Profile Picture

How do you justify the cost of this "Live Plugin" ?

Posted By davev 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
wendyluvscatz
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
As an iC6 user I can attest UE4 and FBX import works well enough, it is indeed slow though
I use Carrara too and could easily add a root bone in fact I have no choice it just adds one regardless 
my only issue is for some reason the set pose to get the default A pose is not working, with my DAZ exports too, something changed in Unreal recently as it worked before
now my animations and Third person characters end up twisted, its an UE4 issue,
I most just import FBX animated figures for cinematics though so not a huge issue.
the plugin is no doubt useful for those who are in fact making commercial games and I don't begrudge them it

mtakerkart
mtakerkart
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
The ultimate solution for this would be a subscription-based licensing model.

It will be the worst move that RL could do for me. I'll give up Iclone because If it is bought by another you got played.
I bought Plantfactory and they switch for subcription when it was redeemed (
a chance that the old perpetual version still works).
-Same for Substance (I paid a perpetual liscence)
-Same for Fuse and now Adobe no longer support it (I paid a perpetual liscence) :
https://theblog.adobe.com/an-update-on-adobe-fuse-as-adobe-moves-to-the-future-of-3d-ar-development/
-Same for Faceshift
_Today Ikenima was bought by Apple , all users got played again):
http://www.cgchannel.com/2019/10/apple-acquires-ikinema/

PopCornFX need only one thing : OPEN THE MARKETPLACE FOR PARTICLES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This plugin is tremendous and works very fine with Iclone , exept the DOF.. The problem is that it is a very  difficult approach but there's some Iclone users 
who can make everything but they can't sell particles . 
I spend 300$ to Persistant to build a specific template wich include variable vectorfield and variable velocity. I dug a little bit with the editor at the level of my knowledge
and I success to build very cool effect.

Back to the topic I understand that Reallusion want to reach the professional market .The professionnal market is video game for now and this plugin is optimized for Engine game.
Unity and UDK 4 are not for a single band otherwise you will always be late on time or you will be demotivated so much the process is long to achieve your project for movie.
Edited
5 Years Ago by mtakerkart
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
vidi (10/9/2019)
 as Example the Crazytalk unity plugin also so overpriced and short-lived.

The CrazyTalk Unity Plugin is a fair example but the removal of that product was forced upon us because browser support for the Unity Web Player was dropped. For the most part we continue to support products for as long as possible. I think it's fair to say there a very few plugins or add-on packs that we have released over the years that no longer work at all. They may have not received further updates but they still work.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

3dtester
3dtester
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Thank you for that information and the links @mtakerkart Exclamation Mark

In fact, i would like to see game developers using the Live Link plug-in.
It may sound selfish, but if they all buy the plugin, RL has more motivation to update & fix 'legacy' products Wink

animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 minutes ago
Acquisitions may be great for the original founders but are usually bad for customers.

For example, Apple has a tendency to drop all existing Windows support, including access to the license server of the software. In other cases the product is just "shelved". I lost several innovative products that way.

That's one reason I hope RL can continue to make it on its own. If that requires selling expensive plugins to game developers, why not? Tongue

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

vidi
vidi
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Peter (RL) (10/10/2019)
vidi (10/9/2019)
 as Example the Crazytalk unity plugin also so overpriced and short-lived.

The CrazyTalk Unity Plugin is a fair example but the removal of that product was forced upon us because browser support for the Unity Web Player was dropped. For the most part we continue to support products for as long as possible. I think it's fair to say there a very few plugins or add-on packs that we have released over the years that no longer work at all. They may have not received further updates but they still work.

That have noting  to do with Browser Support or Web Player Support 

do you remember ?
The pipeline from CrazyTalk 7 to Unity is not affected by the changes. You can continue to use the Unity plugin just as you have been doing

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)

vidi (10/10/2019)

That have noting  to do with Browser Support or Web Player Support 

do you remember ?
The pipeline from CrazyTalk 7 to Unity is not affected by the changes. You can continue to use the Unity plugin just as you have been doing

The CrazyTalk 7 Unity Plugin required the CrazyTalk Interactive Plugin. The Interactive Plugin was discontinued for the reasons I provided previously. While existing customers could continue to use the Unity Plugin at the time, there was obviously no future for the product as we no longer could sell the Interactive Plugin. This meant that sadly the Unity Plugin also became redundant.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

vidi
vidi
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
https://forum.reallusion.com/242719/UnityBased-CrazyTalk-Interactive-Web-Solutions-To-Be-Discontinued

Actually it has nothing to do with web browser 
True is, The Unity plugin was broken with  the new Unity updates and RL has lost interest to fix it , 
Because this plugin was high pricly and  therefore only few User.

I see the same trend for this  plugin.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

4413Media
4413Media
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I had the same concerns about this plug in, but I was fortunate enough to be at Siggraph this past August to see firsthand. After experimenting with the plug-in, I can offer my two cents now on this. 

I think, the Live Link plugin is targeted at game developers.

Surprisingly, not really. Unreal is quickly moving towards into previz and eventually production with the power of real time raytracing. There was an event that epic had with Jon Favreau explaining what he was using the unreal engine for  at Siggraph. I attended the blender conference so I missed this one but it's worth looking into. 

Now for the plug in itself. Keep in mind, this is clearly not aimed for hobbyists. If you're wondering what might justify the price. It's time. 

This plug in offers instant feedback. It took me a few minutes to bring in a character, set it up, and link. When I animate the character in iclone,  it does it instantly in unreal. Compared to importing the fbx, setting materials to the nodes, and tweaking. It takes time. It's fine for a hobbyist, but think if you are a previz production company, time is money. Would you pay 1000 for a plug that takes your character in like that...  saving precious production time. Or go through the tedious process yourself spending production time. It tends to pay itself off in the long term. 

So looking at where unreal is headed, I can see it being used more and more in this area. 

iClone Certified Director and makes miserable Westerns.
Edited
5 Years Ago by BenjaminTuttle
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

vidi (10/11/2019)
https://forum.reallusion.com/242719/UnityBased-CrazyTalk-Interactive-Web-Solutions-To-Be-Discontinued

Actually it has nothing to do with web browser 
True is, The Unity plugin was broken with  the new Unity updates and RL has lost interest to fix it , 
Because this plugin was high pricly and  therefore only few User.

I see the same trend for this  plugin.  

I have explained our position and the reasons for it. Sadly it seems you refuse to believe me so I'll leave it at that. Ermm

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic