Profile Picture

The Iray search for the "Sweet Spot" render settings ...

Posted By sonic7 5 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.

The Iray search for the "Sweet Spot" render settings ...

Author
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

Greetings to all - this thread is mainly for the "indie film makers" ....
As a result of the recent release of Iray for iClone, there's no doubt been a lot of "testing" going on...
I don't pretend to have the "perfect" answer here, but thought I'd share my findings anyway ....

I run a single Nvidia GTX-1070 card, (probably currently 'middle-ish' in the overall mix of graphics cards out-there).
OK. - so like everyone else, I wanted MAXIMUM quality for MINIMAL "hit" on my PC (laptop actually).

So here it is ... maybe give it a try ... it's designed for MAX speed ... (compromises of course!).

SETTINGS:
● De-Noise set to "39"
● Eliminate Shadow Artifact "ON"
● Anti-Alias Radius "1.5"
● Hardware Settings - Threads = "6" (depends on your particular PC)
● Render Mode "Interactive"
● GI Mode = "Diffuse" (problems can occur if using "Diffuse + Specular")
● Raytrace Quality = "High"
● Preview Auto Update = "ON"
● Preview Tessellations and Displacements = "OFF"
● Frame Size = "Custom" (I use 960 x 409).
Under "Export Settings"
● Select a folder location and your output Format (I used PNG).
● Export Mode = Standalone Render (Save MI Scene) - which is the 'default' setting.
●  Output Size = 1920 x 1080, OR, if needing widescreen, try 1920 x 818 (for a 2.35:1 aspect ratio) (or 1920 x 800 for a 21:9 aspect)
● Enter your 'Range' to be rendered.
● Frame Rate = 24 (or as you require)..
● Stop Criteria - Sample Iterations = "40" (that's right start at just "40" iterations! - you can always increase if needed) Smile
PLUS, under iClone's 'Edit' > 'Preferences' > 'Iray Render Globals', you could reduce the 'Max Texture Size' to 1024 x1024
● Set your Viewing Quality to iClone's new "Minimal" setting (if you're running a bit low on VRam).

After hitting "render" It takes several minutes for the full 'loading' to occur, and then the frames will render sequentially after that.

You might be surprised how *fast* your render will be,. These 'lean' settings yielded me 3 frames per minute on my sample scene.
Also, given that these settings are for "Interactive Mode" (rather than "Photoreal Mode"), you might need to add some "Temporal Filtering" to smooth any slight 'flicker' or 'fluctuations' within the finished render sequence. - You could run your exported png sequence through a 'non linear editor' like Vegas (or similar), adding a 'temporal filter'. I used the 'Boris Temporal Blur' with it's 'default' setting. (Somebody might suggest something better though?). Edit: Just discovered that Boris 'BBC Noise Reduction' does a better job - it has a preset called 'Suppress More Y Noise' which seems to work well. (But dial the 'sharpness' to 0). Also maybe use 'BBC Gaussian Blur' with the preset 'slight blur.bsp' and dial the (linked) horizontal/vertical value to 0.5
The only other thing done in Vegas were the 'Levels'. For that I simply used 'Vegas Levels' to boost the overall gain and set the black levels. The 'order' of the filter chain was ● Levels > ● BCC Noise Reduction > ● BCC Gaussian Blur.
Edit: OK - here's an even better result:
* Vegas 'Levels' to set Gain, Gamma & Black level.
* 'BCC Flicker Fixer' using the preset 'Default Temporal Smooth YCC' and set 'smoothing' to '3' and 'Y Range' to '3'.
* Finally, 'BCC Gaussian Blur' if you want more of a 'film look'. Use 'Default.bsp' with 'Blur' set to 0.1 (or 0.2 or 0.3 for a 'softer' result).

So the above settings are simply a beginning. Those with older graphics cards may find these settings an advantage, while those with more powerful cards could 'up the ante' and increase the quality settings for sure ... Anyway - I hope this is useful to some as a "starting point".

And of course, if you can offer suggestions/improvements - please chime-in !!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
5 Years Ago by sonic7
charly Rama
charly Rama
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
thank you Sonic. I've tried your setting and indeed faster . Thank you.

BUT...I worked a lot with lut, GI and IBL on my project and...I liked the render more than Iray. I've posted it at my thread comparison and you see the potential of Iclone. I'll use your settings just for very short shoot for my project because the time needed for Iray is just too much

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Thanks Charly ... yes I'm yet to venture into using LUTS, GI ans IBL really. I'm keeping it basic for now ... but maybe down the track I'll get into them. - I'll take a look at your thread - thanks !!  Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
5 Years Ago by sonic7
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Hi  Steve
 while those are generally some good "optimization" tips
the problem with them as that they can not account for the varibles
that will come into play for each individual,
for example Multiple humans or other organic life forms  with
skin and Subsurface scattering.

Or Sci-fi mechs&gear,Vehicles with reflective and emissive surfaces
and thick transparent surfaces with caustics.

I am glad you specifically addressed this post to "indie filmmakers"
because that is what I consider to be the target demographic of Iclone.

I have seen people post  an iray render of a single portrait of one pretty girl
in an empty universe, with render time of 18 minutes!!!

Ok thats fine if that is all you will ever do ( still portraits of pretty girls)
However if you are not testing a render engine under the exact conditions of your
expected usage (animated films) then what is the point?

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

Edited
5 Years Ago by AutoDidact
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi Auto ... I probably should have said 'basic' indie filmakers - more the 'entry level' (like me), who aren't including advanced visual features.
I did my test on only a couple of basic scenes and just tried to dial in the *fastest* iRay render time I could get, with 'acceptable' quality (to me anyway). It's just a starting point .....

Edit:
I'd said that I got around 3 frames per minute on my scene (using a GTX-1070 based laptop). Just now I ran the rather demanding "Loft Scene", which naturally dropped me back - (to just under 1.5 frames per minute). But that's not bad for the Loft scene (for 1080p). I guess this shows the ability of the iRay 'interactive mode' which is much faster than 'Photoreal mode'.

Edited
5 Years Ago by sonic7
3dtester
3dtester
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Thanks...even though i let alone the idea of iray animation for now, i found some your tips very helpful.

animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
I have found LUT filters I can apply in Vegas, so that gives me some of the same benefits (which I like a lot) that I find in iClone. For testing purposes, I use a slightly longer iteration cycle (150) and then denoise at 149. But it is a good practice to denoise one frame before the final one.

I also render at 1280x720 and then use AI Gigapixel to scale up to 1920x1080.

I consider the iClone native renderer and the Iray renderer to be two different vehicles, so I adjust my scenes to work optimally for Iray. The result I get with Iray suits me. My current project has people in it (it is in fact quite "naturalistic"), but the look is not overly realistic and a certain griminess fits what I'm after.

EDIT: To optimize VRAM usage, I export the scene files first and then close iClone and use the Standalone renderer.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
5 Years Ago by animagic
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks Job .... yes 40 iterations is extremely 'lean' (was pushing the boundaries), but 150 is surely a more respectable figure if you've got the hardware to achieve it in a reasonable time. I've noticed that 1080p rendered as 1080p is indeed on the 'sharp' side (as Mark has mentioned). I'm tempted, (when I get a chance) to do an upscale from 720p, but I might try it without Gigapixel, to see wthether I can get a more 'film' look (on the soft side). Mark spoke of using bicubic during the upscale to knock off the jaggies. I don't know atm (haven't looked), whether Vegas has a good filter for that. I've got that old 'VirtualDub' free program which has various bicubic settings for when resizing. If anyone has a time tested best approach for ordinary upscaling, I'm keen to know.

I get what you're saying about Iray and iClone being two different vehicles. I've now got to re-light my shots using the Iray preview window for 'reference'. Some of my lights are 'spilling' over (too much 'reach'), resulting in areas being washed out, so are too 'flat' looking. But at the same time, other camera angles show excessive contrast and need to be better balanced with lighting levels ....

Edited
5 Years Ago by sonic7
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
Imagine this as an episode of "In Search Of" with Leonard Nimoy.
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

.... lol Tony .... 

Reading This Topic