Unreal Crashes and Warnings

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic437245.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Dan Miller - 4 Years Ago
When I transfer via Live Link it ends up crashing UE4. Also when I first connect via Live Link I get a list of warnings:

(02) Can't evaluate frame for 'CC_Base'. No data was available.
(02) Upgrade your code. Curve elements count has changed from the previous frame. That will clear the previous frames of that subject.
(02) Upgrade your code. Curve elements count has changed from the previous frame. That will clear the previous frames of that subject.
(30,716) Trying to add more than 64 frames in the same frame. Oldest frames will be discarded.

Maybe I just have something setup wrong. Anyone else having these kinds of issues? I find that UE4 crashes all the time, not just in transfer. It seems to be related to Live Link because when I use it without the iClone Live Link, there is not issue.
I'm still trying to figure out what's going wrong. I created a new project with UE4 4.23, re-installed plugins, and everything seemed to be fine. Then I transferred one character and one camera and the result was 'An Unreal process has crashed: EU4-(project name).

Crash report files:

LoginId:f76a393749985a556d594ba489e099e7
EpicAccountId:f4641cde9be14d648c7dd01ad43ef769
Unhandled exception
UE4Editor_Sockets
UE4Editor_RLLiveLink!FRLLiveLinkModule::Run() [c:\users\allenlee.beyoung\desktop\unreal\4.23\rllivelink\hostproject\plugins\rllivelink\source\rllivelink\private\rllivelink.cpp:205]
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

LiveLink looks like it would be useful but still have not been able to use it due to engine crashes. I suspect the culprit is on the Reallusion side with their plugin.
By Lord_Dreadmoor - 4 Years Ago
Dude, when LiveLink first came out I was all on board. I might even still be in the future when using direct motion capture live rigs, but ever since I upgraded to Unreal Engine 4.24 it has been a source of constant aggravation, not nearly as much with 4.23 as you mentioned previously, but now, total pain in the ass. Truthfully, I have been getting much greater results by bypassing the need for the plugin altogether. I simply export my based model from CC3, as well as animations from iClone 7, then make sure to enable morph targets when importing the character into UE4 via FBX so that facial animation works, then import the FBX animation files using the intended character as skeletal reference. Boom, done. Now I can animate both my CC3 characters as well as my UE4 characters at the same time, in the same sequencer, without having to run two programs at once and eat up all that additional RAM. I know that there are people who have shown amazing results using the plugin and I'm hoping to do the same at some point, so it's all a matter of preference, but for me, at this moment and the amount of work I need to complete, I can't afford the constant errors and crashes, so bypass it is. 
Good to know and thanks for sharing. Although I would like to get the Live Link plugin figured out, I think I will do what your suggesting until they work through the problems. It has been pure aggravation and I'm not getting anything done. Plus I just moved over from Unity so trying to learn UE4 at the same time. The biggest reason I started using UE4 over Unity was the Live Link plugin.  Smile   Also, I did have someone tell me that UE4 is much better for filmmaking out of the box over Unity. Have you used Unity for film? 
Unity is better for coding if you are writing complex game code, but Unreal Engine is better by leaps and bounds for all around media production and a hell of a lot more user friendly right out of the box. Animation is a million times easier for me the more in depth I get with UE4 and after seeing that Jon Favreau uses it production for the Mandalorian, I felt even more confident about the choice to focus on production in the medium. Once I get skilled enough using it where I can replicate the exact look of my models rendered in CC3 Iray, then I'll be totally in love with the program.
Lord_Dreadmoor (3/5/2020)
Unity is better for coding if you are writing complex game code, but Unreal Engine is better by leaps and bounds for all around media production and a hell of a lot more user friendly right out of the box. Animation is a million times easier for me the more in depth I get with UE4 and after seeing that Jon Favreau uses it production for the Mandalorian, I felt even more confident about the choice to focus on production in the medium. Once I get skilled enough using it where I can replicate the exact look of my models rendered in CC3 Iray, then I'll be totally in love with the program.

Awesome, sounds like the right choice making the jump to UE4. I was really impressed with the making of Mandalorian and I'm very interested in Virtual Production. However, I think I may need to focus on animated only film for a few years, until I can afford the equipment and actors for virtual production.

If you figure out how to get the exact look as rendered in iRay in CC3, please share, that would be really helpful. I haven't worked with any of that much myself, just in the beginning stages of figuring out the workflow. Are you planning on making feature length film? I'm kicking around the idea of animated shorts for awhile to get community feedback and sell on Amazon. I'm sure they will kind of suck for awhile but it would gradually get better. My intent is eventually feature length and self distribute on Amazon. Although I'm open to learning more on the distribution front to see if there might be a better strategy. For awhile TUGG seemed like a good way to get into the movie theaters but they already went out of business.
Follow this artist's channels on both Artstation as well as YouTube if you want to see what it looks like to perfect animation filmmaking in Unreal Engine 4. This is the gold standard mate.

erasmus_brosdau.artstation.com

Granted, he also uses a lot of higher end programs in creating assets like Zbrush and Maya, but you can definitely still get comparable results using just the tools available like Reallusion software and maybe Daz Studio and Photoshop. You just have to do a bit more work, but it's definitely doable. A lot of work I post on this forum is part of a pretty large project I am working on comprised of several vignettes, varying in genre and style, which I plan to use as a grant proposal, so I'm taking my time to ensure that everything is polished as hell, even if I have to remake the same models over and over and over again until I am happy with the results.
Cool, thanks for the tip to follow Erasmus Brosdau. 

Maya is a bit expensive but I wouldn't be opposed to adding Zbrush to the workflow. Or maybe paying someone who is skilled in Zbrush might make more sense. Best of luck with your grant proposal; sounds like you have a big project going. I have not written a grant request before but I hear they can be time consuming. I look forward to seeing your work as you make it available.
By Bassline303 - 4 Years Ago
Yes I am with the Lord , tried Unity too , Models look nice with the hd shaders but Camera work is too complicated for me.
Here is another link of a Champions League Artist in UE4
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aRVVzz
Here is another link of a Champions League Artist in UE4

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aRVVzz

Wow, very realistic looking. I like it.

I was starting to get into Cinemachine but it sounds like overall UE4 is the best for filmmaking. 
I love that guy's work! Like any other form of filmmaking, half the battle is lighting the scene properly. That's why cinematographers make the big bucks, lol.
By AllenLee (RL) - 4 Years Ago
Hi all,
We have fixed many crash issues in the next version of the iClone Live Link plug-in.
( Especially versions of Unreal Engine 4.24 and 4.23 )

Allen
I love that guy's work! Like any other form of filmmaking, half the battle is lighting the scene properly. That's why cinematographers make the big bucks, lol.

At this stage I know nothing about lighting. But I do know it is important. 

AllenLee (RL) (3/6/2020)
Hi all,
We have fixed many crash issues in the next version of the iClone Live Link plug-in.
( Especially versions of Unreal Engine 4.24 and 4.23 )

Allen

That's good to hear. I'm using v1.11. Is there a newer one available for download?
danmiller (3/6/2020)

At this stage I know nothing about lighting. But I do know it is important. 

Here are a couple of really informative tutorials that can definitely help you...

Also, definitely check out the entire series on lighting in UE4 from these artists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaOQUZbUSvw&list=PLCRJGDO3d1kv2LhVh19zqCkGFOK7in14x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS6BR7L9kZc&list=PLL0cLF8gjBpqHndezz_A7DmrYz_M0LNjd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWADlXyfYCk&list=PLEopipDmYdmxGx2xMKHh31oLGtKO7fCBe

I'm headed to work but I will definitely check the links tomorrow when I get back. I appreciate the tutorials.
Dude, when LiveLink first came out I was all on board. I might even still be in the future when using direct motion capture live rigs, but ever since I upgraded to Unreal Engine 4.24 it has been a source of constant aggravation, not nearly as much with 4.23 as you mentioned previously, but now, total pain in the ass. Truthfully, I have been getting much greater results by bypassing the need for the plugin altogether. I simply export my based model from CC3, as well as animations from iClone 7, then make sure to enable morph targets when importing the character into UE4 via FBX so that facial animation works, then import the FBX animation files using the intended character as skeletal reference. Boom, done. Now I can animate both my CC3 characters as well as my UE4 characters at the same time, in the same sequencer, without having to run two programs at once and eat up all that additional RAM. I know that there are people who have shown amazing results using the plugin and I'm hoping to do the same at some point, so it's all a matter of preference, but for me, at this moment and the amount of work I need to complete, I can't afford the constant errors and crashes, so bypass it is. 

So I tried what you suggested to stay away from Live Link for now. But it ended up crashing UE4 and not importing the character from CC3. Here is what I did:

1. Exported character from CC3.
2. Imported the FBX into UE4 by drag/drop into the editor.

For this test I didn't do anything with animations. If I understood you correctly, you are able to export any character you want from CC3 to be used in UE4. And you are able to do animations in iClone 7, export and import into UE4.  So if I'm understanding correctly I should be able to simply bring a character into UE4 from CC3.

Prior to bringing it in I did install the autosetup plugin from RL. I checked to make sure all was well with no errors and then brought the character in. I'm pretty sure the autosetup plugin has to be installed before I can work with CC3 characters. On import of the character, I selected the highest quality shader.

These are the errors upon crashing:
LoginId:f76a393749985a556d594ba489e099e7
EpicAccountId:f4641cde9be14d648c7dd01ad43ef769
Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000068
UE4Editor_RLPlugin!UCCFbxFactory::FactoryCreateFile() [c:\users\allenlee.beyoung\desktop\unreal\4.24\rllivelink\rllivelink\rlplugin\hostproject\plugins\rlplugin\source\rlplugin\private\ccfbxfactory.cpp:307]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_AssetTools
UE4Editor_AssetTools
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
kernel32
ntdll

This line would indicate a connection with Live Link. Maybe it's looking for it. 
Any ideas?

FactoryCreateFile() [c:\users\allenlee.beyoung\desktop\unreal\4.24\rllivelink\rllivelink\rlplugin\hostproject\plugins\rlplugin\source\rlplugin\private\ccfbxfactory.cpp:307]

What I would suggest is making sure Live Link is deactivated in the project and trying again.
Lord_Dreadmoor (3/10/2020)
What I would suggest is making sure Live Link is deactivated in the project and trying again.

The RL LiveLink plugin is disabled. UE4 LiveLink is enabled but I disabled to try the import again. Same result. It seems like an issue with the RL Auto Setup plugin that is supposed to auto configure the character. So far I haven't had any success with RL and Unreal. 
By unit23 - 4 Years Ago
danmiller (3/10/2020)
But it ended up crashing UE4 and not importing the character from CC3. Here is what I did:

1. Exported character from CC3.
2. Imported the FBX into UE4 by drag/drop into the editor.

Hello Dan, which versions do you use of Unreal and AS?
And did you follow the steps given here for the export/import process? https://manual.reallusion.com/CC_and_IC_Auto_Setup_Plugin/ENU/CC_and_iC_Auto_Setup/1.0/02_for_Unreal/Importing_Character_FBX_File.htm
And are you sure that you drag & dropped the *.FBX file, there is another file with the same naming but different extension. 

Hello Dan, which versions do you use of Unreal and AS?
And did you follow the steps given here for the export/import process? https://manual.reallusion.com/CC_and_IC_Auto_Setup_Plugin/ENU/CC_and_iC_Auto_Setup/1.0/02_for_Unreal/Importing_Character_FBX_File.htm
And are you sure that you drag & dropped the *.FBX file, there is another file with the same naming but different extension. 

Hello, I used a RL video for import the first time and yes, I did drag and drop the correct file. After referencing the link you provided, I did see errors that I made and the video didn't cover it. I think moving forward I need to check the manual first 

I am 99% imported and presented with Data Table Options that I don't know how to answer. I referenced the manual, the forum, and the video didn't cover it. Do you know what I'm supposed to put in the fields? Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

UE4 version: 4.24
Auto Setup Plugin:  Version 1.03 (Release Date: 2020-01-13)
Version 1.03 is compatible with Unreal Engine 4.24.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5b2407d3-b7af-4338-a327-e33f.jpg
By unit23 - 4 Years Ago
danmiller (3/10/2020)
..presented with Data Table
This is because you try to import the wrong file, you import the *.JSON file, but we need the *.FBX file. Hence, try to import the other file with the same name, that should resolve this issue. Cheers.
unit23 (3/10/2020)
danmiller (3/10/2020)
..presented with Data Table
This is because you try to import the wrong file, you import the *.JSON file, but we need the *.FBX file. Hence, try to import the other file with the same name, that should resolve this issue. Cheers.

LOL, I must be getting tired. That time I dropped 4 files in the folder because I saw this image. I shall try again, FBX only.  The text is very clearly stated but been up nearly 24 hrs now and about done. Thanks. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9fc90356-8fcb-4d7c-8530-990a.jpg
Thanks for the help, everything is working fine. 
By james_875245 - 4 Years Ago
Thanks for this, I had the same issue, on quick glance it looks like all 4 of the items are to be dropped into unreal.  Kept getting the json error, helped me, Thanks!
By Garry_Seven_of_one - 4 Years Ago
HiI

Did you ever resolve this with 4.24. I have the same issue on 2 machines today after just installing it

Thanks
By chris_157146 - 4 Years Ago
I've just had a play with live link and 4.24 Unreal and am yet to do a transfer without a crash. I can't get camera focus to link through to UE4, but then the transfer process has never actually successfully completed.

I was using the characters from CC3 and animations from iClone FBX import method and was pretty pleased with it, but wondered what I was missing with Live link

I see the advantage of live link is that you can tweak your animations in real time without the need to keep re-importing. The camera and lights are a bonus, but equally you could just do this in UE4 and avoid a lot of trouble.

For my next shot I am going to use live link to adjust the animation in iClone. Once perfected I will use the tried and tested CC3 and iClone FBX export method (which is actually not that many clicks). This might be the best of both worlds.
So much for my theory - I've had to disable the plugin to stabilise UE4. Come on Reallusion, this could be a good tool but I'll come back once it's finished.....
By unit23 - 4 Years Ago
chris_157146 (6/3/2020)
So much for my theory - I've had to disable the plugin to stabilise UE4. Come on Reallusion, this could be a good tool but I'll come back once it's finished.....

Hi, you have mentioned using CC3, what exactly is the problem? Ideally you would create an extra topic for it.
Sorry I should have clarified....

I was going to use Live Link to do the initial transfer of the character and then Live Link the animation process. Then use CC3 export FBX to transfer the characters and iClone FBX export to transfer the animation I had created using live link as Live Link is just too unstable at present.

The problem being that I can't get UE4 stable enough with the Live Link plugin enabled to really work with it. I will give it another go when I start the next shot, but at the moment the Live Link plugin is disabled so that I can get on.

I'm using UE4.24, maybe things will be better when the 4.25 Live Link is released.