What do I need besides the Rokoko Gloves?

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic480867.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Kelleytoons - 3 Years Ago
So I see the banner today for the Rokoko Motion Plugin for their gloves - somehow I missed these when they first came out (maybe there wasn't a Motion Live plugin for them last year?).  Anyway, I'm just a *bit* confused -- is the Rokoko plugin for the gloves (currently $199) and Motion Live (which I already have, along with a ton of plugins like Live Face, Leap, and Perception Neuron for it) and the gloves all that is needed?  It's a bit confusing because the link for the plugin also seems to indicate you need the Rokoko body suit plugin (which I won't get, of course -- since I'm not getting the bodysuit).

So -- just to be clear: total of what I need that I don't have is the Glove Plugin and the gloves?  Or do I need something else?  Pete -- jump in here to clarify so I don't end up going down this road and spending too much (or not enough).
By michaelrbarton - 3 Years Ago
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/64303d43-7667-4bcf-9495-199f.jpg
Yeah, not what I'm asking.

I know I need the hardware, but what I need to know is EXACTLY the software I need to use them in iClone.  The iClone page is a bit misleading -- it talks about the Rokoko glove plugin, but if you follow that rabbit hole it ALSO talks about needing the suit plugin.  I just want to be sure that I only need the gloves and the (currently) $200 plugin for Motion Live.
By Peter (RL) - 3 Years Ago
Hi Mike

Software wise for the Smart Gloves all you need to purchase is the Rokoko Hand Mocap Profile ($199) if you already have Motion LIVE 3D.

Note: For those who have already purchased the Rokoko Smartsuit Gear Profile you don't need to also purchase the Smart Gloves Profile as it is included.
Thanks, Peter.

Your last sentence kind of explains the confusion on the plugin page, which says something to the effect that you need to have a certain version of the Rokoko suit plugin for this to work (hence my wondering if that was also needed).  Sales *might* want to reword or at least elaborate on that paragraph to clear up the kind of misunderstanding I had.

(Now if I could only figure out my glove size -- their instructions are kind of misleading and while I always take a large in any other glove the measurements I'm making indicate a medium.  Sigh).
Okay, now I want to complain (and I want my money back).

It took this long for the gloves to arrive, but I bought the plugin weeks ago (because I wanted to take advantage of the special price).  Now I find there IS more software you need besides Motion Live - you need the Rokoko Studio and NOT the free version but the one you have to pay at least $20 per month for.

Pete - either you were ignorant or were misleading but iClone owes me the money for the plugin because I am NOT going to pay $20 per month just to run these gloves (Note folks, that you CAN still use the gloves with the free version of Studio, but just not connect to iClone with them.  So you'll have to export the FBX and import it into iClone.  NOT AT ALL THE SAME as Peter implies (or downright states).

RL had both damn well give me my money back AND state this clearly so others don't make the same mistake.
Hi Mike

Your original question was which iClone software and plug-ins were required to use the Smart Gloves and I explained what was required on the Reallusion side.

Sadly the the requirements on the Rokoko side are out of our control but they are explained on the Rokoko page and we even post a reminder about this on our Rokoko product page below.

However, if you want a refund then please contact Customer Support using the form HERE. They will be able to advise you on your eligibility for a refund.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/393e3caf-0aed-4754-887e-08d8.jpg

Unfortunately, that "reminder" does not state the facts - indeed, it hides them.

It implies that ONLY if you "upgrade" to version 1.19 of the software will you have to somehow "deal with some possible pricing schemes".  In my world this whole paragraph is known as "weasel words".  The real words should be written as follows: "In Order to use the Rokoko Gloves plugin software (released by the time 1.19 was the ONLY version possible) you will need a monthly subscription to the Rokoko software.  You can find more details on how much this costs HERE".  

THAT is an honest explanation.  You don't have that because you know damn well no one would buy the plugin (not anyone who uses iClone, that is).  Until and unless that is clarified RL is purposefully being deceitful.
I can understand the frustration at finding more costs are involved, but I don't think it's being deceitful because the wording is different Mike. The notification on our Rokoko Product Page makes it known additional costs are required because it directs you to the Rokoko Pricing Plans.

As someone who has not used the Rokoko devices, I personally have no experience of this, but having a quick look it appears that while the Rokoko Studio software is free, using any of the live streaming plug-ins requires a payment plan so this isn't anything specific to Reallusion. This is the pricing structure Rokoko have also setup for Unreal, Blender, Cinema 4D, Maya, and so on. 
Again, I refer you to the paragraph you quoted.  The reason it's deceitful is that it CHANGED with version 1.19 of the Rokoko software.  You guys knew this  - prior to this it was free and did NOT require a monthly subscription.  And that's how you marketed the Rokoko suit stuff -- I could point you to that but you know full well this is the case.

The Rokoko Gloves plugin, released when this free option was no longer available, needs (note the operative term -- not "needed" because for me it's too late, but it damn well had better be cleared up for others) to spell this out.  There is no longer any free option with any of the Rokoko plugs and if you don't state this clearly you are doing your customers a disservice (it's not just the plugin -- that money, as you note, RL will refund.  Rokoko will NOT refund for the suit and/or gloves).

I'm going to make it my crusade now to alert ANYONE who thinks the Rokoko gear is a good option to be well aware of this, since you guys clearly are not.
By animagic - 3 Years Ago
I was surprised too that Rokoko now charges a monthly fee because that is sort of a ransom you have to pay to keep using their products. The whole point is of course to be able to stream the data to iClone, which requires continued payment.
Kelleytoons (5/12/2021)
Again, I refer you to the paragraph you quoted.  The reason it's deceitful is that it CHANGED with version 1.19 of the Rokoko software.  You guys knew this  - prior to this it was free and did NOT require a monthly subscription.  And that's how you marketed the Rokoko suit stuff -- I could point you to that but you know full well this is the case.

The Rokoko Gloves plugin, released when this free option was no longer available, needs (note the operative term -- not "needed" because for me it's too late, but it damn well had better be cleared up for others) to spell this out.  There is no longer any free option with any of the Rokoko plugs and if you don't state this clearly you are doing your customers a disservice (it's not just the plugin -- that money, as you note, RL will refund.  Rokoko will NOT refund for the suit and/or gloves).

I'm going to make it my crusade now to alert ANYONE who thinks the Rokoko gear is a good option to be well aware of this, since you guys clearly are not.

Hi Mike... I will pass on your feedback and we will look to see if we can make it clearer about the Rokoko subscription charges.
By Jeasy - 3 Years Ago
Peter (RL) (5/13/2021)
Kelleytoons (5/12/2021)

Hi Mike... I will pass on your feedback and we will look to see if we can make it clearer about the Rokoko subscription charges.

Yes please Peter, Rokoko needs to have a memorandum of understanding with Reallusion that that people who are buying the motion capture gear profile specifically for Rokoko products and then buying the Rokoko products on top are spending a lot of money. Reallusion to shouldn't have to charge so much for the gear profiles either. Look at Epic Games, they are not charging for live link. Those users who have the suit and the gear profiles for motion live need to have the streaming availability otherwise the products and software pipelines are useless. Is this only targeted towards big studios with enough funding to keep paying or is it for startups as well who are starting out? 

Given that every business needs to make money, however to buy all the pipelines from Reallusion is already confusing, you have multiple packages and not properly explained, customers but the packages and then realize they need to buy another office and piece of software to get functionality, it's form of entrapments as well. Then to buy cc3, iclone, 3D exchange pipeline, motion live, Rokoko gear profiles, Rokoko suit, IPhone, live face profile then to pay subscription for being able to stream the suit data from Rokoko to live stream to unreal... You see the trend? All of us are supporters of Reallusion, and have limited funding and mostly bootstrapping, however there needs to be a point where it gets easier. Reallusion in their business model needs to capture the market better but offering some point of advantage. 

Hope you will discuss these points with the VP for product placement and marketing, pricing and make a difference by re negotiate a data streaming deal with Rokoko and hopefully make your pricing and service model more transparent in the future. 

Thanks 😊