A severe lack of characters

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic82713.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By AverageJoe - 13 Years Ago
I know one of the main points of CTA is the ability to use photos and create your own characters, but I'm not a big fan of the photo image mapping.  They look too much like photos that have been cut up, and reput together to create a very rough animation.  Sprite based characters always look the best.  But so far, all of the content sprite based characters are exaggerated cartoon characters.  What I need are more seriously oriented sprite based characters, since I have little to no graphic talent to create my own.

Service oriented occupations (postamn, delivery man, warehouse worker, etc...), office workers (but again no the exaggerated cartoon type).

Any chance of getting some content that would/could be used in a more professinal setting?

By Chris George - 13 Years Ago
I know. I agree, Ive brought all content packs and just seems disappointing and expensive for not a lot of useful contentn
By peteradam6 - 13 Years Ago
I agree, something more suited to public information and business uses. Characters that are drawn more like these characters from the classic Eric Goldberg anti-smoking ad from 1980...

Still toony, but more timeless.
By Paumanok West - 13 Years Ago
peteradam6 (5/14/2011)
I agree, something more suited to public information and business uses. Characters that are drawn more like these characters from the classic Eric Goldberg anti-smoking ad from 1980...

I have the cartoon solutions to your request. If I were Reallusion, I think I would cut him a deal to port his Flash and Anime Studio designs over to CTA.
Paumanok West (5/14/2011)
peteradam6 (5/14/2011)

I have the cartoon solutions to your request. If I were Reallusion, I think I would cut him a deal to port his Flash and Anime Studio designs over to CTA.

EDIT: Oh, and guess what, he has the kind of animated special effects people have been asking for, too.
peteradam6 (5/14/2011)

I have some content packs from Cartoon solutions, and they are good characters, but they are not directly importable into CTA.  They will have to be taken into a separate program, broken apart into individual pieces, imported a piece at a time, and re-assembled.  Frankly, I'd rather purchase pre-made, directly importable characters and get on with movie making, which is where I'd much rather spend my time.

wizaerd (5/14/2011)
I have some content packs from Cartoon solutions, and they are good characters, but they are not directly importable into CTA. They will have to be taken into a separate program, broken apart into individual pieces, imported a piece at a time, and re-assembled. Frankly, I'd rather purchase pre-made, directly importable characters and get on with movie making, which is where I'd much rather spend my time.

For the record, I was taking all that for granted, and trying to help you by proposing that Cartoon Solutions might well be interested in porting its characters to CTA format. Have you considered dropping them a line?
wizaerd (5/14/2011)
I have some content packs from Cartoon solutions, and they are good characters, but they are not directly importable into CTA. They will have to be taken into a separate program, broken apart into individual pieces, imported a piece at a time, and re-assembled. Frankly, I'd rather purchase pre-made, directly importable characters and get on with movie making, which is where I'd much rather spend my time.

For the record, I was taking all that for granted, and trying to help you by proposing that Cartoon Solutions might well be interested in porting its characters to CTA format. Have you considered dropping them a line?

I had a while ago, and said they didn't have much interest in supporting an application that was little known.  Recently, they stopped supporting (officially at least) ToonBoom as well.

wizaerd (5/14/2011)

... proposing that Cartoon Solutions might well be interested in porting its characters to CTA format. Have you considered dropping them a line?

I had a while ago, and said they didn't have much interest in supporting an application that was little known. Recently, they stopped supporting (officially at least) ToonBoom as well.

OK, then it probably wouldn't be such a big investment for Reallusion to commission him to port the characters over and then relieve him of the need to market the products himself. He's trying to make a living selling his characters--if the deal made sense, I bet he would welcome it.

I suggest that if people want this, they can lobby Reallusion, which recently boasted that it has "the biggest ears in the business" regarding requests from its customer base. (And I think the claim is justified.)
By Peter (RL) - 13 Years Ago
wizaerd (5/10/2011)
I know one of the main points of CTA is the ability to use photos and create your own characters, but I'm not a big fan of the photo image mapping.  They look too much like photos that have been cut up, and reput together to create a very rough animation.  Sprite based characters always look the best.  But so far, all of the content sprite based characters are exaggerated cartoon characters.  What I need are more seriously oriented sprite based characters, since I have little to no graphic talent to create my own.

Service oriented occupations (postamn, delivery man, warehouse worker, etc...), office workers (but again no the exaggerated cartoon type).

Any chance of getting some content that would/could be used in a more professinal setting?

Hi Wizaerd.. Your request has been passed to the CTA team for review. Thanks for the feedback.

By MyCartoonLibrary - 12 Years Ago
Hello Everyone.

I have made over 300 characters for Flash and was considering whether or not to re-make them for CrazyTalk Animator. I am still investigating CTA and haven't made up my mind. I would love it if those of you who are interested in more characters take a look at my library of characters and send me a message.

If I get enough interest, I would seriously consider creating collections of character packs for CTA.

My current Categories are:
Camelot, Fantasy, Undead, Girls, Angels & Demons, Science & Medicine, Office, Police, Rome & Greece, World Famous, Monsters.

Thanks.

http://www.flashcartoonlibrary.com/
By AverageJoe - 12 Years Ago
I went and took a look, and there is a very nice variety available.  Depending on how meticulous you were in converting them to CTA, I think they'd be great to have available.  But it'd be a fairly large time and effort investment since creating characters in CTA is time consuming and tedious.  For now...

But, yeah, I found quite a few I'd love to have.

By jlittle - 12 Years Ago
Yes, same here.

There were a few I was interested in too.
By MyCartoonLibrary - 11 Years Ago
386 Characters have been uploaded to the City Marketplace and are now available for purchase. It took me an entire year to transfer my library over from Flash to CTA. Check them out if you get the chance.

http://city.reallusion.com/store/FlashCartoonLibrary

By mrcork102 - 11 Years Ago
I realize not everyone is talented in creating their own characters. Why not just hire a kid from High School Art Dept by talking around and pay him a few buck to draw what you want. I'm a newbie to this but I'm also an Artist. I have been morphing Photos and it is totally incredible! I have been working on a 20 minute cartoon that rivals the quality of Iclone 5. This software is so intuitive and there is so much you can do with it. I bought the package with the characters too but no matter how you change them They look like everyone elses. Being able to do cartoons and animate is what this is all about. If you are not artistic in the drawing end but love the animation end find someone to draw you original characters and stop depending on 3rd party companies. Be original. I have spent countless hours reviewing videos by fellow cartoonists here and I am appalled at the level of those who use the factory presets. 99% of CTA videos lack creativity...have terrible storylines..use the preset characters...and most of all lack originality. No passion for the art...no one takes the necessarry time to look at CTA Tutorial videos and I know this to be true because the viewing numbers are low. If you are going to do this you have to take your time and do your homework! It seems like most of the animators for CTA are creating garbage because they are rushing the process to create before learning. When I was shopping for cartoon software because I decided to commit to learning. I looked at hundreds of animation from my fellow animators and not one of them used this software to it's potential to make me want to buy. I watched the Tutorials and realized this software is totally incredible in the hands of a dedicated animator will to take the time to study. I am working on my first animation and when it is finished I will post but the quality is amazing as is the CTA software. I'm a professional Artist that sells paintings all over the world so putting scenes and characters together is not a problem for me. As an animator you have to know your weak spots. Collaborate with others if you are not gifted in certain aspects. If you need a storyline listen to what people are saying in everyday life...lots of great material there. Animate your favorite life story..If you can draw get someone who can...If you love to animate step up your game and start getting serious...there is a ton of Horsepower under the hood of the CTA engine but what the heck good is it if you are using only 4 cylinders and you shut the engine off when you coast downhill!
By AverageJoe - 11 Years Ago
I couldn't disagree more. I've used lots of animation applications, from the very affordable Anime Studio Pro to the very high dollar ToonBoom Animate Pro and in comparison CTA is a toy. Strictly a beginners application. One that tries to make animation easy for everyone by hiding away all the real features that a real animation application should have in it. And to make matters worse, to get these any type of custom characters into the system in an exercise in tediousness and futility. As some who is claiming to be a newbie at it, I am appalled at how quickly you can judge CTA users to be so horrible, or the application to be so awesome without having any real experience with either CTA or any other application.

CTA is good software, and it has a lot of potential but it has a very very long way to go before it can be considered awesome.
By prabhatM - 11 Years Ago
wizaerd (4/17/2013)
I couldn't disagree more. I've used lots of animation applications, from the very affordable Anime Studio Pro to the very high dollar ToonBoom Animate Pro and in comparison CTA is a toy. Strictly a beginners application. One that tries to make animation easy for everyone by hiding away all the real features that a real animation application should have in it. And to make matters worse, to get these any type of custom characters into the system in an exercise in tediousness and futility. As some who is claiming to be a newbie at it, I am appalled at how quickly you can judge CTA users to be so horrible, or the application to be so awesome without having any real experience with either CTA or any other application.

CTA is good software, and it has a lot of potential but it has a very very long way to go before it can be considered awesome.

I am not an CTA user. However, I think it's pretty good for a ver 1. animation software. For a basic story telling, it has enough features. The biggest feature I think is interface with Flash.

Take one character details/template and give to a good flash artist who can draw custom character as per your template and then replace the body parts and you will have your own character ready to fly.

Key is if you are an animator and story teller but not a good enough artist, then hire an artist who can draw the characters for you. A quality character drawing as per the template is all you need.

Ofcourse CTA can make use of Bone and Point animation System, Auto Character Generator, Crowd System and extensive particle system of Anime Studio, but I do not think CTA is that restrictive.

For a guy like me who used Corel draw 2.0 in early ninties to do character animations, a software like CTA could be a life saver any day. There is a lot to be appreciated in both CTA and ICLONE.
By AverageJoe - 11 Years Ago
prabhatM (4/17/2013)
wizaerd (4/17/2013)

I am not an CTA user. However, I think it's pretty good for a ver 1. animation software. For a basic story telling, it has enough features. The biggest feature I think is interface with Flash.

Take one character details/template and give to a good flash artist who can draw custom character as per your template and then replace the body parts and you will have your own character ready to fly.

Key is if you are an animator and story teller but not a good enough artist, then hire an artist who can draw the characters for you. A quality character drawing as per the template is all you need.

Ofcourse CTA can make use of Bone and Point animation System, Auto Character Generator, Crowd System and extensive particle system of Anime Studio, but I do not think CTA is that restrictive.

For a guy like me who used Corel draw 2.0 in early ninties to do character animations, a software like CTA could be a life saver any day. There is a lot to be appreciated in both CTA and ICLONE.

Not restrictive? Here's a simple test. Pull in a character, and at some point in your timeline, flip the character's head so he's looking the opposite way. Oh wait, you can't. Ok so here's another test, keyframe the character's eyes so they're looking where you want them too. Oh wait, you can't. Ok, perhaps this. Open a sprite based character in the character creator, and try to change the character's shirt color to an actual color. Oh wait, you can't. And there is a whole lot more of "oh wait, you can't" type scenarios.

I love how everyone says "just hire an artist and import the new character". First of all, not everyone can afford to hire an artist, for many this is merely a hobby not a profession so they're working solo with no budget, and for anyone who has actually imported a custom character (actual import, no the photo fitting gimmick thing) it's a tedious PITA. Having to reposition and resize every body piece. And importing the facial elements. Heck just saving and exporting each and every piece is an exercise in tediousness.

in Flash or Anime Studio Pro, I can have a fully custom character with little actual work (probably be quite ugly given my lack of graphic talent... lol). Rigged and animatible very quickly. Getting that character into CTA is going to be some mind numbing and overly repetitious click scale position over and over again for each individual piece.

I agree, CTA is good software for a ver 1. Actually, not really true. It's good software for a 0.5 version, but for a full priced version 1, it is lacking in a whole lot of areas.

By prabhatM - 11 Years Ago
wizaerd (4/18/2013)

I love how everyone says "just hire an artist and import the new character". First of all, not everyone can afford to hire an artist, for many this is merely a hobby not a profession so they're working solo with no budget, and for anyone who has actually imported a custom character (actual import, no the photo fitting gimmick thing) it's a tedious PITA.

I saw few Cartoon Solution Characters online. They look pretty good and stylised. That shows a good Character development is doable. I also saw somebody posting more than 300 characters online for CTA.

In last 20-25 years I have seen people getting impatient to "animate". In 3D if they can't animate Objects / Characters properly, then they would move a camera and lo there was an animation !

They are all so eager to show their capability of animation that they forget about the character. After few years of aimless roaming they come back to the basic - Focus on the character.

It takes ONLY ONE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT and you mostly get to know all. But guys just refuse to do that.

Few things you pointed out. I would not know since I am not an CTA user. But my job is to evaluate different softwares and work on a pipeline for an efficient production. So when I look at the feature sets and few demos, I get the hang of a product, its strength and weaknesses and also the missing puzzles. Then I decide whether to buy a product to be integrated in our production or wait for future version.

I have gone through my share of frustrations. So I understand. But my suggestion as always is - "Have patience. The direct solution or an indirect one is mostly under the hood. Discover it and have fun. And instead of playing with features, do a real project. Stick on and try to finish. You will learn. Then decide if the software is for you or not."

This mostly worked for me and my team in all these years.
By theschemer - 11 Years Ago
Hi,
I am new here and new to CTA. Let me know if I missed this but is there a way to "cartoonize" a photo in the software or what is a recommended software that does this well? I love the using of photo's but also like the idea that I could "cartoonize" or make a "caricature" of my photo for added effect. Or does anybody have a tutorial on how I would do this with PSP or any plugins for PSP that might assist?
Thanks,
schemer
By jlittle - 11 Years Ago
CTA itself does not have the ability to draw or create characters from scratch.
You must create the characters in another app and then load them into CTA and assemble.

Check out the many postings on YouTube on how to cartoon a picture using Photoshop.
The same techniques can be applied using almost any photo editor.

Jeff
By theschemer - 11 Years Ago
Hi Jeff,
Ok, that is what I thought. Not a problem but wanted to be sure that is the way to accomplish this task. I had been looking at some cartoonize type software but it didn't offer any more flexibility than an image software other than it was easier to adjust the filters with sliders etc. But the finished results lacked the proper result or at least not to me. Time to use a little elbow grease... Tongue
Thanks,
schemer