How to Add (parent) extra props to CC ?

Posted By Alon Dan 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Alon Dan
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hello All,
Since I'm very new to iClone 6 and rest of the latest tools (including Character Creator and 3DXchange), my questions may sound stupid but I hope that you can help me out.

I'm working on a Character in CC, and I would like to add extra parts to "stick" to the character.
For example: I'm modeling a Shoulder Pad in Blender and I want it to "sit" over the CC character's shoulder, whenever the shoulder moves... the shoulder pads follows.
Is there a way to do that in iClone or 3DXchange without skinning the all thing in Blender?

It could be a Helmet (stick to the head), or it could be a backpack stick to the back of the character... I have many other examples but I believe you got the idea.
- Is there a simple user-friendly way to do this?
- If there is a video tutorial to explain it I'll be happy to watch and learn! thanks ahead Smile

Sorry about my bad English.
justaviking
This post has been flagged as an answer
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Your English is excellent.

The short answer is you Link or Attach the item to your character in iClone.
Link and Attach are similar, but the biggest difference is LINK can be turned on/off at specific times, for like having your character pick up a coffee cup and then release it.  (It's still early here.  I need my morning coffee.)
http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/help/iClone3/17_Linkage/Link_and_Attach.htm

You can connect props to a specific bone (wrist, skull, shoulder) at it will move with that bone.

There are ways to save your character with the attached items as "accessories."
I'm not at my iClone computer right now, so I will have to rely on someone to add more detail to make this post more useful.

I don't know if this tutorial will help a lot, but it does talk about Link and Attach...

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
9 Years Ago by justaviking
Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

You can connect props to a specific bone (wrist, skull, shoulder) at it will move with that bone.

There are ways to save your character with the attached items as "accessories."
I'm not at my iClone computer right now, so I will have to rely on someone to add more detail to make this post more useful.   

Thank you very much for your help!
The Link & Attach explanation and tutorial are very helpful.

But yes, the save as accessories feature / or attach to a specific Bone is exactly what I'm looking for!
If you or anybody know a good video tutorial about it, Please share... I'm still looking for this, I hope it is simple. Smile
Edited
9 Years Ago by Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

...I would "Skin" it in Blender.
Weld the vertices and create a "Single Mesh!
RENDERS MUCH FASTER! Wow

Thanks sw00000p
I should give it a shot, I have 2 questions related to this subject:
1 - If I will skin it in Blender, should I export it as FBX or OBJ? if I want to bring it back to 3DXchange (with all the textures of the character and the accessory).
2 - Is there another way without re-skin everything?
It will be very useful and dynamic for my workflow, if I can just parent somehow the shoulder pad (or any other future accessory) to any existed bone of the CC character.

Edited
9 Years Ago by Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Bring it in as prop.... create and accessory by Linking or Attaching it to a BONE!

Since I'm new to this, How do I bring it as a prop:
Is it just as simple as exporting from Blender > OBJ > 3DXchange > iAvatar ?
Then importing inside iClone, placing the object on the shoulder of the Character and link... or  am I missing something?

Based on the video tutorial, I thought Link & Attach are only available for a complete object,
I didn't know it's possible to attach to a bone... and that might be the solution I'm looking for, but I have no idea how to do that yet in iClone, I'm still searching for a video tutorial to understand how it's done.

Thank you for the help Smile
Edited
9 Years Ago by Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

This sounds simple and user-friendly thanks to your explanation, THANK YOU!
I will follow your guide and give it a try as soon as I get back from the studio, I can't wait to test it! Smile
Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I just wanted to say THANKS for the linking solution which is working perfect on CC character! Smile
If I understood correct this may cost me more CPU / GPU rather than just re-skin the shoulder pad and possibly extra items to the character (correct me if I'm wrong) but it have it's advantages such as animating it inside iClone, re-link and such which is AMAZING!

I'm now getting into more complicated part... wonder if I can get some help because this is all new to me.
HERE IS MY OTHER THREAD  (click to read)  related to what I'm trying to understand and learn, any help will be appreciated so thanks ahead! Smile
Bellatrix
Bellatrix
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Swoop is in a colorful mood...

I've been thinking
Soon after the arrival of CC Pipeline
iClone will enter a new phase
kind of a Renaissance
So the forum will be flooded with new users
Knowledgeable tutors here should perhaps consolidate their precious know-how
Don't let precious information go missing
Like how it happened with Daz3D forums

I can see popular demand for...
Swoop's super topic "Optimized Prop Modeling 101 for iClone"
Rampa's super topic "What you didn't know about iClone"
Wendy's super topic "Daz Carrara iClone Frequent Flyer Program"
So many smart (and helpful) people here
Etc. etc Smile

>>> Indie Generalist modeler-rigger-animator <<< Hardware: AlienWare i7-HK 32G GTX1080 2T-SSDs BenqSW320 Wacom-Intuous 3Dconnexion ||| Software: IC6 Pipeline - CTA3 Pipeline - ATK2 - Indigo ||| Zbrush4R8. Blender 2.79. DazStudio 4.9. Carrara. Poser. Octane.

Reading This Topic