can't save prop animation as a motion clip

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic73141.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By gordoTalk - 14 Years Ago
Motion clips work for a character:
I am able to animate a character, select a range of keys in the collect group row, and export as a motion clip. I can re-apply the motion clip at another point in the timeline, and it works.

Motion clips aren't working for a prop attached to a character:
I am able to animate a prop, and it works. I can save the project and the animation of the prop saves and restores correctly. However, saving a motion clip for a prop is not working. It seems to work, without an error message. However, only the first key in the selected range is restored.

The interface seems to work the same for a character as for a prop, it is just a different row in the Timeline.

Can anyone confirm that prop animation can be saved in motion clips?
or
Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I might be missing / doing wrong?
By Peter (RL) - 14 Years Ago
The Collect Clip function for Props differs from characters. With Props this function is used to collect sprite animation rather than transform animation. You can see how to use the Collect Clip function for Props HERE.

If you have created animations for a prop then you can simply save the prop in your custom folder and the animation data will be retained.

Thanks for the online help reference, but I had been referring to that page and am still
confused the clip creation.

Is there a limit to which types of keys are saved when Collect Clip is used above
keys for a character?

It seems that "Transform" keys are ignored.
While "Body_Transform" keys are saved and restored.

gordoTalk (12/28/2010)

Hi..

When you use Collect Clip for Props, the Sprite Transform and Sprite Switch Animations are saved and can be re-used on another prop as long as the sprite number is the same between the two props.

For movement transform keys you can save the Prop itself and the transform keys will be saved with it making it a ready to use animated prop in any scene.

Peter (RL) (12/29/2010)
gordoTalk (12/28/2010)

Hi..

When you use Collect Clip for Props, the Sprite Transform and Sprite Switch Animations are saved and can be re-used on another prop as long as the sprite number is the same between the two props.

For movement transform keys you can save the Prop itself and the transformkeys will be saved with it making it a ready to use animated prop in any scene.

Does that mean that Transform keys are not saved in motion clips? Are there any other keys which aren't saved?

What about with Charactors?
gordoTalk (12/29/2010)
Does that mean that Transform keys are not saved in motion clips? Are there any other keys which aren't saved?

What about with Charactors?

For characters the following is saved:

• Export Motion: Merge and export all the keys and clips in the Sub-tracks (under the Body Motion main track) within the range as a *.ctMotion file.
  • Export FCS: Merge and export all the keys and clips in the Sub-tracks (under the Facial main track) within the range as a *.ctFcs file.
  • Export Perform: Merge and export all the keys and clips in the Sub-tracks (under the Facial and Body Motion main tracks) within the range as a *.ctPerform file.
  • I think the confusion is caused because of the different types of transform keys. For example character Motion Clips will save the Body Transform and Body Sprite keys. Body Transform keys are not the same as movement transform keys which are not saved. 

By vepop - 13 Years Ago
    I have a problem using the motion clip that has been saved.
    The problem is the 'head' of the character grow bigger until it reaches the motion clip.
    It will then return to the 'normal' size.
    Any solution?
    By vepop - 13 Years Ago
    Thank God, I managed to solve it by using the 'absolute key'.
    By idreamofjeani - 12 Years Ago
    This is super confusing. I wonder why Reallusion has chosen such confusing and non-standard terminology. The timeline is also very precarious and unintuitive in general.

I'd like to loop a prop's animation on the timeline, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how, since apparently the technique of exporting and reimporting as a clip is not possible since the motion I've keyframed doesn't get exported.

I'm beyond confused and frustrated. Sad

How do you quickly loop/change speed on the motion of a prop across a long scene????????? For instance, oars on a boat.
    By vidi - 12 Years Ago
    I'd like to loop a prop's animation on the timeline

it is total easy to do with CTA . You can your key animation store as actionClip in your prop. you can call this with the actionmenue and you get a clip on timline . You can this clip looping and streching on the timline .
    By jlittle - 12 Years Ago
    To create a motion clip for a prop, or to export a motion, you must use the Motion T track for the prop, NOT the Transform track.
    What that means is that that you should double click the Motion T track for the prop, then set the position using the transform box, or by moving the prop, at the various points on the time line you want. When you do this you will notice that there are keys set in the Motion T track but not the Transform track.
    Once you have the keys set for your movement in the Motion T track then:

1) use the props Collect Clip track to highlight the portion you want to capture, then right click the collect track and export the motion. Once exported you can either
    a) right click the prop Collect Clip track at the point you want and import or
    b) use the Action Editor to add the motion to the prop's Action menu.

2) Highlight the portion of the Motion T track, using the Motion Track, that you want to capture, right click and Group. Once grouped you can copy and paste the motion clip.

Once you have the motion clip on the time line you can then compress or stretch it to speed it up or down as needed.

Jeff
    By vidi - 12 Years Ago
    Her is a video that
    describes what I mean

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48415327/loop/loop.html
    By Tarampa Studios - 6 Years Ago
    jlittle (7/15/2012)
    To create a motion clip for a prop, or to export a motion, you must use the Motion T track for the prop, NOT the Transform track.
    What that means is that that you should double click the Motion T track for the prop, then set the position using the transform box, or by moving the prop, at the various points on the time line you want. When you do this you will notice that there are keys set in the Motion T track but not the Transform track.
    Once you have the keys set for your movement in the Motion T track then:

1) use the props Collect Clip track to highlight the portion you want to capture, then right click the collect track and export the motion. Once exported you can either
    a) right click the prop Collect Clip track at the point you want and import or
    b) use the Action Editor to add the motion to the prop's Action menu.

2) Highlight the portion of the Motion T track, using the Motion Track, that you want to capture, right click and Group. Once grouped you can copy and paste the motion clip.

Once you have the motion clip on the time line you can then compress or stretch it to speed it up or down as needed.

Jeff

Ok, I know this is an old topic, but I'm having the same problem with CTA3, and even with this very well explained advice, I still can't get the action mention to work properly. 
    I've watched all the videos, and I *THINK* I'm doing everything right, although the UI is no longer the same as any tutorials. 

So far, the only way I can get an exported clip to work is if I IMPORT it each time I need it, then it does load the correct motion onto the timeline. 
    But I want to save a prop to my library in order to sell it with an action menu... and this is not working if I:
    a) Collect the clip from the Prop-T Track
    b) Collect the clip from all tracks
    c) Collect the clip from BOTH Transform and prop-T animated tracks

And do we still need to start with an "Absolute" keyframe. Because I can't find that anywhere. 
    I can find a "Zero" key in the animation menu, but that just takes the dang thing back to origin with no resizing or position data - and that ruins the first frame of the animation. 
    So do I have to do that anyway, and then just collect the clip for everything except the first frame..? 

Is there still a "group" function anywhere? I don't think it will help me save a motion in an action menu, but it might come in handy for other things if I can find where it went. 

& Does anybody know of any tutorials that use the modern CTA3 UI and follow every step without skipping or editing out any motions of the mouse on the screen please..? 

I''ve also tried to search the manual, but when I enter "Action Menu" there are no mentions of it in the whole manual. Bizarre and very frustrating. 
    I've also tried using the instructions for saving action menu's for characters, but the process seems to be slightly different.

No matter what I try, I still can't get any prop to replay any motions that I save, add or import to the action menu.  

Imagine a house prop with 2 windows and/or 1 door opening from an action menu - and that's the kind of simple motions, I'm trying to achieve here. 
    At least I thought they'd be simple. 

Do I need to collect motions for every permutation of the door open with no windows open, 1 window open, 2 windows open, and then door closed with no windows open, 1 window open & 2 windows open..?
    Or can we treat the windows separately somehow..?  

This is getting so confusing, I can't tell if there's a glitch with CTA3, or me... I'm hoping it's just me that's overlooking something simple. 

So any advice greatly appreciated. 

By Tarampa Studios - 6 Years Ago
    vidi (7/15/2012)
    Her is a video that
    describes what I mean

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48415327/loop/loop.html

@Vidi Do you still have a working tutorial about this? I know it's an old topic, but I just can't get the hang of this. 
    See my previous comment below. I am collecting and exporting from the Prop-T track, and it *seems* like it is saving, but the prop will not perform from the action menu. I need to import the motion before it will work. 
    But it's the action menu that I need to learn.