How do I tell iC where my content is located?

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic275328.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By homyakchik - 8 Years Ago
Howdy!
Noob, just so everyone knows. During installation, I pointed the templates and content folders to my own choice (in this case, D:\Graphics\3D Art\iClone, with the usual Templates and such). Not an awful lot seems to be displaying.

Found some free iC content, and copied/installed it into those Template and content directories. Yet nothing shows up in the content windows in the program itself. This morning, I got some really long error messages about "missing folders"; in particular, it looked very much like iC had tried to build a new folder hierarchy where I'd told it to put templates and content, and then wasn't finding it.

Just for the record, I don't let programs store the content I use/create anywhere near my C: drive (only for the OS), and especially not in some warren in my User directory. (DAZ Studio and 3DS Max are both bad about this too, until you smack them around.)

Looked around the forums, but found nothing relating to this. Looked around the program, but the only preferences pop-up I can find offers no choice at all for setting the content directories the program should use. Is there a different way to set these in iClone, or a different part of the program to go to?

Thanks!
Davey (frustrated with iC's flakiness, but still intriguied. The Crazy Talk trial was actually pretty fun and productive)

By wires - 8 Years Ago
I've never stored content on my C drive, and have also never had any problems with finding it after doing a custom install and selecting the paths during setup. If the user, and iClone, have full rights to access the content drive - and you can view the contents of all content folders using Windows Explorer -  then you could take a look in the Windows Registry to confirm that the paths have been correctly. Run Regedit and check that the file paths are correct under:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Reallusion\iClone\6.0

If the file paths are not as you expect them to be then the safest way to correct the problem is to uninstall iClone, run a Registry cleaner and do a fresh install using the content paths of your choice. An uninstall/reinstall does not normally remove any custom content that you may have created, or purchased, but a backup of the folders is always the best way to insure that nothing gets lost.
By Snarp Farkle - 8 Years Ago
There's more detail on how to edit he registry in THIS THREAD to make sure iClone can find them, it's not as hard as it may seem.

Exclamation Edited with the correct link, sorry about that Crazy

By animagic - 8 Years Ago
Hmm, that link pointed back to this thread...Unsure

Here are some instructions I wrote: https://forum.reallusion.com/220315/Relocate-document-and-contents-for-Iclone . They are for moving content, but that should help with checking the folders.
By Snarp Farkle - 8 Years Ago
animagic (3/15/2016)
Hmm, that link pointed back to this thread...Unsure

Here are some instructions I wrote: https://forum.reallusion.com/220315/Relocate-document-and-contents-for-Iclone . They are for moving content, but that should help with checking the folders.

Thanks animagic, I corrected the link, works now Blink