.DDS File Format Support

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic68608.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By davidjosue007 - 14 Years Ago
.DDS File Format Support will be a good improvement.
Thanks!
By Cricky - 14 Years Ago
davidjosue007 (11/19/2010)
.DDS File Format Support will be a good improvement.
Thanks!

David,

You can convert the DDS texture files using the Photoshop Plug-in from NVIDIA, if you have Photoshop and an Nvidia card of course.
By Pochontas - 12 Years Ago
Well yeah but then what? There are other programs to convert .dds to .jpg, .png or what ever, like me I converted it with DDS Converter 2.1 but I still can't open it in 3dxchange. I can only open models that have .dds textures in 3d Max but no matter in which format I save it I can't get textures in 3dxchange. If I save it as .3ds and open it in 3dxchange I just get message that it can't find bunch of .dds files. During .obj import don't get any messages just blank 3d model and during opening of .fbx model I get pop-up message: "You can access the FBX embedded texture files at the source path for further resizing or editing." - What ever that means.
I mean why can't Reallusion just make support for .dds or is there another way I can export it from 3DMax so that it makes .jpg textures that 3dxchange supports?
By wendyluvscatz - 12 Years Ago
you can use irfanview too to convert to jpg and find and replace all. dds with .jpg in the mtl file
my GTA San Andreas 3d ripper dx obj worked in 3dx5 &iClone after I resaved the obj from another program (Daz studio in my case) as one mesh and replaced that mtl file with the modifed old one
the original had 900+ seperate draw call objects and the mtl file would not apply the textures to them anyway unless it was one obj.
and since for some odd reason I cannot edit my post
I forgot to add I edited the mtl with plain old notepad
it will find and replace all .dds with .jpg in one click!

hey, just realized this thread is 2 years old! w00t
wendyluvscatz (9/7/2012)
and since for some odd reason I cannot edit my post
I forgot to add I edited the mtl with plain old notepad
it will find and replace all .dds with .jpg in one click!

hey, just realized this thread is 2 years old! w00t

Thank you!

Just one problem. It's irritating but it has a lot of objects and some of them don't look as whole in 3dxchange. For instance some cubical objects look like they're just an upside "L" but when I rotate them then all of a sudden sides that didn't seem to be there suddenly appear and sides that were visible dissapear. Does anyone know what to do to see them all?
you need to tick the box that says two sided
for each mesh
pity one cannot do this on all meshes at once without using affect all materials and selecting all which is no good if different colours used.
(one thing 3dx2 DID do!)
Yeah funny you mention it because I recently ripped what it seems to be a huge file. I usually open .3dr in 3dsMAX (because .obj files made by 3Dripper seem to be messed up) and this one I can't open because during the opening process I get "not enough memory" message. What kind of memory is it talking about? And what can I do to open it?
By colour - 12 Years Ago
Pochontas (9/13/2012)
Yeah funny you mention it because I recently ripped what it seems to be a huge file. I usually open .3dr in 3dsMAX (because .obj files made by 3Dripper seem to be messed up) and this one I can't open because during the opening process I get "not enough memory" message. What kind of memory is it talking about? And what can I do to open it?

Your PC's RAM (Random Access Mermory).

Right-Click on your PC's Desktop Taskbar. Select Task Manager in pop-up. Select Processes Tab. Check the Total % of RAM usage (Bottom left). Also check Memory usage for iClone /3DXchange?

Programs on a 32 Bit OS access upto 2GBs RAM. 64 Bit; upto 4Gb RAM, depending upon the Total RAM Installed & how many other Programs you have Running.

If iClone / 3DXchange? are approaching their Total RAM limit & your Imported Object goes over that limit, you'll run-out-of RAM.

That being said, your PC can grab additional Virtual Memory from the HDD, which is very slow. That's why more RAM is better than less.

That's a simple explanation, but there are exceptions.

Anyone-else?

OK, my specs are: Win 32 bit

2,00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. G31M-ES2L

ATI Radeon HD 5600 Series
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

HDD is 1TB + 250 GB

RAM
3072 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'A0' has 2048 MB
Slot 'A1' has 1024 MB

I also watched CPU percentage during the run of Iclone and it usually doesn't climb over 10% but if I put some character that moves then it goes up to something like 22%

I also watched CPU during the opening of .3dr file in 3dsMAX and it doesn't go higher then 50% even when it comes to the point when it says that application doesn't have enough memory (it usually loads 66% of the file when that happens). I also monitored Commit Charge and it climbs while he's trying to load it up to 2313/4445M when it crashes.
By colour - 12 Years Ago
It's the % of Total Memory you should be looking at (See my Screenshot), not % of CPU usage, together with the iClone Kb usage (See my Screenshot) & the number of Running Processes.

From my Screenshot, you'll see that my Total Memory usage is 37% with 44 Running Processes.

I have 6GB RAM.  iClone is taking-up approximately 1GB of that. So I have plenty of spare RAM capacity.

I have a 64Bit OS, & since iClone will access upto 4GB RAM with a 64Bit OS, I could in theory Import a number od additional Objects into my Project.

If you have a 32Bit OS, iClone will access upto 2GB RAM. If I Opened my Project in iClone 32Bit Version, I would still have 1GB spare RAM.

If iClone is stating that you have insufficient RAM, you could end some non-essential Running Processes, to Free-up additional RAM. There's a Free Download Program; Enditall, that will automatically do that for you (But you would use it at your own risk). I don't have it, because I don't need it, with the System in my signature. Those with a marginal System, do.(IMO, your System is marginal, especially the CPU & amount of RAM, which "Could" be the cause of your problem).

The above is a brief description of the processes involved.

I'm afraid I can't give you  precise instructions re; hoew to Fix your particular Problem. Reallusion's Forum Rep; Peter Edwards might. Send him a PM, referring your Thread.

Good luck Smile

Anyone-else? 

hmm how come every time I import a mesh with a tree the tree doesn't make it (it looks like a green mist) so I have to remove it from 3dxchange. Is there perhaps some trick I could do to have those trees?
is 2 sided checked in materials?
also look at the opacity map or if it uses a png
I found converting dds to png with transparancy rather dodgey using irfanview
a seperate alpha/opacity map works better.
I use DDS converter 2 for converting .dds to .jpg.

But do you also get sometimes meshes bent? Like the Leaning Tower of Pisa?

I usually try to re-strech it in x,y,z scale and sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't.