my mobile.

By esemgee - 7 Years Ago
Well, sorry to hear about your misfortunes but also oddly glad as it means I am not going mad!!! Something usually goes amiss after a Windows update but this is the first time it has changed paths and meant a re-install of software. Have yet to check Character Creator or Crazy Talk fully - they open but have not tried to access anything/item to add to main avatar - so I might still have fun and games ahead of me. The irony is the new update is meant to make linking PC to iPhone dead easy, or something, yet it can't link to stuff already linked! Windoze indeed!
By esemgee - 7 Years Ago
I almost forgot: update also removed Quicktime. Apple (also not on my Christmas card list) had decided not to update massive security issues for Quicktime windows and has basically told everyone to junk it. Fine, but my old versions of After Efffects and Premiere rely heavily on it, so to have Microsoft make decisions on removing software from my PC for me is a bit rum. My antivirus is up to anything that Quicktime can let in!!! (I hope!) Quicktime for Windows can still be found on Apple which makes a mockery of its standpoint.
By gcshep - 7 Years Ago
It's a disgrace the way these companies treat Joe public if the shoe was on the other foot there would be lawsuits coming at you from all directions 

By wires - 7 Years Ago
Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones, but Windows update hasn't caused me any problems so far. I have Windows Pro and have it set up to inform me when updates are available, and they only get installed when I know that nothing else is running that could be interrupted.

I also have QuickTime Pro installed as Media Composer, Boris Red, Squeeze and a few other Apps still use it for some tasks, but a Win update has never prevented it from working - never mind uninstalled it.
By gcshep - 7 Years Ago
Oh well we live and learn all be it the hard way will have to take the Windows update off auto should know better

By ckalan1 - 7 Years Ago
I have 7 computers two of them had a meltdown with the latest Windows update. I managed to fix the problems with my main computer by going to the Microsoft website and going through the process of fixing the updates. It is a known problem. I spent two days with Microsoft working on the other computer. It turned out that I had to replace the motherboard and reinstall all the software. These are all known issues.

By wires - 7 Years Ago
Windows is melting mainboards????w00t
By gcshep - 7 Years Ago
Really sorry to hear that at least I now know it wasn't something I did but on the other hand I am still awaiting a diagnostic report from the repair shop fingers crossed.

By Kelleytoons - 7 Years Ago
Yeah, like Wires my four computers had no issues with any of the Win 10 updates, including the latest (although the latest DID remove the manifest trick, apparently either iClone fixed things on their end or Win 10 adjusted things, but now I don't need it).
By raxel_67 - 7 Years Ago
To the people still using quicktime because it is required: I too was a slave to quicktime because i needed it for the video engine inside cubase (thankfully it is no longer the case), what you can do to protect your computer is to install/reinstall quicktime with only the core of quicktime, no player and no web browser plugin (this last two are the vulnerable parts). That way you can still operate premiere or after effects safely.

To the people suffering with windows 10 updates, change you windows update settings to delay this type of updates, you will still receive security updates but you will let others beta test the update for you, by the time your machine updates most if not all the installation woes should be fixed. Iclone is becoming a more and more complex software, which means that it is quite possible that some dependencies or libraries are changed when updating and the whole process might turn your iclone into a 3d realtime crash machine (not RL fault). Mostly the issues can arise from changes to the way the os talks to the hardware, or some change to internal locations or just a plain old screw up. Doing this is a good practice with advanced software, because 7 out of 10 times there are issues with updates, and if you make money with your software an update conflict can really $%&# you up. So in a nutshell, always install your security updates as soon as available, and update the os features when you have time to toubleshoot or when your software maker tells you it is safe to update.

Maybe RL could help its users this way, test their software on the new update, and just warn us when weird behaviour is expected. Steinberg does this all time, they tell you if you should  upgrade or not, if any issues appear they warn you and then they release a patch if applicable. it is a slow process, might take them a month or two to fully test the software, but surely the warning saves a lot of headaches, studio downtime, and near heart attack episodes, not to mention all the underwear that is saved.

By TonyDPrime - 7 Years Ago
Did anyone have any performance improvements following update to Win 10?   
By Kelleytoons - 7 Years Ago
Are you talking about from 8 to 10?  If so, yeah, my system is MUCH more stable and performs better on such things as drive searches (always important to me as I have 30+ TBs of stuff to search through, among many NAS drives).

Overall drivers are much better and less conflicted.  Now, if you mean the recent Win 10 "creator's Update" (or whatever the heck MS likes to call these things) it's still too early to tell, although I did erase the old version off my disc.
By animagic - 7 Years Ago
It's Windows 10 Home on my office PC that is causing me major headaches. It keeps trying to install the Creators update and failing...Crazy Lesson learned: always go for at least for Pro with anything.

I have one system running Windows 7 Ultimate that I use for sound. Worked fine, but Windows Update is broken so I need to do something manual, which I've forgotten...Unsure

My main system for iClone and related runs Windows 10 Pro and so far without problems. There is an Windows Update option to set it as a working in a business environment (or something like that), and that avoids most silliness. Any "features" are deferred as long as possible. I found Windows 7 becoming problematic so I did upgrade one machine and choose Windows 10 for a new build.

The "panic" about QuickTime was indeed only related to the web player. You never know if these "warnings" are from haters or based on fact. When trying to find reliable information you find a lot of pedantic people... Very different from here, obviously!