Cartoon Animator MASKING of two objects on the stage

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic525473.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By toonmanbill - 2 Years Ago
Question:

If I have two items on the stage, let's say a CIRCLE and an ANIMATED PROP, and I want the animated prop to be inside the circle without leaking out, how do I set up a MASK to keep the animated prop inside the circle?

Thank you!
By vepop - 2 Years Ago
Show us the video and highlight the problem. 
It will make us understand better of your problem.
vepop (10/15/2022)

Hi vepop,
Thanks for posting here.

This is an example of what I mean.  Masking an animation INSIDE a shape.
FILE: sample.zip,  The video is an example of what I am getting in Cartoon Animator.  The image is how I want it to be.  Staying INSIDE THE SHAPE.
Like applying some kind of a MASK to keep it inside.  Is this possible in Cartoon Animator?

Thank you!
By vepop - 2 Years Ago
Try doing it in layers.
Foreground: the cloud black outline (without the white color) + foreground color  
In-Between: the rainbow
Background: white background
vepop (10/15/2022)
Try doing it in layers.
Foreground: the cloud black outline (without the white color) + foreground color  
In-Between: the rainbow
Background: white background

So there is no way to do masking in CA4?

I did try layers, but it sill leaks thru. Looks like CA4 is not capable of handling masks on the timeline. It may need to be done in postproduction with a video editor.

Thanks
vepop (10/15/2022)

Hi vepop and fellow cartoon animator users,

This video animation I did in Moho may show what I am trying to do in CA4 a little better.  

Even though I am new to using Moho, it took me a minute to do this in the Moho software. I took an ANIMATED RAIN PROP and a CIRCLE SHAPE.  
The RAIN animation was much bigger than the circle ( it leaked out of the circle ), but all I had to do is MASK the layers so that the rain stays inside the circle shape.  
As you can see on the attached video, the animation of the rain is working well and is staying inside the circle shape.

I tried many ways to try and do this in Cartoon Animator, but no luck.  It's a very simple process.  I must be missing something in my steps in Cartoon Animator, or Cartoon Animator is simply not capable of this.  Any ideas?

Thanks

By vepop - 2 Years Ago
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e356ae5e-0bd2-479d-b8a0-fe07.gif
vepop (10/18/2022)
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e356ae5e-0bd2-479d-b8a0-fe07.gif

vepop, perfect.  That's exactly what I am trying to do.  I did you accomplish this?  Also, I notice a white line between the circle and the animation.  Did you mean to have that white line?  Thanks!
By vepop - 2 Years Ago
I did it in layers.
It was done in a hurry. BigGrin

vepop (10/18/2022)
I did it in layers.
It was done in a hurry. BigGrin

Can you post a screenshot of your layers to see how you did it?  I tried layers, but it looks like I am missing something. I have not been able to get it to work.  Thanks!
By vepop - 2 Years Ago
Make a white layer with a circle on it.
Delete the inside of the circle leaving the black line intact.
Use this layer as the front layer.
Place the layer with the animated rain behind this front layer.  Smile
vepop (10/18/2022)
Make a white layer with a circle on it.
Delete the inside of the circle leaving the black line intact.
Use this layer as the front layer.
Place the layer with the animated rain behind this front layer.  Smile

Nice idea.  Thanks for trying to help me with this and for experimenting with this.

The way you did it, I can see that the white layer is masking the animation layer so that you only see a portion inside the shape. But it works if I am only using the shape with the animation inside and nothing else on stage.  
If I have anything else on the stage it gets covered by the white layer.

The idea is to have a Scene.  Then, on top of the that scene, to have a shape with an animation in it.  Also to be able to move the shape with the animation in it anywhere on the stage without covering everything else.

In Moho, the mask layers don't cover anything else and I can move it around on the stage.  The layer with the mask is independent from anything else and I don't need a white layer and a hole in the shape to do this  effect.   I am trying to recreate this in CA4. 

But you have the right idea.  For just the shape and the animation inside the shape only, I would use your technique if I didn’t need anything else on the stage.

Maybe I am still missing something or CA4 can't do this?

Thanks again!

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/38aafbc4-a79f-420e-8991-ad7a.gif

Hi vepop,
Here is what it looks like in Moho.  I can move the masked layer ( shape ) with the animation anywhere and it doesn't cover the background images.

Cheers!
By vepop - 2 Years Ago
Anything else on stage has to be on top of the white layer.
If the white layer is wall of a house with windows, delete the part of the windows to expose the rain layer.
Furnitures etc .. have to be in front of the wall layer. 
This is just an example.
vepop (10/19/2022)
Anything else on stage has to be on top of the white layer.
If the white layer is wall of a house with windows, delete the part of the windows to expose the rain layer.
Furnitures etc .. have to be in front of the wall layer. 
This is just an example.

And it is a good example.
I'll play around with it some more.  It seems like a lot of work in CA4 just to accomplish this.  I guess I am spoiled with the way I can do it in Moho so quickly.  LOL
Thanks for your postings.  Have a great day!