iClone 8 wishlist

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic468935.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By FallenNInja - 3 Years Ago
With iClone 7 winding down. There are a few features that, unless proven otherwise, iClone 8 MUST have in order for it to be a worth while upgrade.

Updated vegetation system:
- reworking the grass to work properly with the new render features. Option to prevent grass from rotating.
- scatter tool.
- proper vegetation painting and not the click method used now.
- replaced or revamped speed tree system with support for custom trees.

Performance:
- Proper LOD settings/support so that larger scenes can be created and worked in without horrible performance with an option to disabled LOD switching upon render.
- RTX integration so that we can have a middle ground between iray and the standard render.

Other significant features:
- individual channel rendering support. Not dependant on iray rendering. For example, rendering just the depth map.
- popcornfx support in iray.

By armondtanz - 3 Years Ago
Id vote also for;
Shadow Pass. I always think iClone lacks in the shadow department. To composite this in Ae would be a lot better
Still trying to work out if you can somehow cast a shadow on hidden or dummy model? 
By daedalus7 - 3 Years Ago
If there is one thing that it seems to be missing, it's support for Groom Hair. I mean, Unreal Engine has it, why not iClone/CC?
By Angel Alonso - 3 Years Ago
armondtanz I agree that render passes are necessary. However the shadows cast on a dummy object is something that IClone has been doing for a long time. there are several tutorials on this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0zo5Z6ann0&ab_channel=Reallusion
By Peter (RL) - 3 Years Ago
Thank you for the suggestions.  Please do remember to post all suggestions in the Feedback Tracker. The tracker is monitored directly by the relevant product teams and you will get feedback from the team there when applicable. In addition, it allows other users to support your request with the most requested suggestions normally getting priority. 

To use the Feedback Tracker, please click the link below.

Thank you. 
By Stolpi - 3 Years Ago
The link is broken 
By toystorylab - 3 Years Ago
https://www.reallusion.com/FeedBackTracker
By AlexKong - 3 Years Ago
Hey guys! 

New user here, SUPER excited about Reallusion and the whole ecosystem. I've been a Maya user for 15 years now and I recently finished my first ever iclone full scene.

Here are some things that I'd love iClone to have!

1.   Give us an option to Turn off ALL autokeying
2.   Make it possible to have various viewports at the same time (Perspective, Camera and ortographics), AT LEAST...make it possible to unlock camera move on the Mini Viewport and to change the mini viewport qualty. This would be tremendously helpful for animation and lighting.
3.   Minimal mode, should still have a basic iris and pupils shader. If you want to animate in the fastest way, minimal mode is the way to good but you still need a reference of your eyes.
4.   I wish the Home focus mode, would just take you closer to the object straight from the perspective that you where in, unless it wasn't within your field of view then normal 3/4s.
5.   Also, please! Make it possible to change the hotkeys. The home button for instance is to far, and focusing on one object is basic to be able to tumble around it. There's always the K button, but anyway, being able to customize the hotkeys is I belive BASIC to any professional software.
6.   The ability to dock the time line JUST in the middle part, so that it doesn't take all the lower space, I like having long side panels because they are lists.
7.   Make it possible to move things perpendicular to the camera. (Camera plane axis)
8.   Make it possible to change the camera lens from the Preview camera!!! Actually, allow us to change all the settings from the preview camera, sometimes you want to scout the scene with a similar camera to the ones you are going to use. At least allow us to change the film gate and the lens. And yes I know I could use a new camera to do the scouting, but then allow us to turn off autokeying.
9.   Allow us to change the opacity of the film gate, right now it stays 50% black. It's good to be able to see your image with a final crop, not a "sort of" final crop.
10.   Give us a repeat last command hotkey. Actually one feature I love from maya and softimage is that middle click on a menu repeats the last action done on that menu.
11.   Make the software aware of which panel you are on and execute commands in relation to that, I hate that you have to actually click the panel. Having the mouse over a panel should be enough to make the connection.
12.   Allow cameras to be matched in position, currently you can't match one camera to another.
13.   Free the Roll axis in cameras...like, WHY the hell is the Roll locked on cameras? Dutch angles are a super powerful cinematic tool! I know you can type the values on the rotation channel, but then if you move with that camera on the viewport it snaps back to zero! This one I really hate.
14.   Create an "isolate selected" hotkey, sometimes you want to select something and isolate it from everything else, then another hotkey to deisolate (Do not turn on what was off previous to isolating).
15.   Hotkey or quick access button to select current camera and go to it's modify panel, without having to go to the scene content and select it.
16.   Make pupil scale animatable, this is basic for good facial animation.
17.   Make it possible to key the shader values (like animating the emissive brightness)
18.   A tool to add random timewarp variance to a loop, this would be a KILLER feature to add randomness to a cycle.
19.   Create a look through selected light feature, so that you can move the light around like a camera.
20.   A hotkey to frame the timeline to the length of a selected clip, like (F) when on the timeline panel.
21.   Loop,Speed and resize hotkeys to change the modes faster.
22.   Actually, add a way to add a hotkey to ANY command, a hotkey editor
23.   A smarter timeline in terms of aligning/snapping keys and snapping timeline to the closest frame that has a key. 
24.   A way to animate teeth up and down, teeth are basic to create good visimes and sometimes you need to move them around to create a particular one.
25.   A way to save a full pose and apply that pose as a layer to a clip. This way you could for example create an idle with the Motion Mix... then apply a particular pose and have a good basis for an animation and I know there's the motion editor and modify feature, and those are AWESOME, but the poses you can get are limited.
26. Allow object transformation matching/aligning to character's body parts
27. And option to Autoframe curves in the curve editor when you select them.
28. It'd be nice to be able to create a clip out of a camera move, so that you could then reposition the camera on top of that clip. This would be helpful for like reframing shaking cameras.
29. We need a way to set iclone to different frame rates...professional animators sculpt their performances based on the final frame output.
30. One thing I love from Nuke, and I believe all programs should have, is the ability to click on ay number in the software and just go up and down with the arrows on that SPECIFIC digit... this would be tremendously helpful for minute finessing.

By charly Rama - 3 Years Ago
Hey Alex, welcome here mate. Thanks for all these propositions, can't wait for Iclone 8
Also, in the edit motion layer... it would be awesome to be able to click and drag to select for example many fingers at once, or just have a button at the end of each finger to select that whole finger, or a button to select all fingers from one hand... something!

I just feel it's a bit slow to select fingers as they are right now
By mtakerkart - 3 Years Ago
@AlexKong

You can move the whole Hand finger or one finger at a time in this panel...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/596b498c-e7b3-447f-afd4-44c3.jpg
UPDATE: Nevermind, uncompressed they work just fine!

================

I wish videos would unload from memory if you hide the billboard that have them or if you turn them off in the background.

Also, being able to load image sequences and not just videos would be helpful for scrubbing in the timeline, when having a video scrubbing is super jerky!
oh hey thanks!
By 0oseven - 3 Years Ago
I would like volumetric spotlights which can be animated - ie size / rotation /colour/ density etc
Here is an example created in Daz Carrara 8.5pro .
 The spot is positioned on the pojector and is animated with an oscillation tweener [on/off ] so creating a fast flicker . A video is applied to a plane for the film screen - The reels are animated with rotation and when played the effect is a movie projection.

Just one example of the dozens of things that can be created.I think Iclones tweeners could be expanded with more options 

In the second image spots are being used for stage lighting and the purple is in fact "volumetric fog " that swirls around the stage. because it can be animated as well as moved,scaled and positioned within its container .
So yes volumetric fog please. [ I'm still learning IC7 features so not sure if Iclones fog  works this way ]
Other lights are point lights with starburst effect applied - part of the settings so easy to do.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d1c9a64d-404d-47fb-b1db-634d.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8f924558-669c-43e3-8f10-c3c6.jpg

@Ooseven

Volumetric light is coming

Volumetric fog can be created with popcornfx particles wich react with light

By justaviking - 3 Years Ago
@Alex,

You've made a very nice list.  Some of your Camera and Viewport comments in particular captured my attention since I have written some Feedback Tracker entries on those topics.  I'll list them at the bottom of this email.

{quote}13.   Free the Roll axis in cameras...like, WHY the hell is the Roll locked on cameras? Dutch angles are a super powerful cinematic tool! I know you can type the values on the rotation channel, but then if you move with that camera on the viewport it snaps back to zero! This one I really hate.[/quote]

I found the solution.  I knew it was in there somewhere.
a) Select your camera.
b) Edit -->  Camera --> Auto Level (uncheck it)

I find it easiest to use the "E" hotkey and rotate the gimbal in Local coordinates

That "Auto Level" option really should be on the Camera "Modify" panel, right below the "Lock Camera View" checkmark.

Some of my Viewport and Camera submissions...
Issue #301:  Multiple viewports to aid in positioning items - 3 orthographic, 1 free-form
Issue #302:  Option for a "Floating Gizmo" to be in center of viewport
Issue #495:  Please add "Switch" to the list of Mini Viewport cameras
Issue #1440:  (CC3)  Add a Create Camera function, the same as in iClone
Issue #6908:  When a CAMERA is selected, the Modify panel should display only the Attribute tab

a) Select your camera.

OMG!!!! Can't believe it.....  w00t
mtakerkart (8/6/2021)
justaviking

a) Select your camera.

OMG!!!! Can't believe it.....  w00t

As long as we're on the topic, I created a Feedback Tracker suggestion.

Issue #8052:  Camera "Auto Level" option should be on the camera Modify panel

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1cce4a43-10ab-4d92-b692-6459.jpg
AlexKong (7/29/2021)
1   Give us an option to Turn off ALL autokeying

I agree with this being an OPTION.  I firmly believe that with it Off, many people will be equally, or even more frustruated when they spend a lot of time posing a character or positioning a prop, only to discover later they forgot to create a keyframe.  To me, a keyframe is so easy to delete, that cost of an unwanted keyframe far outweighs the cost of missed ones.  But I am okay as long as it is an option.

AlexKong (7/29/2021)
26 Allow object transformation matching/aligning to character's body parts

Can you explain more what you mean?  I want to say the "Attach" option work, but I suspect there is more to your statement than what I'm seeing.
By 4u2ges - 3 Years Ago
Dennis reminded me about my very first FT ticket. It was about camera to allow Auto Level by any axis - not only Z: https://www.reallusion.com/FeedBackTracker/Issue/Allow-camera-Auto-Level-for-any-given-axis
It was mostly when I built 90 degrees twisted scenes to have water as a mirror.
After releasing Auto Level and rolling camera by 90 degrees, it was practically impossible to operate it as it kept snapping. Attaching to a prop was the only solution.
We soon going to have a "normal" mirror, yet still Leveling by any axis should be in place.

Can you explain more what you mean?  I want to say the "Attach" option work, but I suspect there is more to your statement than what I'm seeing.

I believe Alex meant the ability to align
(Ctrl+L) the object with character limbs.
That would be a nice feature to immediately place an object by character's hand, for instance and then just tweak it before attaching/linking.

4u2ges (8/6/2021)

I believe Alex meant the ability to align
(Ctrl+L) the object with character limbs.
That would be a nice feature to immediately place an object by character's hand, for instance and then just tweak it before attaching/linking.

That makes sense.  Thanks.
By Rampa - 3 Years Ago
Click on the elypsis for the link or attach to get a position or position and rotation option. It aligns the axis of the object being linked/attached to the axis of the body-part being linked/attached to.
By 4u2ges - 3 Years Ago
Rampa (8/6/2021)
Click on the elypsis for the link or attach to get a position or position and rotation option. It aligns the axis of the object being linked/attached to the axis of the body-part being linked/attached to.

Seen it thousand times... never used it for some reason w00tBigGrin
By 4u2ges - 3 Years Ago
I was a bit sleepy yesterday Smile Now I remember why I gave up on tweaking position/rotation after the fact.
It's kind of backward. I want to finish with all transforms *before* attaching/linking. There were some problem with scaling after the export.
It should be all zeroed out prior... So yes, it's best to have this in Ctrl+L. Otherwise it's back and force
I made an update to the Camera Auto Level suggestion on Feedback Tracker which I shared earlier in this thread.

Issue #8052:  Camera "Auto Level" option should be on the camera Modify panel

Auto Level and Smooth Movement (found under "Edit --> Camera") both affect ALL cameras, like a Project Preference would.  I'm suggesting putting BOTH options on the camera Modify panel, and indicating they affect all cameras.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ad8a79f2-2105-4d23-9a00-6479.jpg

By armondtanz - 3 Years Ago
Maybe hire Andrew Krammer. Ha
If not maybe load up his software and see what things you can be influenced by. 

1-Gotta be the render engine. Hope that gets a polishing up. 
2-Morphing? Twisting, duplicate, bending... Bit like in C4D
3-Ability to fracture objects... this would be cool...
4-Tracking??? dont think this is going to happen, but imagine tracking, send it to (unreal) or import it in from Ae etc? 
5-Bake animations for export to Unreal? 
6-Scatter tool, like in omneverse where objects scatter and follow physics
7-Paint with objects-load a series of objects and you can paint with them (like scatter)