Why Does Hand and Body Mocap Not Supporting Mac OS?

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic444220.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Ola(RL) - 4 Years Ago
Dear Cartoon Animator Users

Reallusion is proud of the latest Motion LIVE 2D 1.1 for Cartoon Animator (CTA) and the ability
to motion capture the entire human body. Our ambition is to revolutionize the 2D animation
industry through this integrated face, hand and body mocap solution. 

However, CTA Mac users may be wondering “Where is my mocap?”, “Why can’t I have the
hand and body motion capture features? ”. 

The reason Mac is excluded from Motion LIVE 2D 1.1 is because the motion capture device
manufacturers like Xsens, Perception Neuron, Rokoko, Optitrack, Leap Motion and others
DO NOT provide Mac compatible devices. Unfortunately, as a software developer  we can not
break through the limitations set by hardware at this time. But rest assured that Reallusion  
will provide options once these hardware limitations are overcome. 

However, Mac users can enjoy the new "Bone Hand" feature which contains over 200 natural
hand gestures to select to create 
smooth hand moves instantly. Furthermore, it also allows you to
create 2D by
 keyframeing each and every single bone of a hand. Finally, "Bone Hand" is the
ground where our 
hand mocap stands. Once the mocap devices are Mac ready, you can start right
away.

By carl_20150204134017765 - 4 Years Ago
Already got my Leap Motion and its Mac compatible , so what's the problem?
Carl Brandwood in the UK
By chamberzen - 4 Years Ago
I spent the same amount of money, so should I be able to change to windows?
By scribbley3rd - 4 Years Ago
Hey guys,  This is a question I asked on another thread. 

I too have a leap motion on the mac and have done since the kickstarter all those years ago.  The SDK is a little older but after speaking with the UltraLeap team about this I have confidence that it may be possible to add support for mac users at least with the majority of functionality.  Looking at the test app you can see how well the Leap functions on the mac.  I understand that the target audience is PC but I'm sure there are quite a few mac users out there who'd benefit and have paid for this software and have seen the hand options sitting there since V4 was launched.  I know I sound like a cracked record but years of working in support has made me more annoyed that this has actually happened and no thought or plans have been put in place for those disappointed customers.  

I'm sorry but the above line about the leap hardware not being supported on mac is a little misleading.  V2 of the SDK is still available on mac and is still functional if time and care had been taken to investigate further.  I can't comment on other devices only the Leap.  I may just send that line to ultraleap for comment. Smile  I totally understand it may not be quite as straight forward and may not be cost effective at a financial level.  I'd like to know if there have been any technical investigations on mac or an instant dismissal?  

Reallusion should have said from day 1 that the product license will work on a Mac and PC so you can take advantage of these new features if you have a PC at hand.  Not an ideal solution at all but at least something.  Plan B would be to re-investigate leap mac support and talk to the really nice Ultra Leap team who I'm sure will benefit from such support from Reallusion mac products.  Makes sense in my head but then I've only worked in this industry for may years.. What do I know BigGrin 

Fingers crossed we get an announcement from Reallusion soon about this. Smile  As I said on another comment it's such a shame as the Devs have put so much effort and time into this feature and it's really impressive and a game changer I think.  The leap is an affordable product (at least was) and is a solution for hand gestures.  Plus in future it could be used for more puppetting.   So to end I want to say thanks to the Developers for creating and working on 4.2 Smile 
By Peter (RL) - 4 Years Ago
carl_20150204134017765 (5/21/2020)
Already got my Leap Motion and its Mac compatible , so what's the problem?
Carl Brandwood in the UK

Hi Carl

Please see the FAQ page below. This explains the reason.

https://kb.reallusion.com/Product/52892/Is-there-a-Mac-version-for-the-Leap-Motion-Profile
By Peter (RL) - 4 Years Ago
chamberzen (5/21/2020)
I spent the same amount of money, so should I be able to change to windows?

Please contact Customer Support using the link below and explain you would like to change to Windows. They may be able to help you if you wish to use mocap with CTA4..

https://www.reallusion.com/CustomerSupport/UserEx/QForm.html
By mann-e_202463 - 4 Years Ago
leap motion have also mac iOS version i don't understand why your software not supported https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ4hXLe_gmM
By mann-e_202463 - 4 Years Ago
mann-e_202463 (5/25/2020)
leap motion have also mac iOS version i don't understand why your software not supported https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ4hXLe_gmM

I believe after one year purchase  this software ..you can't not get supported with new options ? that means the future of this software for mac users is not good.... i'm considering get may money back... if you don't have any possibility to work the companies can support they hardware with mac
A little perspective,  I hope Leap won't object to me sharing this.  This is a real, official response. 
"Thank you for taking the time to get in touch.
Currently if you are using a Mac then you will need to download and install our V2 Leap Motion software which can be accessed from our website below:
You can still develop with this SDK and I would recommend starting with our online documentation to familiarise yourself with the concepts and APIs:
Although I am limited on the information that I can give you, I would like to reassure you that we have not forgotten Mac users and I would recommend staying tuned to our social channels and news feeds later this year for any announcements that we make concerning this issue."
This all ends on a very interesting note so again ... I'm not convinced that it's not possible to implement at least a good amount of features on mac.  Wish I was a better coder as I'd love to see what is possible with the SDK on mac.  These guys just need to have a serious conversation.  It makes good business sense in my head.  Again happy to be proven wrong on this one. Smile 
By dvnmedia - 4 Years Ago
Could I suggest Reallusion look at its licence agreement, instead of buying a Mac or Windows version of CT4 a single licence could allow you to use either version. This would help as some people, like me, have access to an older windows laptop as well as my iMac and could therefore install on both machines. I would only be permitted to use one copy at a time, similar to the current arrangements, only on different OS's. I could then use the Windows version to do all the Motion Capture and still use the MacOS to create my animations. This would benefit both sides as Reallusion would get the extra revenue from the purchase of the plugins and Mac uses could use the Mocap plugins without purchasing another CTA4 licence, making everyone happy.
By toonmanbill - 4 Years Ago
dvnmedia (6/11/2020)
Could I suggest Reallusion look at its licence agreement, instead of buying a Mac or Windows version of CT4 a single licence could allow you to use either version. This would help as some people, like me, have access to an older windows laptop as well as my iMac and could therefore install on both machines. I would only be permitted to use one copy at a time, similar to the current arrangements, only on different OS's. I could then use the Windows version to do all the Motion Capture and still use the MacOS to create my animations. This would benefit both sides as Reallusion would get the extra revenue from the purchase of the plugins and Mac uses could use the Mocap plugins without purchasing another CTA4 licence, making everyone happy.

Good suggestion.
But better yet, have it available for the MAC as well for those of us that don't have a windows computer.  It's not fair that we get to pay the same price for the software as the windows users, but we don't get the full capabilities or options.  Please bring the MAC version soon.  Thank you!

100 percent agree but there's no budging the team on supporting leap motion users who have a mac and a windows machine and prefer the mac machine for most of the tasks.  You may (if you ask nicely) change your license to PC but this isn't a solution for many.  

The license should be cross platform on a single machine if there are going to be such huge differences in versions.  I get that a lot of things don't support mac but leap motion isn't one of them, not totally.  Lets hope Reallusion and Ultra leap work together on mac support and get mac support in the near future.  

Really disappointed that there's no compromise on licenses but here we are.  I think that's a really poor attitude and I'm sure is financially based which is a shame (unfortunately sales teams rarely understand customer service or customer satisfaction, only forecasting and erm sales / profit (which is of course their job)  Sad ) .  It should be very clear that the Mac user is going to get an inferior product to that of the PC version.  Will have to check the marketing to make sure this is happening and they are fulfilling their legal obligations. Smile 

Here's hoping there is a change of heart or a clever dev works some magic on the leap.  I'm hopeful the day will come.  Until then my leap will be back to gathering dust.  Fingers are crossed... 
By ramses47 - 4 Years Ago
Quelle webcam à tu?
Ô moi
C'est la marque LOGITECH c270 hd. 720 pixel X 30 images PS...
J'hésite à acheter le logiciel d'animation
By boxels - 4 Years Ago
Any Mac support yet? 
By e.lokhorst - 4 Years Ago
What about the ROKOKO? The Rokoko Studio is also available as a mac version.
By animagic - 4 Years Ago
e.lokhorst (12/21/2020)
What about the ROKOKO? The Rokoko Studio is also available as a mac version.

ROKOKO is supported. See here: https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost466264.aspx.
By maskedsonic - 3 Years Ago
but the Rokoko Profile is a windows only.  why?

By DoronT770 - 3 Years Ago
still no support for Macs?
By Kelleytoons - 3 Years Ago
iClone has always been a Windows only program.  Unlikely to ever change.  If you want Mac support you'll need to look for other 3D software (there's not much for the Mac but I think there are still a few things).