Mac support being dropped

Posted By arenbailey 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
arenbailey
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (636 reputation)Veteran Member (636 reputation)Veteran Member (636 reputation)Veteran Member (636 reputation)Veteran Member (636 reputation)Veteran Member (636 reputation)Veteran Member (636 reputation)Veteran Member (636 reputation)Veteran Member (636 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Over all was and am very happy with cartoon animator 4. Hearing about all upcoming features over the past few months with the release of version 5, and also the recent YouTube video showing off the upcoming features got me really excited. Until an email today, about mac support being dropped after version 4. I know many don’t like Mac OS, but those who do, and use it on a daily basis, anyone else here feeling sad about the latest news?
gregg2g
gregg2g
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (603 reputation)Veteran Member (603 reputation)Veteran Member (603 reputation)Veteran Member (603 reputation)Veteran Member (603 reputation)Veteran Member (603 reputation)Veteran Member (603 reputation)Veteran Member (603 reputation)Veteran Member (603 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I feel let down by this company.

iMac 27" I5 3.1 GHz 6 Core 32G 2667 MHz DDR 4 MacOS 10.15 CTA 4 Pipeline XP-Pen Artist 24 Pro
denise.wilson1
denise.wilson1
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)

In FAQs re Mac OS no longer being supported, it said 'For the Mac users, we will suggest using bootcamp as the alternative option'. How will this work?
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
denise.wilson1 (9/5/2022)
In FAQs re Mac OS no longer being supported, it said 'For the Mac users, we will suggest using bootcamp as the alternative option'. How will this work?

Just make sure you NEVER upgrade to Mac with an M1/M2 hardware configuration as dual boot systems into windows are a thing of the past for the Mac os.

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

wsterdan
wsterdan
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (196 reputation)Junior Member (196 reputation)Junior Member (196 reputation)Junior Member (196 reputation)Junior Member (196 reputation)Junior Member (196 reputation)Junior Member (196 reputation)Junior Member (196 reputation)Junior Member (196 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
arenbaley (9/5/2022)
… anyone else here feeling sad about the latest news?

Oh yeah, big time. I’ve used the software for a couple of years but was holding off getting into it more seriously until I retired to really hunker down and use it full-time; I retired in June, and started creating some custom characters with an eye on starting a store here as well. The software, for me, is pure fun. I really do love it.

Waking up to find out that Mac OS support is ending was really a blow. I totally understand the company’s reasoning and I support their business decision, but it still sucks for me personally.

I know that I could run the software under VM Fusion one of my Intel Macs, but I’ve worked in Windows for about 20-30 hours a week for the last 20 years and for me, personally, it would dial back the “fun” metre a lot, so I’ll pass.

— Walt Sterdan
denise.wilson1
denise.wilson1
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)

Thank you for your response,AutoDidact - How do I determine if I have updated with M1/M2 hardware?  I fear it may be too late for me as I have a new Mac with the Monterey OS.  I have been a Reallusion member for 12 years, so this is a major bummer!
animagic
animagic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 44 minutes ago
@denise: Here is an article which Macs have an M1/M2 chip and how to determine this for a specific Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211814#:~:text=iMac%20(24%2Dinch%2C%20M1,%2Dinch%2C%20M1%2C%202020).

@wsterdan: I was used to working on Unix systems and then had to move to Windows at my next job 25 years ago (I'm now retired).

But I got used to it and the big advantage for me is that I can build my own systems, but that's not for everyone.

I don't use Cartoon Animator but I hope there will be some kind of deal so that at least existing content is still useable.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

wsterdan
wsterdan
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (196 reputation)Junior Member (196 reputation)Junior Member (196 reputation)Junior Member (196 reputation)Junior Member (196 reputation)Junior Member (196 reputation)Junior Member (196 reputation)Junior Member (196 reputation)Junior Member (196 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
animagic (9/5/2022)
@denise: Here is an article which Macs have an M1/M2 chip and how to determine this for a specific Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211814#:~:text=iMac%20(24%2Dinch%2C%20M1,%2Dinch%2C%20M1%2C%202020).

@wsterdan: I was used to working on Unix systems and then had to move to Windows at my next job 25 years ago (I'm now retired).

But I got used to it and the big advantage for me is that I can build my own systems, but that's not for everyone.

I don't use Cartoon Animator but I hope there will be some kind of deal so that at least existing content is still useable.

@Denise - you can’t use Bootcamp, but you can use Parallels to run Windows on your M1 Mac. The drawback will be that your memory will be split between the Mac OS and the Windows OS — while Bootcamp only runs Windows OR Mac at one time, Parallels or VM Fusion runs both.

@animagic — First, let me say I’ve loved seeing your stuff over the years, and I appreciate your supportive attitude, my thanks. For me, as mentioned, I’ve spent 20-30 hours a week using Windows for work so I’m pretty much used to it, but I have never enjoyed working in it. That’s just me, it’s a completely personal decision. If I had to do animation for a living, I would have invested in a higher-end Windows machine and iClone years ago, but I’m planning on doing animation more for fun and for me — again, personal choice — Windows, on it’s very best day, has never been “fun” for me.

I’ll continue to animate in 3D for now, and use Cartoon Animator for some of the 2D stuff that is still very, very much fun, but if I decide to go with 2D more seriously I’ll probably bite the bullet and switch to MOHO.
Edited
2 Years Ago by wsterdan
arenbailey
arenbailey
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (636 reputation)Veteran Member (636 reputation)Veteran Member (636 reputation)Veteran Member (636 reputation)Veteran Member (636 reputation)Veteran Member (636 reputation)Veteran Member (636 reputation)Veteran Member (636 reputation)Veteran Member (636 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Definitely a shame. I just started using cartoon animator 4 full time. Intended to make it my primary work tool and source of income. Been over 16 years on mac, so you can probably imagine how much gear and tools I’ve acquired over the years.

On top of that fact, purchased the latest MacBook “future proofing myself” thinking my animation will eventually pay off these investments .of course that’s my problem but a shame. Not a software developer, but wondering if certain features could be simply removed to continue to at least have a watered down version.

Time to either change my workflow, which means changing every other bit of software I used to accompany my animations in mac os to switch to windows, or continue working on ca4, but after a while worried it’ll go outdated.

Still think reallusion is great, but feel like I’ve been kicked in the nuts.
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
wsterdan (9/5/2022)

@Denise - you can’t use Bootcamp, but you can use Parallels to run Windows on your M1 Mac. The drawback will be that your memory will be split between the Mac OS and the Windows OS — while Bootcamp only runs Windows OR Mac at one time, Parallels or VM Fusion runs both.

Please Note: We do not support virtual machine software like Parallels. You may be able to get CTA 5 to run but there will almost certainly be major issues. 

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic