More polycount on export & GoZ

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic473670.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By vadim+2 - 3 Years Ago
Hello everyone!
I think it would be awesome to be able to increase the default polycount for the character.
For example, when I import characters in UE4, the close-up body seems a bit blocky due to the lack of polygons, although they look great in CC3 due to the subdivision function, but the exported characters do not inherit it. This can be fixed in UE4 by enabling the tessellation feature in the material, but the solution is not perfect (see why - https://forum.reallusion.com/410267/Tessellation-issue-in-Unreal-Engine).

Also, it will add a lot more freedom to the GoZ feature if we'll be able to work with a more detailed model in ZBrush - even the highly deformed characters will look great with this feature. In my opinion, it will be specifically useful for film & tv productions where you don't really care about optimization but you need to achieve the best look possible.

Please don't hesitate to let me know guys what do you think about this.

Edit: please upvote this feature on the Feedback tracker - https://www.reallusion.com/FeedBackTracker/Issue/More-polycount-on-export-GoZ
By harnain - 3 Years Ago
this be a great addition if we can have more polys to sculpt in zbrush . You can definitely notice the edges around the ears . Hope that reallusion can come up witha solution to this. 
By Bassline303 - 3 Years Ago
+1
By animagic - 3 Years Ago
I would suggest that this is optional and not a default within CC/iClone. I work solely in iClone so I don't really want the characters to be heavier that they already are.
By Zeronimo - 3 Years Ago
animagic (2/25/2021)
I would suggest that this is optional and not a default within CC/iClone. I work solely in iClone so I don't really want the characters to be heavier that they already are.

+1 
By JoeGideon - 3 Years Ago
Yes - the fact that Reallusion does not provide for exporting subdivision is a huge issue. I also feel that Reallusion is very disingenuous in saying that you can achieve smoothing in Unreal Engine by using Tessellation - which clearly does NOT work (artifacts). This combined with the massive FBX eye malfunction issue makes me feel that Reallusion's software is almost unusable. I hope that the free MetaHumans at Unreal Engine will light a fire under Reallusion and make them get their act together. 

vadim+2 (2/25/2021)
Hello everyone!
I think it would be awesome to be able to increase the default polycount for the character.
For example, when I import characters in UE4, the close-up body seems a bit blocky due to the lack of polygons, although they look great in CC3 due to the subdivision function, but the exported characters do not inherit it. This can be fixed in UE4 by enabling the tessellation feature in the material, but the solution is not perfect (see why - https://forum.reallusion.com/410267/Tessellation-issue-in-Unreal-Engine).

Also, it will add a lot more freedom to the GoZ feature if we'll be able to work with a more detailed model in ZBrush - even the highly deformed characters will look great with this feature. In my opinion, it will be specifically useful for film & tv productions where you don't really care about optimization but you need to achieve the best look possible.

Please don't hesitate to let me know guys what do you think about this.

Edit: please upvote this feature on the Feedback tracker - https://www.reallusion.com/FeedBackTracker/Issue/More-polycount-on-export-GoZ

By Ascensi - 3 Years Ago
You can already do this! send to zbrush, subdivide with smooth, send back to iclone and skin the mesh as a new body, copy the weight painting from the original to your subdivided body, copy the textures over to each part, then when exporting hide the original character mesh then upon export, select "delete hidden". You wont be able to import the exported version when the original body deleted. 

Also @JoeGideon you could try my method for tessellation with displacement and get realistic results at the same time. Artifacts like cracks can be adjusted with the multiplier between each of the materials to tighten things up and sometimes toggling double sided texture rendering can help  
By Bassline303 - 3 Years Ago
Cool workflow , have to try that , thank you for sharing 👍
Ascensi - Wow, thank you so much! These sound like great tips and I look forward to trying them out! 
Question on tessellation: Have you tested your tessellation method with an animating character, testing the range of motion? The artifacts I was reporting happen when the character is in motion, not when in a static pose.
By Ascensi - 3 Years Ago
Maybe you could show a video of the problem you're having. This is an animation of a CC3+ character in iClone, no subdivisions! -just tessellation. My method should work fine making the normal maps used as displacement with 1.0 softness applied to each body part and then the disp map mirrored but if you still get a seam between UVs if adjusting the displacement multiplier doesn't totally work then you will additionally have to make sure the connecting edge of the UV maps like neck on the head displacement texture  has the same pixel tone as the neck area/edge of the Body displacement map so it's a smooth displacement transition. Same goes for the edge of the displacement map where the arms meet the body and the legs connecting to the body etc.  Photoshop clone tool would probably be ideal.
Here is my example of full displacement, no cracks, animated (morph compatible)  
I sculpted and painted the CC3+ character in Zbrush and then imported the maps later.. The result would be the same with ether method. 
as far as UE4, there are different tessellation shaders in general.. the kind you are looking for should have a smoothing option toggle and maybe add a small pure black texture to each body material's displacement slot to make the character/displacement completely smooth if you want to try something simple. 
Hi Ascensi -- You are showing a character animating in iClone - and there is no problem with the smoothing in iClone. However, iClone is unusable for actual production as the output is not HDR (High Dynamic Range), and produces unusable banding in the rendered images. I need a solution for smoothing the characters in UE4 - Reallusion sold me a package with the claim that you could render the animation in UE4, but they failed to disclose that the animation would be unusable for video production because iClone only exports a low resolution version of the character to UE4.

The character appears perfectly smooth in iClone, but when exported to UE4, the character has unacceptable, blocky sharp edges. Reallusion has a tutorial in which they say the solution is to use triangles tessellation in UE4 to smooth the characters, but this only works if the character is in a static held pose. If you use the Reallusion tutorial "solution," the character will have artifacts that appear at the seams when the character animates, making this completely unusable for any professional application. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/75612937-13e4-45a8-b724-da13.jpg
By Ascensi - 3 Years Ago
I'd look at your UE4 import settings.. I know when working with Unity it had settings that automatically converted meshes and textures this isn't good!
Character meshes should be left alone and textures.. so check those settings.. I use Marmoset, Houdini and Maya and took years to finding solutions thinking it was created by Reallusion or the programs I use to create with. While many programs and pipelines are not perfect/ideal there are things that we need to solve ourselves because even though these companies have implemented tech that in theory should work, there are some issues that can complicate things.. like current game engine shader version/bug, import settings/ compression, graphics driver creating artifacts, no available learning resources to deal with these glitches. 
Examine the textures after imported into UE4 with the ones in CC3 to see if there is a change in the texture.. if you've upgraded your CC3 character to CC3+ the glitch to me is known as an issue with the skin that you have on your character was created in CC3 and because the new CC3+ has extra geometry/UV it would need to be painted in that area to fix it. I have a Grizzly bear I created and saw this error first hand in the neck and shoulder area I believe so I had to repaint my model. The CC3 to CC3+ converter does the best it can with baking from lower poly/UV to higher but in reality it may actually need human intervention to paint areas that it couldn't fill which is no fault of the program.  Did you try tessellation with a black texture for displacement? Anyway the other option you could try is export all the textures from Character Creator and import them into UE4 but maybe make sure it doesn't alter the textures. Maybe you need to try a different tessellation shader or roll it back if you can. Lastly if you're stuck you could pick up akeytsu and swap the body of your body for a subdivided version (copy the weightmap)  Many options here but it sounds like it is UE that is causing the problem in this case. Also test your character in other programs to be sure.

By runmax4 - 3 Years Ago
Thanks for share!
In your method is it possible send it back to cc3 for adjust the slider? or it only can work with iclone?
thanks a lot~