Stability of new updates?

Posted By Lamias 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lamias
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Greetings fellow iCloners!

I am currently using IC 7.2. I wanted to finish a project before updating, just to be on the safe side.

Now I am almost finishing it, and I am considering updating to the latest version.

May I ask how is it in terms of stability and functionality? I remember seeing some issues in the forums (particularly in 7.3) and I was wondering if they have been solved, or if I should refrain from updating just yet.

Thoughts on the matter?

Thanks!!

My YouTube Channel
Phoenix   Wink

Edited
5 Years Ago by Lamias
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 20 minutes ago
I haven't found it to be any less stable.  The differences are noted here and it would behoove you to carefully read them and decide for yourself whether it's worth it (for me it certainly was).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Rottadamic
Rottadamic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
pleace do not update to 7.4!, it is verry unstable

My Youtube Channel

Lamias
Lamias
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

The responses seem a little contradictive..!!

@Kelley, I wasn't talking about freezing, lagging etc. Maybe I phrased it in a wrong way.

I have read about the new features along with CC3 and I can't wait to test them. But I am worried that the new updates may have some bugs and functionality problems, because that's what I saw on the forums when they first came out. Many users were complaining about it.

I would like to know if those issues have been fixed.

Thanks!!

My YouTube Channel
Phoenix   Wink

Edited
5 Years Ago by Lamias
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

This will be what you get, which is why I suggested you read carefully ALL of the threads you can.

Some folks have issues that some of us do not have at all (even using the same functions).  I have ZERO stability issues compared to previous releases and, in some cases, even less compared to other releases.  But obviously YMMV and no one can really tell you whether you should or shouldn't upgrade (perhaps your best bet is to run multiple versions -- you can do that).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Rottadamic
Rottadamic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
well, my problem is not fixed, when I want to render, it chaches, restart, and then it works fine.
very very irritating.
I hope 7.5 will fix this

My Youtube Channel

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yeah, but some folks are STILL reporting issues with 7.0.  (And have rolled back to 6.5).  So you pays your money, you takes your chances.

No software will ever be bug free.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Lamias
Lamias
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I am sorry, I seem to have misunderstood.

I am aware that every software has its bugs, and of course some bugs are unique to the user's system.

But from what I saw in the forums (especially in the 7.3 update), there was a big outbreak of complaints and bugs that appeared to almost everyone here.

Those are the bugs I wanted to know if they are fixed. So, is IC 7.4 considered a "normal" version in terms of bugs?

My YouTube Channel
Phoenix   Wink

OlanderDA
OlanderDA
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I am with @Kelleytoons
I have updated our animation computer to 7.4 and have ZERO stability issues. The caveat here is...we only do body animations and have the curve editor plugin.
So from my standpoint it works great!

If one is in the middle of a project and is nervous about it and the project can be completed in said version then why update? Update after. As long as you save often I have never seen any corrupted files n iClone 7 when it crashed the few times it has. So worth taking the chance....sure...from my view. Up to you though.
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Lamias (1/9/2019)
I am currently using IC 7.2. I wanted to finish a project before updating, just to be on the safe side.

Now I am almost finishing it, and I am considering updating to the latest version.

You say you are ALMOST DONE with your project.  In that case, the best advice is to FINISH THE PROJECT FIRST, as you stated.  That applies to any software, not only iClone.

The other thing to consider is to make a full backup of your C: drive before installing the new version, in which case you could restore your backup in case of emergency.

The new version seems to work well for most people, but there are always exceptions, and you may or may not be one of the people who struggle after updating, which is why it's always risky to update stuff while you're working on a project you care about, and backups are good to have.

Good luck.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
5 Years Ago by justaviking

Reading This Topic