Profile Picture

3dXChange - Is it possible to exclude bones for export?

Posted By Hoaxx 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Hoaxx
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (297 reputation)Senior Member (297 reputation)Senior Member (297 reputation)Senior Member (297 reputation)Senior Member (297 reputation)Senior Member (297 reputation)Senior Member (297 reputation)Senior Member (297 reputation)Senior Member (297 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I'm trying to reduce the bone count for game character LODs (facial bones, toes, finger digits, nubs, extra floor bones ought to be excluded).

For a moment I thought it would be as simple as unchecking them in the scene tree in 3dxchange and exporting (to fbx/Unreal in my case), but the exported character still remains all bones.
I also tried to go to "convert to non-standard skeleton", then deselect all bones I don't want and convert - but the scene tree remains unchanged.

Can 3dxchange remove bones for export or do I need to modify the skeleton in an external program?

Many thanks in advance!
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Hi Hoaxx, 

unfortunately,  no.   when you remove bones from a rig,  you damage the weight mapping ( basically what glues the mesh to the bones for deformation ),  iclone hasn't the tools to do such a thing.  You'd have to export the fbx to another software than can remake the maps. such as blender, modo, lightwave, 3DS Max, Carrara  Maya etc.. if i had to to choose my poison,  i'd try to make the bones work as is,  re-adjusting an existing rig, especially with a lot of bones,  is a can of worms - fair warning. lol

I hope this helps,

Cheers Smile

vidi
vidi
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
very easy to delete or reparent  Bones in Akeytsu 

https://www.nukeygara.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Hoaxx
Hoaxx
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (297 reputation)Senior Member (297 reputation)Senior Member (297 reputation)Senior Member (297 reputation)Senior Member (297 reputation)Senior Member (297 reputation)Senior Member (297 reputation)Senior Member (297 reputation)Senior Member (297 reputation)

Thanks for the answers.
So what would the workflow / pipeline be here? Would I need to re-rig each and every character I create with iClone6+CC in order to get low res skeleton game assets, or is it possible to re-rig a template skeleton/model and use it in CC to create characters based on this new, non standard skeleton?

Basically, my question would be: Does *Character Creator* accept non-standard skeletons and/or mesh modifications (preserving all shape morphs and customization)?
Hoaxx
Hoaxx
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

@sw00000p: In a nutshell, CC to create meshes (and animations), Akeytsu to rerig final characters to one skeleton (e.g. a UE4 mannequin compatible one).

Couple of follow up questions:

- Do you retarget animations from iClone in Engine, or via Akeytsu as well?

- When you say "Repurpose One Rig", do you mean actually reshaping the iClone skeleton, creating your own desired skeleton from scratch or using some form of already available rig?

- Also, "Resize it to fit ALL humanoid mesh's" I don't quite get - basic rigging stuff, I suppose?
Hoaxx
Hoaxx
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

@sw00000p: That was quite awesome! I'm yet to dive into rigging but that right there will help a lot to get started! Thank you for the elaborate answer.

Yes, I didn't mean "animate in CC", just a badly chosen mental shortcut for the iClone toolset as a whole. 

For my purposes I'd probably animate a template character in iClone, import it to Unreal, retarget its skeleton there - just to copy its animations to my custom skeleton (which works pretty well, e.g. for Mixamo animations). In Unreal then all (most) actual game asset characters would share this one custom skeleton.  

Reading This Topic