Crazy Talk 8 crashes

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic487497.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By annetteswhimsies - 3 Years Ago
I upgraded my Crazy Talk and can not create a character. It crashes every time I get to setting up the facial animation. 
Support has failed in assisting - keeps telling me to purchase a Windows program. Not happening.  What can be done to solve this issue - I have a Max OS Big Sur 11.1 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB. They also told me to use an older computer. 
After supporting Crazy Talk since it's beginning is Reallusion, I am more than frustrated with the complete lack of support to correct this issue. 
Suggestions?
By Peter (RL) - 3 Years Ago
Hi Annette

Sorry to hear you are having these problems.

You mention upgrading CrazyTalk before the crashing started. Does this mean CrazyTalk worked fine previously on the same computer?

If so, I would advise uninstalling CrazyTalk and reinstall the latest full version. This might help resolve the problem.

Sadly though CrazyTalk is now a legacy product and no longer receiving any further updates. This means that as Apple update their OS this will likely cause stability issues with CrazyTalk that won't be fixed. I personally have many favourite old programs that no longer run on modern operating systems (Windows). This means I faced two choices one was to abandon the older software or as in my case I kept an older computer running so that I could continue to use the software. Sadly its a decision we all run into at one time or another.

Please Note: If you have only recently purchased CrazyTalk 8 then you can request a full refund for it. Just make sure you make the request within 14 days after purchase. Smile
By annetteswhimsies - 3 Years Ago
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been using older versions of Crazy talk on a now 13 year old MacPro. I bought  new Mac Pro last year because my old computer can no longer get OS updates so I can only use programs downloaded on it.  I upgraded to the Crazy Talk 8 for use on my new computer in May but I guess the new update for my OS now makes CrazyTalk not work. 
I attempted to work with Reallusion support and got no where toward a solution.
hoping someone may have insight on how I can continue to offer this animation for my clients...
By Peter (RL) - 3 Years Ago
Thanks for explaining more.

Unfortunately I'm a Windows user so can't really offer advice with the Mac version.

Were you previously using CrazyTalk 7 before upgrading to CrazyTalk 8? If so have you tried installing CrazyTalk 7 on the new Mac to see if that still works?

The main change in CrazyTalk 8 was the introduction of 3D Heads. The 2D Head creation features are exactly the same as CrazyTalk 7. So if you primarily work with 2D heads then you could continue to use CrazyTalk 7 if it will work on the new computer. Obviously it's not ideal but it would allow you to continue working with CrazyTalk.