NEW Reallusion Statement on CTA Licensing Issue

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic75828.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Peter (RL) - 13 Years Ago
Dear CrazyTalk Animator Users,

Since the launch of the next generation of CrazyTalk, we have been closely monitoring the feedback from our users in order to ensure that this software meets the high standards expected from Reallusion products.  The CrazyTalk series has gained a reputation for being user-friendly and fun to use, and has been adopted by an exceptional number of both novice and veteran animators from across the globe.

Previously, new copies of CrazyTalk Animator were only able to install on a single computer at a time.  Being that this licensing method is standard industry practice, Reallusion decided to adopt it for the release of CrazyTalk Animator.  However after considering our user feedback and participating in internal discussions, we understand sometimes single users might need to use the software in more than one computer for varying purposes. Reallusion would like to make things easier for users, so a slight adjustment to this current software restriction is in order.

Therefore for the convenience of our users, we have decided to allow for up to TWO simultaneous installs on separate computers.  This means that you may install one copy of CrazyTalk Animator on two separate computers without issue. 

We would like to reinforce that this does not constitute a change in the original CrazyTalk policy outlined in the EULA.  The policy remains a “single-user license”, as in use on more than one computer will require an additional license. 

If users would like to purchase an additional permanent license, they may do so at a 10% discount by utilizing the available options in the shopping cart or premium page.  If users need a larger amount of licenses, they may purchase a volume license from this page: http://www.reallusion.com/purchase_licensing.asp

Users who require multiple licenses in order to exchange content for shared projects etc. can get a workgroup license here: http://www.reallusion.com/volumelicense/workgroup/default.asp

Best Regards

Reallusion, Inc.

27th January 2010

By bluemidget666 - 13 Years Ago
I take my hat off to you RL...
By yaRincewind - 13 Years Ago
These are truly great news Smile

My congratulations for RL. I hope in iClone 5 it will be the same...
By duchess110 - 13 Years Ago
This is wonderful news for a lot of users. Most Company's would just have said tuff thats the rules like it or leave it.

At least Reallusion take the trouble to listen to its customers needs and requests and amend the rules accordingly.

Unlike Autodesk with whom I am doing battle at the moment trying to get an older version of max 2009 reactivated its answer is pay another years subscriptions £450 for the privilage or you will have to stick with the 2010 version last registered.

So well done Reallusion for listening and helping your customers.

By m1ke - 13 Years Ago
Peter - many thanks indeed to you and RL for not only listening, but acting.  And sooner rather than later

Not sure how it will work yet (de-activation on one machine and re-activation on the other?), but it is truly appreciated certainly by me, and I'm sure by all those who work on two separate PCs - one at a time!

I don't think anyone could ask for more.  I sincerely hope RL now reap the benefits of their decision with an increase in support.

By InfoCentral - 13 Years Ago
duchess110 (1/27/2011)
This is wonderful news for a lot of users.MostCompany's would just have said tuff thats the rules like it or leave it.

That's pretty much what they have been saying. I'm glad they finally changed their minds!
By qdai - 13 Years Ago
m1KE (1/27/2011)
I don't think anyone could ask for more. I sincerely hope RL now reap the benefits of their decision with an increase in support.

Mike

So well done Reallusion for listening and helping your customers.

My applause, thank you and kind regards are added to those above. Companies that are responsive to the needs of their customers earn loyalty and continued patronage. Proving they are one of those companies, I hope RL experiences the bounty of their customers' gratitude.

However (I know, I know...but, there is a however), if the requirement to be online during install and the 5 install/uninstall limit is still in place, there is still a fly in the ointment.

Being online during any installation is a security risk. The problem: you can scan install files for viruses before installation and then install; but, if installation requires an internet connection - then, files NOT scanned can be downloaded and installed without the installer's knowledge. Now, if you can install first, and then go online later to activate, then there is no problem. The opposition is only to having to be online while the program installs.

Lastly, a 5 install/uninstall limit is taking the software industry standard of a perpetual license and turning it into a temporary license. You might as well install a termination/self destruct switch. Can't speak for others but I'm not interested in temporary software unless it is time sensitive and has value added like a subscription to daily/hourly updates for firewall/virus protection.
By Darren01 - 13 Years Ago
thanks RL for listening to our feedback
Whilst I don't own a copy of CT5, I do suspect this license condition will apply to the next iClone release which did have me worried.

2 simultaneous installs is very fair, much appreciated

thanks guys Smile
By animagic - 13 Years Ago
As I have been among the past complainers, I would like to thank RL for this change of heart.

@gdai - a lot of creative and other software I'm using requires an internet connection for activation, so RL is not exceptional in this regard. Life is risky...

As to the five times install and uninstall, unless this is different from current iClone practice I always understood this to mean that you use one install when you install (obvious...), but that you get credited one install when you uninstall AND are connected to the internet, making this still perpetual. Maybe somebody can confirm this.

By qdai - 13 Years Ago
animagic (1/28/2011)
...@gdai - a lot of creative and other software I'm using requires an internet connection for activation, so RL is not exceptional in this regard. Life is risky...

I explained that the problem was not with online activation. Installation is a different process than activation. You can install a program offline and then go online later to activate. The problem is if you are required to be online to install not to activate.

animagic (1/28/2011)
...As to the five times install and uninstall, unless this is different from current iClone practice I always understood this to mean that you use one install when you install (obvious...), but that you get credited one install when you uninstall AND are connected to the internet, making this still perpetual. Maybe somebody can confirm this.

I did not understand it this way. I understood it to mean that you have 5 installs and 5 uninstalls, period. Perhaps you are right. Maybe RL can clarify.
You are allowed to install on two computers. So if you wish at some point to add CTA to another (3rd) computer it will require uninstalling/deactivating from one of the original two first.

You will be allowed to do this five times in total. As always make sure you are connected to the Internet when uninstalling CTA from a computer so you get the install credit back.

Hope this clears up any confusion. Smile

By qdai - 13 Years Ago
Will significant computer hardware upgrades (hard drive, processor, graphics card processor gpu) break the install? Or rather, should your software be uninstalled before hardware upgrades to the same computer? If so, what specific upgrades require uninstalling RL's software?

This is why I say that RL's 5 install/uninstall policy makes the software license temporary. If in January, I upgrade the processors on two computers that I have RL software on, that may use up 2 install/uninstalls. Then in June of the next year, if I upgrade/transfer to larger hard drives in the same computers, that may use up another 2 install/uninstalls. That leaves just one install/uninstall. After that, what?

Does upgrading RL's software reset your install/uninstall limits ( to 5 or higher)? For example, if I have 3 install/uninstalls left and RL comes out with version 10 of one of your applications... if I upgrade to version 10 from version 9, is my install/uninstall limit reset to 5. If so, this turns a perpetual license into a subscription license. If not, you're back to the temporary license.

I've been with some software for 7 years or longer. If Poser, for instance, had a 5 install/uninstall limit, I'd have reached it years ago.

Also, are you required to be online just to activate/deactivate the software. Or, must you be online to install, activate and deactivate the software?
qdai (1/28/2011)
Will significant computer hardware upgrades (hard drive, processor, graphics card processor gpu) break the install? Or rather, should your software be uninstalled before hardware upgrades to the same computer? If so, what specific upgrades require uninstalling RL's software?

It is only major upgrades that will affect your install count. This is normally a fresh install of the operating system or a hard drive format. If you plan of doing anything like that you should uninstall all Reallusion software first while connected to the Internet. This will credit back your install.

This is why I say that RL's 5 install/uninstall policy makes the software license temporary. If in January, I upgrade the processors on two computers that I have RL software on, that may use up 2 install/uninstalls. Then in June of the next year, if I upgrade/transfer to larger hard drives in the same computers, that may use up another 2 install/uninstalls. That leaves just one install/uninstall. After that, what?

If you change your hard drive and remove the old one then obviously you should uninstall any Reallusion software first to prevent losing your install credits. If you change things like processors, graphics cards or memory chips then that will not impact on the software that is installed.

Does upgrading RL's software reset your install/uninstall limits ( to 5 or higher)? For example, if I have 3 install/uninstalls left and RL comes out with version 10 of one of your applications... if I upgrade to version 10 from version 9, is my install/uninstall limit reset to 5. If so, this turns a perpetual license into a subscription license. If not, you're back to the temporary license.

I've been with some software for 7 years or longer. If Poser, for instance, had a 5 install/uninstall limit, I'd have reached it years ago.

Minor updates to the software does not affect your install count. When a major new version of a title is released you have a brand new serial number and license so you start off with a full install count.

It is important to remember that as long as you uninstall your software while connected to the Internet you will be given your install credit back. It is only times when uninstalling is impossible, like after an hard drive failure that you will use up one of the 5 install credits. As hard drive failures are not a regular occurence you would expect to go many years before using up your 5 installs. Even then contacting Reallusion Support will enable you to have your install count reset.

It really isn't the terrible situation you may think it is. Smile

By animagic - 13 Years Ago
That was how I understood it, but Peter further clarified it. I have been with RL for a while and never run into the limit.
By lizard3209 - 13 Years Ago
I'll agree that this statement moves in the right direction and that some compromises have been made. To that, I give Reallusion a thumbs up for listening to forum feedback. Still, for myself personally, I have had problems with my PC in the more recent months where I did not get the opportunity of an uninstall. I suppose I should feel happy that I am still able to use the software I have. But this limited installs and uninstalls I do not care for. I think there still could be a better way to control the use of the software without having adding complications and hassles to its customers.

I work closely with another software company that has employed the use of a system called Codemeter where a simple USB device containing the code exists as a key. A dongle if you will. Where the user does not choose to use the dongle, then internet verification is required where only the single license can be logged on at one time. Yet, I can install this software on 50 computers if I like. Only two can work at any time: the dongle and a internet connection.

However, I fully understand this is as far as RL will go and the fact that they at least budged says something. This EULA still leaves me with bitter thoughts and hope I don't end up a victim of its shortcomings. Until that time, I will continue to enjoy the quality products that I have purchased. I hope this affects as little of the consumers as possible and that good feelings are maintained all around. All the best.
By ESRO2 - 13 Years Ago
AWESOME!! Thank you very much!!
By deenice - 13 Years Ago
This is Fantastic News - for a little time felt between a rock and a hard place. Thank you so much RL for being customer service driven - it speaks a lot about you. Now I can finally get my CTA work done on my laptop.

Deenice, the Digital Dynamo
By schwabby - 13 Years Ago
Thank you! As a Grad Student with an editing suite at home and a campus that is all MAC, I so appreciate your decision to allow the program to be installed on two computers. No worries now! I am a new CTA user but see great potential! Especially if I don't have to go into programs like after effects and 3DS Max to accomplish what I can in CTA so much easier.
Thank you again for understanding the real world!
By spacetimeaces - 11 Years Ago
OK so if I want to install this on my desktop and laptop (which i travel around with), then i can do so providing I don't have the program running on both at the same time? If so, how would you even know i was doing that?

I'm assuming that you are allowed to activate the software via a serial number twice before you would need to deactivate on one machine in order to install on a third?
I work from two locations and would not be overjoyed if i had to buy a license (how much is are they by the way? ..cant find any info on site) for each location.

I find the EULA agreements a tad confusing, so an explanation for dummies would be great.
By Peter (RL) - 11 Years Ago
spacetimeaces (3/26/2013)
OK so if I want to install this on my desktop and laptop (which i travel around with), then i can do so providing I don't have the program running on both at the same time? If so, how would you even know i was doing that?

I'm assuming that you are allowed to activate the software via a serial number twice before you would need to deactivate on one machine in order to install on a third?
I work from two locations and would not be overjoyed if i had to buy a license (how much is are they by the way? ..cant find any info on site) for each location.

I find the EULA agreements a tad confusing, so an explanation for dummies would be great.

Your understanding is totally correct. Your license remains a single user license, but for the convenience of our customers we do allow installation on two different computers. You can then manage your activations/deactivations from your Member Account should you need to change computers.

If you require multiple licenses then you can find out about pricing from the link below.

http://www.reallusion.com/purchase_licensing.asp

By michael_shannon - 9 Years Ago
I'm new to the software and was pleasantly surprised to see this.
My question might be a bit different: can you use the license on two separate platforms at the same time as long as it's still following the license agreement from the one user perspective? I work with PC while at the office and a Mac at home. I'd like to be able to work seamlessly from one platform to the other. Does this work? 
By Peter (RL) - 9 Years Ago
michael_shannon (7/27/2015)
I'm new to the software and was pleasantly surprised to see this.
My question might be a bit different: can you use the license on two separate platforms at the same time as long as it's still following the license agreement from the one user perspective? I work with PC while at the office and a Mac at home. I'd like to be able to work seamlessly from one platform to the other. Does this work? 

With a single license you may have CrazyTalk Animator 2 installed on a work computer and home computer but they must NOT be in use at the same time.

However the Mac and Windows versions are treated as separate products. This means you will need to purchase a separate license for both the Windows and Mac versions. In this situation you can have both in use at the same time because you will have two licenses.

I hope this helps explain the situation.