Time in Unreal Sequence Shorter Then iClone

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic444938.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Power Ten Productions - 4 Years Ago
Has anyone had issues with the sequence time in Unreal being shorter then it is in the iClone animation? I've checked frame rates and tried even delaying for a few seconds before sending animation over. Would it be an adjustment of sample rate that would do this? I've matched everything to the tutorial videos by Reallusion.
By kungphu - 4 Years Ago
I’ve been frustrated with this SINCE DECEMBER!!!!! I finally figured out what the problem is. DO NOT follow the Reallusion tutorials when they tell you to select fixed frame rate in your project settings. As long as you don’t choose fixes frames, everything magically matches up. Lip sync was virtually impossible due to how fast it would copy into sequencer. I tried everything for months and luckily stumbled on this when I forgot to select fixed frame rate per the Reallusion tutorial and it was finally timed perfectly with audio and the frames in my iclone project matched the frames in the sequencer.
By Bassline303 - 4 Years Ago
Aha , you got it -  Good to know :-)
By kungphu - 4 Years Ago
Bassline303 (5/21/2020)
Aha , you got it -  Good to know :-)

Yeah, finally! It was about to pull all my hair out. Ironically I discovered it by accident when I didn’t follow the steps from the tutorial. Go figure!
By rosuckmedia - 4 Years Ago
@kungphu
Thank you for the informationSmile
Best regards rosuckmedia
By kungphu - 4 Years Ago
NP! I was going insane with this since last year. Soooooo much easier now.
Thank you for saving us all hours and glad to see others were having the same problem and therefore this thread is of value to the entire community and not just myself.
By Eric C (RL) - 4 Years Ago
Hi everyone,

Really appreciate your feedback on the fix frame rate issue, and we see many of you are having big trouble on doing lip sync while the time is not matching.
And I also see you sharing tips, or the comments about our tutorials. We've collected them and forwarded to our team already.
Hopefully by next Monday, we can provide our feedback on this issue. So stay tuned and we will reply soon!
Thanks a lot!

Eric
By Eric C (RL) - 4 Years Ago
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late!! After having spoken with the tech department, we would like to explain the reason for activating the Fixed Frame Rate option in the instruction video below.  In addition, we would like to receive your thoughts and feedback.

In our tutorial video, we enabled the Fixed Frame Rate option in order to prevent the feet from sliding around.  In the following video, you can see the difference between having Fixed Frame Rate activated and deactivated.

We know that not having Fixed Frame Rate activated, can cause frame slippage between iClone and Unreal Engine, and it is mainly caused by a limitation in the Unreal system. By now, we recommend the following fixes:

1. Disable the Fixed Frame Rate option, but make sure the character is resting in matching positions, otherwise foot sliding can occur.
2. Export the character FBX to Unreal in order to ensure that the original animation length is preserved.

Cheers,

Oh , thats interesting , good to know , thx Eric !
By rosuckmedia - 4 Years Ago
Hi Eric,
Thank you for this tutorial updateSmile
Best regards rosuckmedia

By kungphu - 4 Years Ago
Very interesting! I do mostly 48Hr films so I don’t think I can export fbx. If I have 4/5 character in a scene and 18 scenes I’ll never make the deadline. I guess there’s no other workaround. Sad
make 72H movies , 24h for importing long animation files ;-)  But Unreal is working on Animation streaming . So no more long waiting for animation imports but maybe long waiting for this feature BigGrin
By kungphu - 4 Years Ago
Ha! I wish. The deadlines are strict for these competitions. Been on a recent bad steak, usually we win soemthing but I’m almost certain we got shut out of awards this go round! I’ll find out tonight.
Further want to note that in the updated tutorial "Reduce Keys" is not checked either. This with the Fixed Frame Rate not being checked are different then the tutorial on YouTube. Was still having some issues and say this in Eric's video that fixed everything.
By cinemyscope - 4 Years Ago
Hi Eric,
I tried your suggestion but my issue isn't lip sync my issue is compositing.  Reallusion spent a lot of effort to create beautiful looking skin shaders and CC characters are looking great.  Unfortunately when sending them with Live Link to UE they loose some of this greatness. Even with an HQ setting. At the same time I dislike the way iClone renders DoF and UE is also more suited for building environments.  The logical solution to me is to composite iC faces with UE renders but for that I do need the two renders to be frame accurate.  Any fix for this would be greatly appreciated!
The image shows the drift.  Note Fixed frame was off, so there is no difference in frames in the timeline but there is still slippage inside the render when there is motion.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/33aa8d5b-655f-4d69-aa49-b842.jpg
By animagic - 4 Years Ago
Disclaimer: I am no Unreal expert...Unsure

However, what I'm wondering is if there is a difference in interpolation between Unreal and iClone to generate 24 fps.

iClone's internal fps is 60 and I don't know how it gets to 24, but some sort of compromise is necessary because you can't divide 60 by an integer to get at 24. Unreal may use a different method from iClone, hence the drift.
Did you record your animation in UE4 ?  You will never find the right start to record because you do it by hand , mostly it is a bit later. You have to sync the right starting point in AE/Premiere or what every you are using.
And what animagic said is right too , use 60/30fps for both renders.

Or do your animations have different speed in IC and UE4? When fixed frames is off they should have the same speed.
By nealtucker - 4 Years Ago
I'm a bit confused having followed some videos.
I have been testing the take recorder for recording the animation, So...should we have fixed fraim Un-ticked for now?
N.
Yeah , it is confusing , but what is easy in UE4? Tongue
- Use "fixed frames" for animation like walks or runs or dancing , so you get no feet sliding.
- Untick "fixed frames" for accurate sync , like for speech or singing. (sitting newsreader, standing conversation)

If you have a talking Character running up that hill , I would prefer Animation FBX import ;-)
By nealtucker - 4 Years Ago
Ah, got, another one ticked off the list....If only I can remember them all LOL
N. 
Realize now I posted this in the wrong thread, but has anyone had time issues when importing an FBX with "Fixed Frames" unchecked. Are there any additional things that need to be checked or unchecked in the import window?
By cloud.ninja - 3 Years Ago
Hi - is there any update or more details on how to resolve this issue? I've turned off my frame rate as per KungPhu suggestion but I am still having a lag between the mouth movement once it's recorded in sequencer vs. the actually audio.

I'm using UE4 ver. 4.26 and iC7 on a PC.

appreciation in advance,
cn.