Posted By bpkantor 7 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.

make characters/props invisible until certain point in scene

Author
bpkantor
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (796 reputation)Veteran Member (796 reputation)Veteran Member (796 reputation)Veteran Member (796 reputation)Veteran Member (796 reputation)Veteran Member (796 reputation)Veteran Member (796 reputation)Veteran Member (796 reputation)Veteran Member (796 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Hi all,

How do you make a character or prop invisible until a certain point in a scene? I added "Visible" in the timeline editor to one of the characters, right-clicked, toggled on and off, and somehow got it to work.

However, I tried the same method with a moving prop and it did not work.
Kevin.S
Kevin.S
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
This works for everything moving or not also on particles, clothing, props, characters, terrains, anything that has a material opacity setting.

1 Select the prop
2 Go to modify panel
3 Select materials tab
4 Scroll down to material settings
5 Adjust opacity slider from 100 to 0, go to the frame you want the effect to start in the timeline, then
adjust the slider, then go to the frame you want the effect to stop, again adjust the slider and your done.
how fast or how slow you want the change is up to you ...

Note:
1 To do this with some props and characters, you have to adjust the opacity for each material item, in the materials list
2 For the best over all look turn the props shadow resolution down to 512x512.

Project view...

I used the same effect with the hologram appearing at the start

Quick render

Cheers BigGrin

Freelance Artist Kevin.S

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/57cedd8e-58c4-42ce-b2f4-9646.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5a59e070-66a0-4914-b0a5-b2dc.png 

Email: animatemyart@gmail.com - Web Site:  www.animatemyart.com
Edited
7 Years Ago by Kevin.S
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
"Opacity" is one way of doing it.
It has the advantage of being a gradual change from visible to invisible, if you want.
To make that a sudden change, you will need to use a "Step" function on your keyframe.

In most cases, I would recommend using the "Visible" setting on the Modify panel.
It is a simple On/Off setting.
You can see the results very easily on the timeline.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/94006af4-4bb7-49b6-9f32-c417.jpg

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
7 Years Ago by justaviking
Kevin.S
Kevin.S
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
justaviking (2/11/2017)
"Opacity" is one way of doing it.
It has the advantage of being a gradual change from visible to invisible, if you want.
To make that a sudden change, you will need to use a "Step" function on your keyframe.

In most cases, I would recommend using the "Visible" setting on the Modify panel.
It is a simple On/Off setting.
You can see the results very easily on the timeline.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/94006af4-4bb7-49b6-9f32-c417.jpg

Its the same with opacity, Go to frame 1 turn opacity to 0, 
Go to frame 2 , turn opacity to 100  on off 1 frame but with the opacity slider you can add motion sizing textures etc etc
With the visible selection you cant .. BigGrin

Freelance Artist Kevin.S

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/57cedd8e-58c4-42ce-b2f4-9646.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5a59e070-66a0-4914-b0a5-b2dc.png 

Email: animatemyart@gmail.com - Web Site:  www.animatemyart.com
Edited
7 Years Ago by Kevin.S
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
True.

That reminds me of before I learned about the Step function (learned about its existence) in the timeline eons ago, I would go to say, frame 337, set a value, and then go to frame 338 and change the value.  The effect was that of a step function, but with more work.

The main thing is to be aware of the variety of tool at ones disposal.  I was simply pointing out another option.  Smile

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

bpkantor
bpkantor
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (796 reputation)Veteran Member (796 reputation)Veteran Member (796 reputation)Veteran Member (796 reputation)Veteran Member (796 reputation)Veteran Member (796 reputation)Veteran Member (796 reputation)Veteran Member (796 reputation)Veteran Member (796 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Awesome, thank you for all your helpful responses!

Reading This Topic