Iclone 7 unaware of 3DXCHANGE 6 PIPELINE

Posted By blindman 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
blindman
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 days ago
I upgraded Iclone from 6 to 7 and was pleased to see that 3DX6 pipeline was aware of the installation of Iclone 7 giving me the option to export to either Ic6 or Ic7 .... Howevver Iclone7 is oblivious to the presence of 3DX6 meaning once a character has been exported from 3DX6 to Iclone7 the option to edit it in 3DX6 is not available in Iclone7.  WHY?
I understand that some new functions of Ic7 are not supported in 3DX6 however 90% are. I would except the limitations of such a link.
If there is a way it would be nice

Rant time  to RL (To which I am entitled to my opinion)
The reason I havnt upgraded to 3DX7pipeline is the mean price reduction for upgrade.$150 off the $500 price is backward, the upgrade price should reflect the additional functions and features a current user would gain from the upgrade. The current pricing essentially means paying again for stuff user's already have. 30% off would be an amazing deal for a new product. But $350 for basiclly a morph slider and an updated version of the facial rig so it works in Ic7 come on...... The FBX export from Ic7 is simply a different way and hardly worth the mention. and whats with having to pay more for the curve editor than the upgrade price for Ic7 a function which is a basic function of any animation tool.
I can understand the  enticement  to new users of the offer of a free version of Ic6 as part of the purchase of pre- release Ic7  But as a current Ic6 user  it's an empty gesture, if your going to do this then offer current members and users of current products alternative's to this.
I currently have Ic7 installed but I bearly use it, as on it's own it's useless without spending far more money than is justified to upgrade my Ic6 pipeline up to Ic7 pipeline. This problably means I will be forced to abandon Iclone altogether

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your views.

With each new generation of a product line, the import/export pipeline is always aimed at the same generation products. So iClone 7 is setup to work directly with 3DXchange 7 and Character Creator 2. You can still use 3DXchange 6 to convert 3rd party content for use in iClone 7, but for direct communication between products they need to be the same generation.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

blindman
blindman
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)

Thanks but Kind'a missed the point !

Not saying you didnt know you were missing the the point but........
On the mountains of truth you can never climb in vain: either you will reach a point higher up today, or you will be training your powers so that you will be able to climb higher tomorrow.
Friedrich Nietzsche
On the mountains of truth you can never climb in vain: either you will reach a point higher up today, or you will be training your powers so that you will be able to climb higher tomorrow.Friedrich Nietzsche
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/f/friedrichn124651.html
On the mountains of truth you can never climb in vain: either you will reach a point higher up today, or you will be training your powers so that you will be able to climb higher tomorrow.Friedrich Nietzsche
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/f/friedrich_nietzsche.html
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Unfortunately I have no clue what that all means. If I missed the point then please explain which point I missed. Whistling

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

pka4916
pka4916
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Peter (RL) (8/8/2017)
Unfortunately I have no clue what that all means. If I missed the point then please explain which point I missed. Whistling

Don't you see the point?.... Me either..... Ermm    Mountains do have a point of no return... 
Edited
7 Years Ago by pka4916
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
blindman (8/8/2017)
Thanks but Kind'a missed the point !
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/f/friedrich_nietzsche.html

Ah, the blind leading the blind, is that right "blindman?"  Hehe

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

blindman
blindman
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Most version changes are a progression. The next generation of a product will have significant functionality in common with it's predecessor, only the new elements or old functions that have been re coded will not work with the old generation.
this evolution process offers backward compatibility, benefiting both the current user base as older products can in most part still interact, and prior to release the developers benefit from having a known functioning system off which to develop. It makes no sense to knock the whole building down just to build a porch.

As I previously stated there are only 3 new functions to 3Dx7 over 3Dx6 ( this is from your own comparison chart and ignoring the PBR function for a moment, 2 way communication is completely feasible between Ic7 and 3Dx6 for most of the other functions. Those limitations would certainly cause users issues without proper planning, but as both Ic7 and Character creator-2 both have the ability to turn on and off PBR, simply "Dont implement any PBR functions on an asset until it's development is complete, if you are using 3Dx6. A character pipelined thru 3Dx6 into Ic7 will have the old rigging so if Ic7 can read and operate the asset then being able to push it back into 3Dx6 to adjust seems perfectly feasible to me.

To prove this I exported a Daz character from 3Dx6 to Ic7, Then in Ic7 I made changes i.e. set up soft cloth and collision objects e.t.c. and saved it in Ic7.
I then went back into 3Dx6 navigated to the Ic7 folder containing the character and opened it up I made some changes to the face rig and saved/Exported it back to Ic7.
I went back to Ic7 loaded the character back into the scene. All the changes translated between 3Dx6 and Ic7 in both directions this makes my proposition valid.

While I can do this as a work around it demonstrates a nonsense of the suggestion that Ic7 cant communicate with 3Dx6

Which brings me to the bottom line so to speak !

My belief is the only reason for attempting to make this a one way street is to Erm... encourage existing users to upgrade to 3Dx7 which wouldn't so bad if the "upgrade" price wasn't so high. Again ! the upgrade price should reflect within reason the work done to create the additional functions and features a current user would gain from the upgrade. not basically have to pay for the product a second time.

If thats not clear maybe this will help

Newtek are offering lightwave upgrade at 49% of the purchase price
3Dx7 upgrade is 69% of the purchase price

Quote " THERE IS NO CAN'T OR WON'T ONLY THE LACK OF WILL TO DO SO !"

animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

There are many changes in iClone 7 that are not supported by 3DXchange 6, hence a new version. That has nothing to do with new features in 3DXchange 7. 3DXchange is an integral part in the overall functionality of the iClone environment, but it is a separate product to give those without a need for it a cheaper option.

I think you have the choice to either accept this reality or move on.

I would also like to point out that unlike some products that have yearly releases with associated incompatibilities, iClone's life cycles are quite generous in comparison.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

blindman
blindman
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Tutor:   your comment "I think you have the choice to either accept this reality or move on."

Telling customers "like it or leave " does nothing for customer relations and still doesnt address my point either face up to this reality or dont reply.
vidi
vidi
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Maybe RL should finally change the title tutor, too many  people think tutor mean a RL employee Rolleyes

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Reading This Topic