Blender model to iclone via 3DXchange problems

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic469332.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By bulma_saur - 3 Years Ago
Dear Reallusion users, I wish you all a happy new year!

I am new to Reallusion products, and have been assigned to learn and get into 3D animation. However, I have been seriously stuck to one issue: I can't seem to properly import fbx files into iClone via 3DXchange. 

Some blender files have been sent to me, of  textured and rigged models (rigged with human metarig). I keep export them to .fbx files (trying many different settings), and here's what I get:

- Originally, 3DXchange would show an import file error (3DXchange may not support this file format), or takes forever to load and eventually stops responding. Then, the person modeling the original .blend files and I make several changes in order to see what might be causing the problem, but we haven't figured it out.
- When I did manage an import, the bones were too many (for example, 4 bones on one leg) and no matter how I mapped them, It didn't work right (the result was rather spooky, actually!)
- I then tried a human metarig with weight paint, instead of generated, and that seemed to work fine, except for the face. It was a test, so I didn't adjust the face bones with much attention, but could it also be something about the modeling process in Blender?
- Materials sometimes don't show, and I don't know how to get textures to work.
- After all this trouble, I tried exporting CC3 bases to blender (tried with DAZ genesis characters too) in order to edit and reimport them, but I couldn't make that work either. I haven't tried that in a while, so I'm not sure what to say about this, but it still interests me, so if you have any good walkthroughs on that, they're most welcome!
- I have also tried downloading free 3D stuff in fbx and blend files, but they either change on 3DXchange, and the materials and texture problems persist.

I have watched many videos, but nothing seems to help with all of my problems. And it's strage, because I have read posts from users here working with both Blender and Reallusion software, which means it's functional. 

I know I'm not giving specific information, but I would really appreciate some help on this matter. I am pretty much a beginner, but I've been trying to solve these issues for months. In this process, I have learnt quite a lot, but some basic understanding of several things is still missing. So, any advice would be really helpful!
By Peter (RL) - 3 Years Ago
Hi...

3DXchange 7 comes with pre-sets for 3DS Max Biped, Daz Genesis and Maya Human-IK. If you import a character with one of these bone structures then the bones will be automatically mapped.

However, if you import a model with a different bone structure then you have to do the mapping yourself and as you have found this can sometimes be confusing due to the extra bones often included.

The important thing to remember if that you don't have to map every bone. What is important that you correctly map the bones until you get a green light as shown below. During the mapping process it is important you also map the spine, neck and fingers by clicking the dropdowns. But again you don't have the map every bone on the model but you will need to identify the corresponding bones that match those shown.

Sadly when custom bone mapping there can be a lot of trial and error involved to ensure the character moves and animates correctly. Overall if you can rig a character with the Human-IK bone structure to start with you will find it will save you lots of time in 3DXchange and even in most other 3D software.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/3564a1ab-bf4d-4561-b643-725b.jpg
By bulma_saur - 3 Years Ago
Thank you, Peter (PL) for your reply!
It's good to know that things indeed get tricky at times, and that it doesn't always have to do with the user's knowledge.

At this point, there are no thoughts of working with Maya, Daz, 3DS or ZBrush, just Blender, although I'm willing to learn pretty much anything in order to make things work. Problem is, these programms have their own cost.

I think, however, that I have the rig thing figured out. I still wonder though, if the modeling process in Blender can cause problems in 3DXchange other than the rig. For example, lately, when I import the model in 3DXchange, the teeth are super huge and about 50 meters above the model's head! And, of course, it's the case of materials and textures. 
By Jayso - 3 Years Ago
I've also been having difficulty with Blender/Metarig imports into 3Dxchange Pipeline. I'm unable to map bones correctly in 3D exhange. Did you get this to work?
By hattori kun - 3 Years Ago
A preset for rigify and autorig pro for Blender would be great!
By sargentpilcher - 3 Years Ago
hattori kun (10/12/2021)
A preset for rigify and autorig pro for Blender would be great!

I 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th this. Or at least some kind of tutorial to know what steps to follow. 
By niels_013071 - 2 Years Ago
I 6nd, 7th, 8th, waaaah, please Reallusion give us a characterization profile for the Auto-Rig Pro Blender skeleton Smile
By Peter (RL) - 2 Years Ago
niels_013071 (4/14/2022)
I 6nd, 7th, 8th, waaaah, please Reallusion give us a characterization profile for the Auto-Rig Pro Blender skeleton Smile

Character Creator 4 will have an auto-conversion profile for Blender. Please see the video below for more information on the available conversion profiles coming in CC4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMa35O8KYhM